Brooklyn Brewery Winter IPA

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by AccipiterofBeer, Oct 18, 2021.

1. AccipiterofBeer

AccipiterofBeer Devotee (457) Nov 28, 2016 New York

I'm going to be upset if this means no Winter Lager, which for the past number of years has been an excellent, highly accessible schwartz. The Winter Lager seems to have been removed from their website, with this Red IPA as the Winter Seasonal.

https://brooklynbrewery.com/brooklyn-beers/seasonals/winter-ipa/

[​IMG]

2. jonphisher

jonphisher Defender (672) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

I will definitely be purchasing it but the lack of “hazy” makes me wonder if my local places will even order.

Don’t know if you saw buy yards teased a winter lager, “long jaws,” recently. Maybe it will be a good replacement???

Roguer, Rug and hillind like this.
  3. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,249) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

I'm definitely interested ... gonna have to find super fresh if I'm gonna buy though. Brooklyn has always been a solid brewery according to my palate.

DCH and Rug like this.
  4. beardown2489

beardown2489 Devotee (461) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Sounds like a Simcoe version of celebration to me. Could be very good

DCH, mikeinportc, Rug and 4 others like this.
  5. ericwo

ericwo Initiate (81) Aug 21, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Still waiting for Black Chocolate Stout, did I miss that release this year?

jonphisher likes this.
  6. jonphisher

Trader

I feel like its usually november/december, don't quote me on that though.

mikeinportc likes this.
  7. AccipiterofBeer

I've seen pictures floating around of a 2021 version but haven't spotted it in the NY suburbs yet. SN Celebration and BBCS always seem to arrive at around the same time.

on the subject of the new Winter IPA, i'll definitely give it a shot but its a bummer that it seems to be replacing the Winter Lager, which was always meant to be a lighter dark beer in contrast with the heavier winter warmers like BBCS and others. A 7% dark(ish) IPA definitely contradicts that idea. Excelsior?

#7 AccipiterofBeer, Oct 19, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    DCH, BruChef, mikeinportc and 3 others like this.
  8. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (2,076) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Saw stacks of Black Chocolate Stout at an HEB in Austin last week, so it is out there in the wild

9. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,332) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

No Winter Lager is indeed disappointing, but on the other hand, a red IPA sounds good. Anything similar to Celebration Ale is worth trying. At this point, any time a brewery releases anything besides a hazy IPA it piques my interest.

GetMeAnIPA, AirBob, BruChef and 6 others like this.
  10. eagles22

eagles22 Devotee (440) Sep 7, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Just picked up a sixer at my local giant. I will never pass up a fresh red IPA

11. AccipiterofBeer

please let us know what you think.

o29, officerbill, ESHBG and 4 others like this.
  12. jonphisher

Trader

Hopefully we see it in NJ soon. I was lucky enough to grab some Union Craft Brewing Foxy (their fall seasonal a red IPA) when I happened to be in Maryland in early October. A very memorable and well made beer. If you like red ipas and get the chance I'd highly recommend it.

o29 and eagles22 like this.
  13. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,161) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I just visited the Brooklyn website to learn about this new beer from Brooklyn:

“FROSTY HOPS & WARM RYE

Cold weather calls for thick knit hats, swift sleds, and Brooklyn Winter IPA. this classic IPA layers Simcoe and Trident hops for notes of dark fruit, blood orange, and bright, frosty juniper and pine aromas. A touch of rye spice warms the finish to keep you cozy to the core. Stock up and enjoy the flurries while they last.”

https://brooklynbrewery.com/brooklyn-beers/seasonals/winter-ipa/

I never heard of Trident hops so I did a web search to learn:

“Trident™ was developed for those seeking a hop forward punch to the nose fruity, citrus, tropical, passion fruit blend to fit any beer style. Trident™ is a specialized blend with a much wider range of aroma and flavor characteristics than any single hop variety could generate on its own. Although, Trident™ is perfectly balanced as is, it can also be used with other varieties to build an even more unique, and potent flavor profile. The Trident™ blend is comprised of three unique Pacific Northwest-grown hop varieties, perfect for Hazy and West Coast IPAs, American Pale Ales, or Lagers.”

So, Trident is not a hop variety per se but a blend of three PNW hop varieties (which is apparently a secret?).

This beer sure reads to be an intriguing beer!

I hope that @eagles22 will provide us with his thoughts on this new beer.

Cheers!

DCH, Ranbot, o29 and 5 others like this.
  14. eagles22

Trader

IMO it's a very good Red IPA. Easy drinking for 7%. Can't wait to try this side by side with celebration

DCH, o29, Jaycase and 6 others like this.
  15. eagles22

Trader

On the maltier side but getting lots of citrus such as grapefruit and orange and the rye adds a nice little spice at the end

DCH, o29, officerbill and 3 others like this.
  16. AccipiterofBeer

17. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (258) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

The Winter Lager replaced the Winter Ale which was a Scottish Ale if anyone remembers.

AirBob likes this.
  18. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Poo-Bah (1,696) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Society

Supposedly arriving here Wednesday, along with BCS, & Black Ops in 16oz cans. :+1:

officerbill, jonphisher and kuhndog like this.
  19. Rainintheface

Rainintheface Savant (916) Apr 30, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Oh, this sounds right up my alley.

jonphisher likes this.
  20. jonphisher

Trader

I remember that beer fondly, with a delicious meal pre phish in NYC. Best guess 2011…for whatever reason a very memorable beer, meal, and time combo. Thanks for the reminder! Weird how certain beers can be tied to certain events/memories so vividly.

o29, ESHBG and Redrover like this.
  21. officerbill

officerbill Champion (864) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

A single hop blend appropriate for any style?

o29 likes this.
  22. o29

o29 Disciple (300) Sep 29, 2020 Texas
    Society Trader

Of course! Any style! As long as it's:
    :wink::beers:

23. AccipiterofBeer

Gave the Winter IPA a try. It's a solid IPA. It leans more towards the west coast style being more malt forward with a nice kiss of hop bitterness. There is a bit of rye spiciness to it but its not the star of the show.

Rug likes this.