Brewing with Caraway seeds

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by ljbonadonna92, Apr 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljbonadonna92

ljbonadonna92 Aspirant (241) Oct 12, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

Has anyone ever brewed with Caraway seeds? I'm looking to make a beer based on Jewish Rye bread and don't know the best way to add the Caraway seeds or how much to add. I'm looking to make a Rye based beer with subtle hints of Caraway to really simulate a liquid Jewish Rye loaf. Can anyone help?

2. FeDUBBELFIST

FeDUBBELFIST Meyvn (1,069) Oct 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

Caraway is a very, very strong flavor. If I was going to do this, I would grind 1/8 oz (maybe less depending on what that looked like) and add it at flameout. Ferment as normal and taste when ready. Add more caraway in the secondary if you want more flavor.

Curious, are you doing a full batch? I ask because I don't think you want 5 gallons of this stuff, especially if you over do the caraway. Maybe just add the caraway to a gallon or two? But....you know your palate better than anyone else does, so if this is what you want, I hope you knock it out the park!

MrOH and PapaGoose03 like this.
  3. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,196) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

I would say add way less than you think that you'd need at FO, and then make a caraway tincture to add to taste at packaging. I've had beers with a significant caraway note, and as @FeDUBBELFIST said, probably not something you'd want a full batch of.

4. ljbonadonna92

ljbonadonna92 Aspirant (241) Oct 12, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

Thanks guys I'll take all that to the drawing board. And I was planning on a full 5 gallon batch but now I'll probably make a 2 gallon batch and see how it all works out.

5. Wanda

Wanda Initiate (128) Nov 23, 2006 North Carolina

Everyone's tastes are different (duh) but I like your plan of only making 2 gallons. I had a rye beer from a brew pub in Philly and it tasted like drinking rye bread. Good for a pint but don't think I could have done more than that in one sitting...and I like rye bread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.