Brewing this weekend? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jlpred55, Sep 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlpred55

jlpred55 Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2006 Iowa

Since coming off a long weekend I didn't get to brew on, I've got the kettles fired up today.

Pale Ale- 5.5 gals
    30 IBU

92% Rahr Pale Ale Malt
    8% Golden Naked Oats

30 min- 2.0oz Willamette
    10 min- 1.0oz Pacifica
    Flame out with 30 min steep- 2.0oz Pacifica, 1.0oz Willamette.

US-05

2. OddNotion

OddNotion Devotee (478) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I will be checking in on my 100% Brett IPA that I brewed on Monday. Smells great so far but havent checked the gravity yet.

I will not be brewing this weekend per se but I am hoping to sneak a brew day in on Monday or Tuesday night where I will be brewing a beer inspired by Bell's Two Hearted. To open up a fermentor I will likely have to keg something, just not sure what yet.

Cheers!

3. sjverla

sjverla Devotee (490) Dec 1, 2008 Massachusetts

Avery New World Porter clone getting done on Sunday. Have to figure out mash tun deadspace today before my wife gets home from work. I'm brewing it at her request, and yet she's displeased with how much time (yeast starter, cooler conversion, starter step-up, brew day) I'm putting into it...

Also, anyone have experience with WLP013? The vile says up to 70, just curious if anyone has insight as to a temperature it performs well at.

4. udubdawg

udubdawg Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2006 Kansas

APA. not sure what hops I'm using, but I've got several lbs left from last year and a lot more coming, so it may turn into a "session IPA" :rolleyes:

013/1028 - I pitch 64 or so, and when I see signs of activity let it go to 68, and hold it there for a day or two depending on gravity. When it slows it comes out of the fridge and warms to room temp naturally. Fantastic yeast and my go-to for robust porter. Good luck!

cheers--
    --Michael

5. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (579) Jun 12, 2009 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Brewing up a riff on Anchor Porter with some rye and oats in there for a nice creamy body (partial mash). I have a vodka tincture with coffee and dark chocolate that's been sitting for a while so I'll probably toss that in secondary with some oak chips as well. Just woke up and it's my day off after 10 straight days at the bar, so I'm pretty excited to RDWHAHB!

6. koopa

koopa Poo-Bah (1,825) Apr 20, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Finally going to brew my first attemp at cloning Hill Farmstead Everett

Going with roughly:

75% pale malt
    15% crystal / carapils
    5% roasted barley
    5% chocolate malt

155F mash
    90 minute boil

28 ibu's worth of columbus @ 20 min

Planned on using WLP002 (English) but I mistakenly bought 1 vial of WLP002 and 1 vial of WLP004 (Irish) so I'm going to mix them and see what happens. The higher attenuation rating of the Irish yeast will probably make keeping the FG (1.031) on target hard though.

7. Theortiz01

Theortiz01 Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

Gonna attempt to make a sour mash pumpkin this weekend

inchrisin likes this.
  8. epk

epk Initiate (145) Jun 10, 2008 New Jersey

9. telejunkie

telejunkie Disciple (314) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

brewing a black ipa as a type this, first wort hops just tossed in.

Never tried Pacifica...what is your take on it jlp?

10. MADhombrewer

MADhombrewer Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2008 Oregon

Not brewing but I have two beers that need to go into kegs and one that I need to add some bourbon soaked wood spirals in.

11. MrOH

MrOH Defender (612) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Brewing up a big IPA in the hopes of using up enough hops that the GF will let me buy more once this year's pellets are on the market.

12. CASK1

CASK1 Disciple (334) Jan 7, 2010 Florida

Racking a schwarzbier and brewing a robust porter.

13. ventura78

ventura78 Aspirant (267) Nov 22, 2003 Massachusetts

Brewed up 18 gallons of a La Chouffe clone today, on monday we have 18 gallons of a Triple karmeliet clone to bottle. :)

Brewmaster6141 likes this.
  14. sjverla

What yeast did you use for the Triple Karmeliet?

15. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,062) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Subscriber

This is what I am doing this weekend!
    [​IMG]

Still picking the Cascade/Centennial combo right now and I will have to package the Blisk and Tardif de Bourgenone very soon to make room for the C/C in the oast. Still have another tray worth of Chinook and Galena (intertwined) in the back of my truck that I probably won't get to in time, but there is another brewer coming to get some of the C/C hops and I will give him the rest of the Chinook and Galena combo. Picked hops all through my lunch at work today and barely dented the C/C hops (1 plant each). Lots of picking/drying/packaging going on. I would love to just dump a couple pounds into a Pale Malt and Munich wort at KO, but I don't have time to brew on top of all the hop stuff.

16. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Defender (602) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

No, but I would have been kegging for the first time. Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, I have to wait until Mon.

Oh well.

17. Brewmaster6141

Brewmaster6141 Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2013 Minnesota

Racking a Luck Red Ale and then creating a new recipe with home growns. Some sort of strong IPA... anyways.

18. jlpred55

jlpred55 Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2006 Iowa

It is a pretty fantastic hop. It's very orange like in a weirdly similar way of an orange marmalade tasting English hop but much cleaner in its presentation. Maybe a slight bit of earthy flavor as well. Barfdigs turned me on to it so I blindly bought a pound and am really enjoying what it brings to the table. Fantastic combo with galaxy and I think right at home in a large variety of beers.

19. marc77

marc77 Initiate (0) May 25, 2001 California

A bitter. Hugh Baird Pale, crystal 55, a touch of chocolate. Challenger hops. Wyeast London Ale III. Easy peasy. OG 1.045ish

Brewmaster6141 likes this.
  20. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,002) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Found wild hop APA
    Enough dme to get 1.055, magnum to get me to 30 ibus, copious amounts of wet wild hops.

*crosses fingers*

afrokaze, cavedave and koopa like this.
  21. ventura78

ventura78 Aspirant (267) Nov 22, 2003 Massachusetts

wyeast 3522 Belgian ardennes

sjverla likes this.
  22. nhindian

nhindian Savant (914) Feb 26, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I planned on doing a double batch, but my temp controller won't get here until Monday. Thought about doing it anyway and swamp cooling it until my spare fridge was ready to go but eh

23. DarrenStory

DarrenStory Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2013 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Do you have a recipe you can share? I was going to brew a Two Hearted clone I found for Beersmith. Curious how it compares.

24. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (579) Jun 12, 2009 Arizona
    Beer Trader

The robust porter is really rocking right now, the fermentation took off in 4 hours which is my new record! Excited to see how this turns out.

25. inchrisin

inchrisin Defender (654) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

Gonna head up to my LHBS and pick their brains about back pressure issues in my kegs. I'm also buying some cooling fans for the keezer and considering shortening the bev lines in my keezer. I'll play around with mineral additions for cherry wine and If I'm really productive I'll throw together a Berliner weisse. It's a lot to do in one day. :)

26. inchrisin

Did you seriously make homemade screens for drying hops? That's a lotta work!

27. jbakajust1

Subscriber

Yep, I went to Lowes and bought 7 2X4s 8' kiln dried Fir, and had them cut to 23" pieces. Drilled them together at about 3 mins per tray. Laid them out 2X3 and put the screen over them, stapled the screen on then cut the screen with a box knife. Left one tray w/o screen. Put the spare blocks from cutting under the fan for lift, set the non screen tray on top of it to keep back pressure down, stacked the other trays filled with hops on top. Just about 2 days to dry. Put a space heater next to it today and ran bulk of the day to add some heat for the finish.

Today I packaged 2 - 1/2# packs of a mystery blend (guy bought a house with hops growing in the side yard and doesn't brew), 7.1oz Blisk, 5.6oz Tardif de Bourgenone, 9oz Galena, 0.4oz Willamette, and 0.3oz either Columbus or Magnum. I still have 2 trays each of Chinook and Cascade/Centennial blend in the dryer to package up yet. Add that to the 2oz Centennial and 10.8oz Chinook I packaged last weekend. I just might be set for the year... now I need to find time to brew a double IPA!

koopa and inchrisin like this.
  28. whereizzy

whereizzy Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2011 Wisconsin

I was ordered to brew a fruit beer for my wife after I took her to New Glarus last weekend. I'll split the batch after primary and try different fruits with each one.

