Brewing Activity March 2016

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by stealth, Mar 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Pooh-Bah (2,111) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society

@Brew_Betty your thoughts on murrican goldings? I have ever heard or used them.

2. Brew_Betty

Brew_Betty Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2015 Wisconsin

Last time I used them was a few years ago. They were similar to EKG with light apricot and light resin. Haven't tasted the current batch yet.

3. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Pooh-Bah (2,111) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society

4. NiceFly

NiceFly Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2011 Tajikistan

All I can think of is the suction pulling the stopper into the carboy. Doh!

5. Oktoberfist

Oktoberfist Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

Picked up ingredients for a saison this past weekend. Hopefully brewing it sometime this week.

6. CADETS3

CADETS3 Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 Texas

Ran a water test on my new electrical system and getting ready for its first brew. I'm trying to be the hang of the PID controllers still.... Can't seem to figure out some things.

NiceFly and ChrisMyhre like this.
  7. ventura78

ventura78 Pundit (960) Nov 22, 2003 Massachusetts

Mashing up a house triple on a Monday night. These small batches are adding up

[​IMG]

8. pweis909

pweis909 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,176) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Society

Doing some tests with new equipment. Currently leak testing weldless fittings for a new kettle.

Edit: And purchasing some ingredients for an ESB and an IPA.

#128 pweis909, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    ChrisMyhre likes this.
  9. ChrisMyhre

ChrisMyhre Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2013 Massachusetts

Transfered a Belgian Wit to a keg(picked up 3 new corny kegs), first time I'll have 4 beers on at the same time with my new keezer build. Also transfered 5 gallons of Marshall Zhukov inspired imperial stout to a 3 gallon and a 2 gallon fermentor. Portions of oak spiral will go in each split between rum soaked and bourbon soaked. Tasted a little from the bottom of the fermenter. Even fresh and hot it has a pretty awesome boozy chocolate milk thing going.

[​IMG]

10. drinkybanjo

drinkybanjo Crusader (433) Sep 4, 2008 New Jersey

Did my yeast starter for the Wit I'm brewing on Friday. Had a gusher this AM, should have taken a picture but that wasn't on my mind at 5 AM. Still haven't taken a picture of my ESB, need to remember to do that this week!

ChrisMyhre likes this.
  11. anteater

anteater Pooh-Bah (1,852) Sep 10, 2012 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Bottled my peach berliner and raspberry berliner last night. Both were sour worted with a lacto culture from grain, then sat on brett C and a small amount of oak for 6 months.

I got carried away with spirit additions. I used a dropper to add different spirits to individual bottles and ended up with regular peach, chardonnay peach, gin peach, madeira peach, bourbon peach, regular raspberry, pinot noir raspberry and gin raspberry.

swolepeer, ChrisMyhre and jbakajust1 like this.
  12. Brew_Betty

Brew_Betty Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2015 Wisconsin

I pulled a young sample from the fermenter last night. They still have an apricot flavor. Didn't get any resiny qualities this time. They have a pleasant floral aroma. 40ibu from 30-10.

They aren't the same as EKG, but they do have some similarity.

13. Joenap419

Joenap419 Zealot (604) Dec 11, 2015 Rhode Island
    Trader

Sat at work figuring out recipes. Mostly SMaSH recipes and a hoppy apa that I'll start soon. Have a strawberry chocolate stout in primary.

14. Buck89

Buck89 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,718) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Boiled my sour wort Gose, brewed 3 days ago. pH was 3.6 with no off smells (to my nose). Pitched a generous 3711 starter. Planning on adding a Hibiscus tea at kegging.

ChrisMyhre likes this.
  15. invertalon

invertalon Pooh-Bah (2,065) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Brewed a robust porter last night... Pretty uneventful brew day (which is good)... Hit my gravities exact (O.G. was 1.062). Basically a tweak of a smoked porter I did a few months ago, just beefed it up some. A bit more roast malt, Maris Otter vs. standard 2 row, some Victory malt added... Still have beechwood smoked malt in the grain bill. ABV should come in about 1% higher if I get to the FG, last time I ended a few points high. Looking to get 6% and the 45 IBU's are from Nugget, Mt. Hood and Willamette.

16. Supergenious

Supergenious Savant (1,249) May 9, 2011 Michigan

Brewed a Munich Helles today. My first lager! It seemed to go fairly smoothly. Just waiting for some bubbles now.

17. chavinparty

chavinparty Zealot (641) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

Brewing an oat mild today. A little out of my wheelhouse but I'm hoping it's nice. Mashing high with 15 lbs organic 2row. 5 lbs organic rolled oats. Half ounce of simcoe for 60 citra and centennial at 0.

ChrisMyhre likes this.
  18. bgjohnston

bgjohnston Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2009 Connecticut

Off the blocks this weekend with my first brew for 2016. Once again, taking up the pursuit of a home-brewed IPA that I am happy with. Drank a good bit of Captain's Daughter and Sip of Sunshine over the winter for research purposes, along with a number of others.

Once again, Citra is a PITA to obtain, too... but working with Amarillo, Cascade, Galaxy and Mosaic today.

ChrisMyhre, SFACRKnight and NiceFly like this.
  19. stealth

stealth Pooh-Bah (1,819) Dec 16, 2011 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

Transferred my latest sour stout to secondary and will oak soon (rye whiskey oak). Added nectarines and peaches to an 18 month old lambic that was fermented with the wyeast de bom yeast. Apricots and some other stone fruits to follow as I find them.

20. scottakelly

scottakelly Initiate (0) May 9, 2007 Ohio

Brewed ten gallons of a Trappist single yesterday. 12 lbs Pils, 2 lb Vienna, 2 lb table sugar with WLP Abbey Ale. Smooth brew day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.