Brewing Inventions Not Yet Made

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by OldBrewer, Dec 5, 2018.

1. OldBrewer

OldBrewer Aspirant (247) Jan 13, 2016 Ontario (Canada)

Hi everyone. Just for fun, I thought it would be interesting to list those homebrew inventions that you wish had already been invented.

A couple that come to mind are:

1. A heated stirstick with a propeller, like a Sous Vide, but long enough to reach the bottom of deeper vessels, and with a wide casing, so that it can be inserted into mashes to heat them to the correct temperature.

2. A remote heat and waterproof thermometer that you can drop into a mash, without any wires, that you can read and monitor outside of the mash tun.

Looking forward to hearing about your wishes.

2. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (866) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Not that it's an invention, per se, but I want a brewery gimp. Just a dude that I keep in the basement in a box who I let out once in a while to brew beer for me and then clean up afterwards. Do you think that could be a thing or do you think it'd be frowned upon?

3. OldBrewer

I think it's already invented - they call it RoboBrew, Grainfather or Braumeister :-) Only it doesn't clean up afterwards.

thebriansmaude and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  4. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

I like that personal touch that the gimp would give, though.

5. Applecrew135

Applecrew135 Initiate (55) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

A "Reset" button that would allow you to go back in time and re-evaluate the decision you made that resulted in some sort of brewing disaster...

6. thebriansmaude

thebriansmaude Initiate (68) Dec 16, 2016 Alberta (Canada)
    Trader

A double door O2 negating hop addition air lock thing on fermenter lid: so it would live on the lid, you add hops , seal it up , purge it with CO2, then open the double door and hops or whatever addition fall into beer totally O2 free

Or like, a gimp would be cool too

7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,712) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

I wish there was an affordable test instrument that could evaluate the aroma/flavor potential of the hops I use to brew with. Lately it just seems that when I brew with brand x hops they could have aroma/flavors that differ notably. It makes it challenging to brew a given batch of beer if you don’t know what the hops are bringing to the table.

Needless to say but for beers that only utilize hops for the bittering addition this test instrument is not really necessary.

Cheers!

P.S. Thank goodness that there is consistency when it comes to the ingredients of malt and yeast.

8. luisfrancisco

luisfrancisco Initiate (166) Dec 1, 2009 Mexico

A stainless steel or otherwise unbreakable hydrometer.

9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,712) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

luisfrancisco likes this.
  10. CarolusP

CarolusP Initiate (107) Oct 22, 2015 Minnesota

Set an Alexa device on top of the Brewie.

11. BeerMaverick

BeerMaverick Initiate (193) Dec 14, 2010 Connecticut

Probes in the boil kettle and fermenter that track gravity and display it on my control panel (alongside the temps that the temp probes read). Perhaps even single probes that track all this data and even correct for temperature! The TILT hydrometer is intended to do this in the fermenter, but I haven't had luck with mine - it's always way off.

#11 BeerMaverick, Dec 6, 2018 at 9:03 PM
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 9:13 PM
    skleice and OldBrewer like this.
  12. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,469) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

Automatic immersion chiller scrubber/rinser.

13. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (250) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

It all gets cleaned last 10 minutes of the boil. :wink:

14. VikeMan

Heh. Yeah, but somehow it's a little less clean after each batch.

chavinparty likes this.
  15. InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas Devotee (414) Apr 16, 2012 Wisconsin

Haha, if any of the ideas I had weren't already in existence, which through patent research I discovered to be the case, I wouldn't being making a public announcement describing the idea. That is, unless they were crappy ideas, which I never come up with (joking naturally).

OldBrewer likes this.
  16. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (97) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

I heard the shatter proof hydrometers come apart really easily.

I am down for a wireless hydrometer type probe that can go into the fermenter,

OldBrewer likes this.
  17. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,243) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

18. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (118) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Powdered beer mix that works with a soda stream for times i'm too lazy to brew.

OldBrewer likes this.
  19. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,755) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

If you continue to call him a gimp, yes, that will be frowned upon in some circles. And probably the box-thing, too. But otherwise, I'm down with the domestic servant upstairs/downstairs thing..

20. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (250) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

I’ll just buy craft, I like the recipe design, experimentation, and process of creating something.

21. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

How about I call him Reek?

22. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (97) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

Will you serve little smoke's at your beer gatherings?

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  23. TheBeerery

TheBeerery Initiate (84) May 2, 2016 Minnesota

They have these... the care called Coriolis mass flow meters and I have 2 (BK and MT) on my panel. Bottom left and middle.
    [​IMG]

24. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

I never know whether I should be in awe of your brewing system or scared that it's going to become the next Skynet.

frozyn, chavinparty, skleice and 3 others like this.
  25. Tpat_11

Tpat_11 Initiate (16) Nov 20, 2018 Alabama

I am Jack's utter jealousy

26. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

I need to watch that movie again. And probably upgrade my brewing system. But watch the movie first.

Tpat_11 and TheBeerery like this.
  27. OldBrewer

I think I read somewhere that this had already been invented by the Germans a couple of years ago. I haven't heard anything about it since.

dmtaylor likes this.
  28. Tpat_11

Tpat_11 Initiate (16) Nov 20, 2018 Alabama

Priorities man

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  29. pweis909

Premium

Crafty German brewers, circumventing the Reinheitsgebot with whatever loopholes they can find. But for crying out loud, do not even dream of adding carbon dioxide.

OldBrewer likes this.
  30. TheBeerery

They can force carb. It just has to be recovered. Most have co2 recovery systems that do that.

VikeMan and OldBrewer like this.
  31. pweis909

Premium

So what you are telling me is that there is a CO2 loophole?
    :wink:

32. VikeMan

Sounds like a PITA. But regardless of the reinheitsgebot, it would be a very environmentally friendly thing to do.

dmtaylor and pweis909 like this.
  33. pweis909

Premium

For sure, in that sense, it quite elegant. It perhaps is even reasonable, in an abstract, way to say that brewing beer use this approach to carbonation is purer than trucking in CO2 recovered from another source. If I owned a brewery, it is probably the sort of thing I'd be interested in pursuing. But it could also be a PITA, and maybe figuring out spunding or krausening would be an easier way to go.

34. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (270) Jan 12, 2014 Utah

Pretty sure quite a few large breweries do this. I believe Sierra Nevada does. Wouldn’t surprise me if NB did too.

VikeMan likes this.
  35. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (270) Jan 12, 2014 Utah

You can pretty easily make this if you have a conical to use it on. If you google “hop dropper” you could probably find folks that have done it.

thebriansmaude likes this.
  36. TheBeerery

Yes many many do. After all after the initial cost of the condenser (basically condenses the gas to liquid and then you store the liquid), you never have to buy co2 again. For a large brewery that’s quite the savings.

37. TheBeerery

Much like other things created in the 1500’s we have found better ways to do it now. It’s a romantic notion sure, but current day it’s nothing but a marketing tactic. I don’t like the term loophole. Let’s call it creative solutions for the betterment of beer. :stuck_out_tongue:

OldBrewer likes this.
  38. pweis909

Premium

Sheesh. I need to rein in the witty banter. People around here seem to be immune. Siding with the rotters didn't win me any points in the hotsauce thread, either. FWIW, I really meant the "elegant" comment above and am enamored by the idea of not running out of CO2, or driving 4 hours to get more.

39. dmtaylor

dmtaylor Aspirant (204) Dec 30, 2003 Wisconsin

I believe New Glarus captures and reuses CO2 as well.