Brews Brothers on Netflix

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by zachattack12, Apr 10, 2020.

1. zachattack12

zachattack12 Initiate (42) Apr 14, 2019 Kentucky
    Trader

Not sure if this is the right forum, but has anyone seen this show on Netflix? It has it's moments, but for the most part, it just seems like a giant middle finger to the craft beer industry. Anyone else's opinions?

StoutElk_92, mickyge and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  2. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,077) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Ya mean like how "Cheers" was a giant middle finger to bars or "WKRP in Cincinnati" was a giant middle finger to AM radio? I know I stopped watching TV News after I saw Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" and, man, I never set foot in a NYC cab again after seeing that mechanic Latka on "Taxi". (I did continue to do nothing, however, no matter how bad "Seinfeld" made it appear. :grin:)

jakecattleco, Amendm, woemad and 17 others like this.
  3. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,480) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Haven't heard of it, but why does it seem like a giant middle finger to the industry?

4. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,124) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

LOL I watched the preview and it looks funny as hell. I will be watching later on, thanks for heads up.

BuffaloBill12 and FBarber like this.
  5. zachattack12

Trader

One of the two leads seems to be a parody of Shaun Hill. He's the ultimate beer snob, someone who thinks that beer is meant to be appreciated, not enjoyed.

I watched four episodes last night. The show has it's moments. I noticed they name dropped a couple of LA breweries (Angel City and Mumford), which I guess gives it some kind of nerd cred.

The main problem is, it's overly raunchy. The Shaun Hill-type character pees in his brothers beer in an attempt to sabotage him. And in the end, it makes it taste... better? Come on, guys.

6. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,564) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I once tried to watch Trailer Park Boys on the recommendation of my nephew. About five minutes of that was all I could take. I think I'll pass on Brews Brothers, thank you.

7. zachattack12

Trader

I'm still watching, on episode 6 right now. This show is ridiculously stupid. The "beer expert" brother is trying to convince everyone that bottles are better than cans. SMH.

8. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,971) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Haven't seen the show, but bottles are better than cans. Just sayin'.

I like Trailer Park Boys, so maybe I'll like this show too.

Will give show a try, ridiculously stupid things sometimes are funny

meefmoff, Argail, FBarber and 4 others like this.
  9. jesskidden

Society Trader

Boston Beer Co's Jim Koch thought so, too, and even included it in the Samuel Adams Beer Drinker's Bill of Rights:

10. zachattack12

Trader

From the Sam Adams website: "Cans are also the best vessel for beer – despite what you bottle purists out there say"

11. jesskidden

Society Trader

Well, yeah, exactly - that's the point. Koch along with many other "craft" brewers* were once anti-can and now many of them are canning their beers. Did cans really change or did many of those brewers simply change their "belief" based on the potential to sell more beer?

Still lots of "anti-beer can" sentiment out there - can be found right here in the BA forums (right, @cavedave :wink:) - seems like a perfect topic for a sitcom.

*Two notable examples:

#11 jesskidden, Apr 11, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    woemad, ChicagoJ, officerbill and 6 others like this.
  12. zachattack12

Trader

Tony Magee always seemed like a bit of a nut, to me. But I am a huge Dogfish Head fan and Sam Calagione is a guy I have always really admired.

Personally, I think beer just tastes better in cans. I think it always did, people were just stuck in the past. But the idea that a "hip" brewmaster would be using bottles, in this day and age, is just plain unrealistic.

ChicagoJ and Singlefinpin like this.
  13. jesskidden

Society Trader

:thinking_face: An unrealistic sitcom?

Damn.:grin:

(I used to find it mildly amusing that some "Seinfeld" episodes featured the NYC-based characters drinking Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve, a beer popular in So. California where filming took place but that, as far as I know, was never distributed that far east by either of its 1990s owners [Heileman and Stroh]).

sosbombs, woemad, bret27 and 9 others like this.
  14. cavedave

Society Trader

I will bet you in any way that is legal that I can pour beers that are both canned and bottled, and you taste them blind, and you won't be able to prove that you can tell the difference.

pmoney2311, Rocket80, Tilley4 and 9 others like this.
  15. jesskidden

Society Trader

Why that restriction?

You'll never get hired as a sitcom show runner limiting your plot line like that! :grin:

(PS - The "goofy" next door neighbor ---- he's a state Alcoholic Beverage Commission Agent!)

woemad, desint, officerbill and 6 others like this.
  16. zid

zid Meyvn (1,203) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

[​IMG]

traction, woemad, OffTrail and 11 others like this.
  17. cavedave

Society Trader

Don't want to leave an out like, "well, I would take that bet, but that would be illegal." :grin:

18. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,448) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

I used to drink only bottles exclusively, then the cans started showing up with the argument that no light, so beer deteriorated slower.

Now, I rarely get cans, well only if I don’t have a choice. Why?

The damage that cans versus bottles does is incredible. This despite the fact that aluminum is easier to recycle (glass has to be sorted and it breaks contaminating the whole batch). While aluminum is easier to recycle, there is so much demand that it needs to be obtained from the ground, creating havoc for the environment. Glass is sand...

Well at least those are the arguments I heard...

Shanex, Singlefinpin, eppCOS and 2 others like this.
  19. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,076) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Like Judge Smails was a big middle finger to the court system. "You're playing golf and you're going to like it".

Singlefinpin likes this.
  20. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,655) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Maybe Jim Koch and Sam Calagione can shoot a commercial where one guy drinks beer from the bottle and the other from the can and they can 'discuss' this?:thinking_face:

21. cavedave

Society Trader

Nowadays much/most (depends on location) recycled glass is recycled locally as clean fill, and used in construction and landscape. This means, for recycling it travels less and is easier to process than aluminum. This is because, as you point out, glass is made from an abundant, inexpensive raw material.

VABA, meefmoff, BuffaloBill12 and 5 others like this.
  22. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,430) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

The show is South Park type humor without the humor.

bubseymour, Scrapss, Shanex and 10 others like this.
  23. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (493) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

i bottle all my homebrew, but if somebody offers me a can of good beer,,,,, ill drink it.

24. AlexM

AlexM Zealot (553) Jun 9, 2011 California
    Trader

Do yourself a favor ... if you haven’t already, watch Schitts Creek instead

25. zachattack12

Trader

Fair point, I should have said exclusively uses bottles. Hill Farmstead does use cans for their six packs. Jester King is bottle-only, but I believe they just do bombers.

Singlefinpin likes this.
  26. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Meyvn (1,133) Apr 21, 2014 Canada
    Trader

Yes. I’m a little disappointed this is over.

Part of the Canadian sitcom pantheon with Trailer Park Boys, Letterkenny, and Learning The Ropes.

Singlefinpin and AlexM like this.
  27. pro100

pro100 Initiate (107) Oct 12, 2014 California

Going to check out a couple of episodes tonight. I hear its mediocre at best.

Singlefinpin likes this.
  28. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,826) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Just started this show - 1 episode in - and its exactly what I'd expect from a creator of the League ... that being said, it was alright. I'll finish it. Some of it is funny, the majority of it was a bit forced.

#28 FBarber, Apr 13, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    Shanex, Singlefinpin and Squire like this.
  29. zachattack12

Trader

Funny thing, The League is one of my favorite shows. But, to me, The League never (or rarely) felt forced.

mhammon97, Singlefinpin and FBarber like this.
  30. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,430) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Forced, yes, that's what I felt. Along with an overall sense of disappointment from the confusion of rudeness with humor.

31. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (9,851) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

So stupid you can't stop watching? :thinking_face:

officerbill, Singlefinpin and FBarber like this.
  32. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,826) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I agree - Ive actually rewatched the league like 2 or 3 times now .... and no, the League was in no way forced - wasn't a lot of it improv though? I thought I read that most of the dialogue was improv on set and the scenes were more just outlines of what they were trying to accomplish.

Anyway, back to Brew Brothers - I lied. I made it through 3 episodes then turned it off ... it really just wasn't funny and they were beating the jokes to death using them over multiple episodes. I doubt I'll finish it at this point unless I run out of stuff to watch before the quarantine ends ...

Lare453 and Singlefinpin like this.
  33. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,165) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

I watched most of the first episode. "Idiotic" and "sophomoric" are the adjectives that come to mind.

woemad, Shanex, StoutElk_92 and 3 others like this.
  34. mushroomcloud

mushroomcloud Poo-Bah (2,446) Mar 4, 2005 Texas
    Society

Jester King is canning some beers now as well.

Singlefinpin, eppCOS and FBarber like this.
  35. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,478) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

I'm not here to engage in the near Holy War levels of "Glass vs. Can," which reminds me of the "gourd vs. shoe" parody in Life of Brian, but I will say that I recently read "The World in a Grain" book by Beiser, that gets into the long-term aspects of sand supply for glass (and construction) and it's fascinating if you want to learn more.
    Cans have now become dominant, and it does have costs, but I do pine for the bottles when I feel like a traditional beer has gone the can-way. CHeers to all... won't be watching this show though.

VABA, Shanex, champ103 and 1 other person like this.
  36. officerbill

officerbill Zealot (554) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Are there home beer canners ?

37. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Meyvn (1,102) Oct 17, 2012 Texas
    Trader

yes, but very few. The canning machines are several hundred dollars.
    I used to bottle, and now keg, all of my
    Homebrew.

officerbill and FBarber like this.
  38. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,655) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Bill, I have seen home canning systems available for sale at various HomebrewCon conventions but as was discussed above they are quite pricey. Too pricey for me.

Plus I feel 'good' in reusing my bottles over and over. Do you remember when returnable bottles was a 'thing'? I have about 100 returnable bottles as part of my stash; those bottles are heavy duty and they last a long time (i.e., many, many reuses). The modern day 'one use' bottles are OK but they will infrequently break from time to time (e.g., snapped necks during the bottling process).

Cheers!

zid and officerbill like this.
  39. officerbill

officerbill Zealot (554) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Thanks, I had a feeling that a home canning setup would be out of reach for the average home brewer.
    I fondly remember those heavy returnable bottles. The bottle had the original bottler and when we went on trips it was a contest to find the most cities or the bottle that had traveled the farthest.

40. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (493) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

yep sure are if you got the $$$$$

i got swing top bottles from recyclables store, like a ton for 15 cents a piece. sterilize, new gaskets and done and alot cheaper

cavedave and officerbill like this.