Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Asia Bringing beer into Japan?

Discussion in 'The Rest of the World' started by distantmantra, Dec 1, 2013.

1. distantmantra

Beer Trader

I'm heading to Osaka and Tokyo this coming April and would love to bring my friend some stuff from Seattle. On my previous trips to Japan, I've noticed that Japanese customs is pretty paranoid/vigilant/etc. when going through incoming bags. Will I be given a run around? Should I not bother? I'll have about two hours to make a connection at Narita to Kansai International.

2. mythaeus

Beer Trader

3. distantmantra

Beer Trader

Yeah, I read up on it after making that post. Looks like I'll be able to bring my buddy some B-Bomb and Kentucky Dark Star.

4. Duffman929

Beer Trader

I transported a shitload in and they were more paranoid about the bottles breaking in my luggage. They wanted me to put them in my carry on. I tried to tell them that 40 lbs of beer was not going to fit in a carry on. After some hassle, they ended up taking the bag, but they wrapped it all up, in case something was going to leak.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe