Bringing back 'Serving Type' drop down

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by rudzud, Dec 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rudzud

rudzud Poo-Bah (6,829) Apr 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Is there any plan to bring this feature back to reviews? It used to be a drop down to specify bottle/can/on tap/nitro/cask but hasn't been around for years. It's nice to recall what the serving type of whatever beer you've reviewed is (as opposed to merely writing in to the review). Plus...I always felt it would be nice to be able to sort by type. Or at least see the serving type...as there are plenty of instances where a beer may be great on tap but terrible in cans, etc. I know I used to try and scroll through at a store and look specifically for a a beer's serving type (ala trying to look for reviews that said they were from bottles as opposed to draft reviews).

2. mactrail

mactrail Poo-Bah (9,566) Mar 24, 2009 Washington
    Society Trader

Ummm, you could just mention it in your review, as people have been known to do. "From the 32 oz pigs bladder filled at the brewery tap on a dark and stormy night..."

3. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,565) Sep 24, 2007 Saint Martin
    Trader

Sure, but, it did use to be an option, one that I found useful. 1 click versus extra typing? I'm lazy.

BTW, shoot me a message next time ya hit the 'Ham. Like to grab a beer with ya.

mactrail likes this.
  4. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,050) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

I remember this as well and I imagine it's just too complicated to regulate. Meaning, for example, if someone rates a Cantillon beer and selects the "Can" designation, it is obviously false and misleading. So the mods would have to edit each beer entry to fit the specific criteria of the only formats said beer is available (if that makes sense). Furthermore, if a beer is DONG and then the brewery decides to package it a few years down the line, a mod would have to re-edit the beer entry. Just seems messy. Also, from my very first review, I've always started with "Poured into a (insert glassware)" or "Had on draft at (insert bar/brewery)" so I at least know if it was draft vs. bottle/can. Never felt this was an inconvenience personally.

5. VoxRationis

VoxRationis Poo-Bah (2,035) Dec 11, 2016 New York
    Society Trader

I agree with you. Mention the serving type in the first line of the review. I try to do it most of the time, along with glassware, setting, and production information. Haven't had too many pig bladders, but I'm always open to something new.

mactrail and bluejacket74 like this.
  6. Todd

Todd Founder (5,904) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.