Broken Glass Tales

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JuicesFlowing, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tikk

tikk Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2007 Canada (YT)
    Deactivated

Years ago I had my Portsmouth tulip shatter with my first ever, freshly poured and only one I got that year KBS in it. I was on the phone with my buddy trying to brag about the fact that I had just got my hands on a KBS and the glass shattered in my hand. That was my most memorable breakage, and probably why I hoard KBS now. Luckily I had no major injuries.

2. frazbri

frazbri Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2003 Ohio

That's why I've phased out my glass carboys.

3. frazbri

frazbri Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2003 Ohio

I dropped my Dark Horse growler onto a freshly washed nonic pint, breaking both last fall.

4. SouthAtholSuds

SouthAtholSuds Initiate (150) Nov 3, 2008 Massachusetts

3 years in a row I bought the overpriced Troegs Mad Elf gift set for the glass. 3 years in a row I broke the glass. I've learned my lesson.......maybe.

5. SackBlabbath

SackBlabbath Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2014 Kentucky

Or to add injury to insult.

Valleyview06 likes this.
  6. fscottkey

fscottkey Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2014 New York

I just dropped my favorite beer glass (picture below). We had a good run together - I bet we sampled 250+ beers together. But it is all over now. I figured this is the only community that could help me in my time of need. If I tell people at work I murdered my close friend and that friend is a perfect beer glass I'd probably get weird looks. (taps plays softly in the distance).

[​IMG]

7. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (5,450) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

8. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Poo-Bah (1,810) Aug 22, 2013 California
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    I dropped and shattered my Smuttynose globe a few years ago. First beer glass i ever bought and tried many a beers with. My condolences for your loss

9. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

Sadness fills my evening (after hearing of hundreds of people dying today). So Sorry for your loss...

LeRose and rgordon like this.
  10. matcris

matcris Meyvn (1,171) Sep 17, 2015 Arizona

Yup, that's a long second when the glass leaves the hands and your brain goes, yup, it's gone....all before it even hits the ground.

11. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,440) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware
    Society

I have known that loss of a great friend.

12. hit728

hit728 Aspirant (286) Mar 19, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

you're not supposed to get to attached to anything from Game of Thrones as they always get taken away from us too soon.

wesbray, BradenMK, fscottkey and 10 others like this.
  13. puck1225

puck1225 Poo-Bah (4,144) Dec 22, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

Sorry for your loss.

1000lbgrizzly and ViragS like this.
  14. Donkster46

Donkster46 Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2014 Washington

Sorry for your loss..

I'll be sure to pour out some beer for the dead homie.

Shroud0fdoom and 1000lbgrizzly like this.
  15. mctizzz

mctizzz Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2010 California
    Deactivated

I have some great glasses but never broke one I really care about. Though I have known other types of glass that I have been very close with and felt the loss you speak of when they came to pass.

16. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins Crusader (734) Nov 3, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

i've lost a lot of glassware man it doesn't get easier

17. SierraTerence

SierraTerence Initiate (182) Mar 14, 2007 California

If I worked with you and you told me that sorry, I would reply with... FUMBLE!

Donkster46 likes this.
  18. gatheredwaters

gatheredwaters Initiate (0) May 1, 2014 Vermont

BalancingBrooms likes this.
  19. SINKTIPS_N_SUDS

SINKTIPS_N_SUDS Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2014 Ohio

I almost started this exact thread a few weeks ago but wasn't sure anyone would understand the loss of a beloved piece of glassware. My condolences.

20. 1000lbgrizzly

1000lbgrizzly Meyvn (1,103) Jul 16, 2013 Illinois

One of my favorite glasses is sitting right here, it read all of the horrors on this page before I could shield its innocent branded logo from seeing... I think it'll take a lot of drinks before it's the same again.

Donkster46 and fscottkey like this.
  21. TwoTrees

TwoTrees Disciple (341) Oct 31, 2012 Washington

May we all hold our favorite glassware a little closer tonight, people...

1000lbgrizzly, fscottkey and WillemHC like this.
  22. WillemHC

WillemHC Initiate (154) Jun 21, 2013 Utah

I lost 2/3 of my favorites this year. One spiegelau IPA glass and one firestone walker tulip/snifter thing and I am still sad. So I feel your pain and am sorry for your loss.

23. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2013 California

RIP old friend.