BeahDrinkah likes this.
  29. inchrisin

A friendly reminder this is a VERY similar setup to how Alton Brown would have you make beef jerky. Food for thought. :)

30. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Defender (609) May 29, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

Brewed a low gravity Scottish ale w/ heather tips at flame-out. Had to go back to partial mash due to new small apartment. MO base with some pale chocolate & carastan, should make a killer session Scottish ale.

31. jbakajust1

Subscriber

And after I make beers from next years harvest I post a new thread... Why do all my beers taste like salty meat?

32. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Aspirant (267) Nov 10, 2010 Virginia

IPA
    Rahr 2-row
    Carahell
    Warrior (B)
    Centennial (F; dH)
    WLP002
    IBU 100+
    OG 72

inchrisin likes this.
  33. inchrisin

Rauchbier!

jbakajust1 likes this.
  34. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Initiate (0) May 21, 2010 Texas

Just bottled up an experimental 2-ish gallon batch done in my old Mr Beer keg. It had amber extract, some base malt and crystal malt in a separate mini-mash, and T-58 yeast. I have no idea what to expect from it. Raw data was that I had made beer, but whether I made tasty beer won't be decided for another couple weeks. I totally don't know what to expect from T-58. Oh yeah, I used a fair quantity of tettnanger hops too, and a smidge of willamette.

Next experimental batch will use the dreaded extra dark DME. Maybe I'll try something crazy and use 3711 too.

:eek:

From reading some threads on here, I suspect that because of my choice to use a non-extra light dried extract, there's a pretty good chance the earth is going to come to a screeching halt and stop turning just after I brew it.

:rolleyes:

inchrisin and SFACRKnight like this.
  35. brewdawg9

brewdawg9 Initiate (133) Apr 17, 2008 Oregon

Pretty nice hop. I brewed a wheat beer with them a few months ago, that my g/f couldn't get enough of, but sadly don't have the notes from that one to share. HOWEVER, this morning I bottled a Wit that I brewed a couple months ago (8 weeks in primary @70 degrees, using White Labs WLP400 Belgian Wit strain) where I used the remaining stash of Pacifica pellets I had on hand. For that brew my additions were .90oz @ 60 minutes, and .30oz @ 2 minutes, and let me just say this, this beer smelled awesome going into bottles. Now its' time to sit on those bottles for the next 6-8 weeks. If they taste 1/2 as nice as the beer smelled this morning, I'll be very pleased. By the way, those were the ONLY hop additions I used in making this beer. Cheers!

36. sjverla

Just starting the boil for my New World Porter clone. This might turn out a much bigger beer than anticipated...1.060 pre-boil OG...oh my...

inchrisin likes this.
  37. MarriedAtGI

MarriedAtGI Initiate (111) Feb 26, 2013 Illinois

Almost SMASH IPA. Maris Otter and Chinook, but trying Magnum for bittering to see if it has less harshness than all Chinook. Also, split into 3 fermenters with different yeasts: Conan (YG001), Chico (US-05), and the harvest from a bottle of New Glarus Berliner Weisse.

Had my wine buddy over to help, and he was definitely impressed and interested in what goes into brewing beer.

Also, went to Goose Island with wife and son for dinner yesterday to celebrate 20th anniversary, and drinking a GI Espionage from a growler now!

38. inchrisin

I'm sure Extra Dark DME is the stuff they jackhammer off the bottom of their vats at the end of the day. If you don't use all of it, I need to reseal my driveway and I'll take it off your hands. ;)

AlCaponeJunior and afrokaze like this.
  39. beer272

beer272 Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2009 New Jersey

I am not planning to start my fall brewing of beer until it gets cooler ~mid Oct I kick off the brews, bottling 3 beers that sat through the summer as an experiment in secondaries. I will start brewing quickly and up to the equipment limits once I go to get rid of these grain kits and specialty grains.

Months ago realized I was out of bottles. :) months later made some room, today too :) of a wee heavy!

40. beer272

beer272 Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2009 New Jersey

+++++++++++++++++++++

When did you start throwing Oats in your beer? better head performance, ah breaking the ~Reinsgebart rules. I just bought 4 AG kits with 8oz oats, :) eat one for oatmeal. Looks like a nice simple blonde ale with lighter hops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.