Broken Beer Bottle Top

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RandyWilde, Oct 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RandyWilde

RandyWilde Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2014 North Carolina

So I was having some friends over and wanted to have a unique beer to open...So I open a STONE Distortion IPA, the wife bought for me while I was out of country, and what do I get??? A broken beer bottle. I was pretty upset, considering that I've always expected nothing but the best from Stone Brewing Co. Either way, I wasn't as upset that I ruined a beer as I was the fact that both my wife's foot and my thumb got glass stuck in them, but I guess there isn't much I can do. Its a bummer because I love Stone and all their IPAs but then this happens and tarnishes the Stone name for my friends and family ugh...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Any info/advice will be helpful!

2. MarkGamber

MarkGamber Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2013 Pennsylvania

Well, I can dig your being pissed, I'd probably be pissed too, but shit happens and one of probably a few million really isn't so bad. If I was your friend and you showed me the bottle with this story behind it, I'd probably ooo and ahhh over that more than the beer itself. And there's my advice. :slight_smile: I also wouldn't stop buying Stone because of it. Hell, 32 years ago I discovered a dead mouse in a beer I had already half drank. True story. Still drink. I never was much for common sense tho. I'm married with a kid and bought a new house in 2008. Still drink!

3. RandyWilde

RandyWilde Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2014 North Carolina

Well we didn't drink just because we didn't know the potential risk of drinking a small piece of glass, but either way, Stone is still a brewery I will always trust and swear by. Hopefully in the future we will not have these issues

4. ohiobrew

ohiobrew Initiate (149) Apr 27, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

I'm pretty sure if you send Stone pics/a write up of what happened they will do they're best to make it right. Stone and most larger craft breweries do they're best to maintain quality control.

jrnyc, Shroud0fdoom, drtth and 2 others like this.
  5. Justin8mypants

Justin8mypants Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2014 Oklahoma

what beer did you find a mouse in??!!

Kerrie likes this.
  6. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (331) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I always thought when that happens I just opened the bottle wrong. Is that a glass defect?

7. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,906) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Stone really shouldn't be held responsible for a bottle issue. The bottle was probably defective from the manufacturer, or more likely it was damaged in transit by the distribution network.

mudbug, Ozzylizard, jrnyc and 4 others like this.
  8. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

Probably what he was trying to do anyways. Who puts up a story about a broken bottle and asks for advice or info on?

Defects happen from time to time.

StrappingYoungLad likes this.
  9. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

Sometimes there are issues with the glass bottles, sometimes the cap is crimped too tight in some odd cases and cracks the bottle a little on the top lip.. Most often, it's the bottle openers that cause the issue from what I've seen.

10. MarkGamber

MarkGamber Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2013 Pennsylvania

I tried but it was 32 years ago when I was...uh...let's say 21...and for the life of me I can't remember. Let's see...32 years ago..."21" years old...employment was "singer in a punk band"....if I had to guess it would be Michelob or Old Mud or some such slop like that. You know, back when Molson was the "good beer". :wink:

11. Zetcha7x

Zetcha7x Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2014 Pennsylvania

Send the pics to Stone. They will make it right. Its likely a defect from the bottle manufacturer, that almost never happens, but you still got a defective product and if they want to keep your business they'll fix it.
    Its a same it had to meet the drain...

12. corgistout

corgistout Initiate (0) May 8, 2014 California

This happened to a bottle of Enjoy By that was chilled too cold and pulled out quickly and opened. The neck broke clean off but we weren't sure if there were any shards that fell in. We poured the beer through a coffee filter then drank it. It was fine and no one got hurt.

13. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

I work in the beer distribution industry, and this type of stuff happens all the time. Broken bottles, half filled bottles, a bottle with low or no carbonation. I probably see about 8-10 types of this situation a month. I've seen bottles popped for no reason, I've been told that static electricity can cause a bottle to break. True? Not sure. Let Stone know about the situation, if Stone won't answer, take it back to the bottle shop where you bought it and see if they will take it back for credit.

jrnyc, drtth and schoolboy like this.
  14. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

Elsinore, from Canada

5thOhio and PVMT like this.
  15. mr_monch

mr_monch Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2014 Pennsylvania

Definitely report it to Stone, but that was likely an issue with the crowner (capper) or just bad glass. If it's bad glass, they'll want to know so they can get the issue fixed with their supplier. Either way, they will want to know so they can fix it. Make sure to include any video codes on the bottle. I work at a brewery, and in the packaging area this is something quite common to find (we have a good amount of inspection equipment that keeps it from leaving the brewery). Typically, it's caused by the bottle not being lined up properly when being crowned, though bottles that are too tall can result in the same thing. Something like this actually getting out of the brewery is likely a fluke, and could have possibly even happened after leaving the brewery.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  16. Smileitsfreetobehappy

Smileitsfreetobehappy Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2014 Alaska

save you the trouble brother it wasn't that great

17. schoolboy

schoolboy Poo-Bah (2,992) Dec 23, 2005 Ohio
    Society

I college we took a Stroh's Bock with a big piece of metal in it back to the beer distributor and got several free cases (and a new friend). We ended up getting to run a beer concession at an outdoor festival - just my buddies, no organization. We took our profits in kegs (and drank like fish all weekend).

18. BeerDrinkersWorldTour

BeerDrinkersWorldTour Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2014 Northern Ireland

That is very annoying but you seem to have very good perspective on the whole issue and recognize the fact it can happen from time to time.
    Good job you didn't drink it.
    A mate of mine, back in High School, during a session decided to open a Bud by the age old method of placing the top against the edge of a table and the hitting down hard so the cap would come off... (you know that thing the 'cool' guys do in the movies :rolling_eyes:)
    Well this caused the beer to fizz so badly he didn't notice he had well and truly broken the top neck of the bottle and proceeded to swig away. Needless to say he ended up with a badly torn lip that due to the alcohol in his system would not stop bleeding. So he bled and me having a problem with blood in general fainted so the two of us spent a lovely evening together in the hospital with our mates laughing their asses off at our expense... Ahh the good old days:wink:

So good you avoided a similar situation..

zookerman182 likes this.
  19. Jason

Jason Founder (8,659) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.