24. thepenguin

thepenguin Devotee (449) Aug 8, 2010 Massachusetts

"And now his watch has ended."

1000lbgrizzly and MisterBisco like this.
  25. riverlen

riverlen Aspirant (222) Sep 16, 2009 Illinois

I've had a lot of glassware murdered over the years and most of it wasn't my fault. This thread is painful........

rgordon likes this.
  26. Kuaff

Kuaff Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2013 Alaska

Damn, man... just... damn...

27. jaytothen

jaytothen Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2014 Louisiana

My wife broke my Spieglau Stout glass last week. I know your pain brother.

28. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (2,202) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Yes it can be devastating. I have 40+ assorted brewery pint glasses laying around the house and I drink 95% of my beer from a St. Arnolds 16 oz tulip and my wife is constantly "why do we need all those glasses, you only use one". Mourn and move on, you will find another, yet fondly remember the one that was....

29. LakerLeith

LakerLeith Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2013 California

Hey I think I have this same glass. Not brand new, but slightly used. It's yours if you want it. Free. PM me bud!

Dragginballs76 and HopBroker like this.
  30. GSS

GSS Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2015 China

I've broken a few glasses and it does suck to lose a favorite. While not scientific, it's about the type of glass and the surface it is dropped on. I once dropped a good, sturdy mug onto a hardwood floor and had it survive. Anything thin or with a stem was born to be broken. And ceramic floors are the worst nightmare for glassware. Anything dropped on ceramic has no chance in my experience.

So, GSS's law of glassware: the proximity to ceramic floors should be inversely correlated to the level of intoxication.

31. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,947) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Society Trader

All glasses must break.

32. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (6,125) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

Sorry for your loss.

ps-They are selling tons of them in the TW here in Virginia.

33. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Poo-Bah (1,826) May 7, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

I wish I could tell you that I understand how you are feeling, but I can't. This has never happened to me. Sorry for your loss.

34. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,623) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Not exactly a broken glass story but... I was at a community music-in-the-park thing once, had a few beers already while throwing frisbee, opened a new bottle and took a pull - thinking man that's a salty beer. Took a look at it, and when opened, the top of the bottle had cracked off instead of the cap, and I was tasting my own blood. Just got another beer.

35. 3DMan

3DMan Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2015 Michigan

My story is not of breakage but still of loss. I had two Chimay mini-chalices (haven't seen another since) that disappeared while moving out from the house my brother and I rented about ten years ago. While they should be officially declared deceased, I still have hope I'll come across them packed up nicely in a box somewhere...

1000lbgrizzly likes this.
  36. BradenMK

BradenMK Aspirant (288) Sep 24, 2012 Alaska

Also my favorite glass, but I'm shocked you broke yours. I have an embarrassing habit of holding mine by the bottom and swinging it around like a sword (old fencer here) in order to get the water out of it after I wash it. One day by accident, I literally threw it nearly as hard as I could. I watched it fly from my hand toward my dining room wall, certain it was about to shatter into a thousand pieces (subsequently dreading that I would have to clean all of that up). It slammed into the wall, left a dent, and fell to the floor without a single crack in the glass. I've come to think my game of thrones tulip is indestructible.

#76 BradenMK, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  37. Ericness

Ericness Devotee (415) Nov 21, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society

I accidentally broke my wife's Rapscallion snifter while washing it the other day. We've had it for over 12 years and it came with either a four or six pack of beer she bought on her 21st birthday (we knew nothing about the beer at the time, she picked it up because of the logo). At least it had a good run and was filled with something worthy before it died (Other Half/Trillium Street Green). She took the news better than I had feared, though I still feel like a jerk.

In memoriam, from happier times:

[​IMG]

Donkster46 and Lonestar9 like this.
  38. VABA

Society

My post was in reply to the Ommegang Game of Thrones glass.

For some reason that was the first post that showed up on this thread earlier in the morning (when I did not have a cup of coffee) but now it appears on the second page!

39. Lonestar9

Lonestar9 Initiate (192) Apr 27, 2008 South Carolina
    Trader

I've not broken anything except a pint glass, but my wife has managed to break one of my tulips, some pint glasses, some wine glasses, and some highball glasses. Sorry dear but it's true. :slight_smile:

40. VABA

Society

Sounds like she is doing it on purpose... :wink:

Just kidding, I have broken many a glass when doing dishes. :grimacing:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.