Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Brouwerij West

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by BreakingMyBalls, Jun 15, 2017.

1. whiskey

whiskey Aspirant (273) Feb 25, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Yep, it's subjective.

Just blind taste tested 42 day old Picnic and 9 day old Julius.

Picnic won for me, won for one of my buddies and Julius won for the other.

Maybe being shipped in hot weather ruined it.

ayearetee likes this.
  2. dcgunman

dcgunman Defender (661) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

This is one reason why I stopped trading. I was able to ship my bottles/cans using FedEx 2 day shipping. While my recipient usually shipped ground shipping (which could take up to 6 days to get to me). So not only I was taking a chance on not fresh beer, but the change in temperature while in transit. So I just fly to the source these days. Or do in person trades (local or at LAX as they fly into LA).

3. Ponzu4u

Ponzu4u Initiate (36) Jun 19, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Interesting -- may be a topic for another thread -- but I too have found through personal experience that hoppy brews shipped across the country have consistently been disappointing and tasted a little "off" or at least muted. That's including TH, Veil, Aslin, Bissell etc. None of them are bad per se, but they just seem to lose or fade some of that hop "pop." I wonder if anybody's ever done a side by side with beer they shipped back from the east coast vs the same beer that they brought home in their suitcase. I didn't want to believe it, but it just seems like kind of a constant thing that I'm never blown away by these supposed legendary east coast hoppy beers after they're shipped to me. (esp. not enough to pay what seem like ever-increasing and exorbitant shipping costs)

Which is a big reason I'm so happy the quality and availability of these Brouwerj beers. Super Collider hit it out of the park for me and I just scored a 4 pack of fresh Starfish for under 20$ from the LBS down the street. I believe their overall quality has been trending up. And the art is just another plus for me -- Nychos being one of my favorite artists of all time.

BlazinHazen and whiskey like this.
  4. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Meyvn (1,192) Sep 3, 2008 California

I've noticed degradation even when flying some Trillium stuff back from Beantown. Bottles were still cool on arrival but the flavors didn't pop like they did pre-flight. TETO

I think I need to revisit Picnic. The can I was gifted from a friend didn't impress me.

5. ComradePalmer

ComradePalmer Aspirant (205) Jul 27, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Sitting in the tasting room, sipping on some Starfish and wondering if I should pick up cans of that or Super Collider.

I have yet to try SC and it's not on tap but Starfish is tasting great.

6. JeffTD

JeffTD Aspirant (218) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Subscriber

This batch of Starfish that just hit distro is fucking great - better than Supercollider IMO.

BreakingMyBalls and HopHead89 like this.
  7. j47paco

j47paco Initiate (99) Dec 19, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Currently drinking a Starfish, and I respectfully disagree. It's good, but I thought Super Collider was much better.

To each his own, of course.

8. mattycliff47

mattycliff47 Initiate (143) May 26, 2017 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

When was this batch of Starfish canned? I'm getting some shipped to the East Coast this week and I'm hoping recent freshness wins out over the long trip.

9. j47paco

Beer Trader

Mine is dated 8/3.

10. mattycliff47

mattycliff47 Initiate (143) May 26, 2017 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Ok so it should be about 2 weeks old when I get it. Excited as I've never had any BW before

11. ComradePalmer

Beer Trader

Update (for anyone who cares): I decided to get cans of both. Based on the strength of their previous canned offerings, it will be quality stuff.

UnknownKoger and HopHead89 like this.
  12. HopHead89

HopHead89 Initiate (56) Oct 20, 2016 California
    Beer Trader

I have yet to try the SC, but every bottle shop I go to has sold out of it. Just have to wait until they restock up on it. I very much liked all the BW IPA cans except dig my earth so far, that one was just OK

13. annakarina

annakarina Initiate (120) Jul 29, 2016 California

Dig My Earth is far and away the best BW beer I've tried.

KingMerx likes this.
  14. BreakingMyBalls

BreakingMyBalls Initiate (145) Apr 27, 2017 California
    Beer Trader

I agree, I think Starfish is my favorite of all of BW's cans that I've tried thus far (Dig My Earth, Picnic Lightning, and Super Collider). It has that nice piney bite that they other cans are missing in my opinion. All fantastic beers though.

15. OTB

OTB Disciple (389) Sep 2, 2011 California

They're crushing it. I like that little pine note too, reminds me that its a west coast IPA, really good batch.

Cheers,

16. brewaddict

brewaddict Disciple (368) Nov 25, 2015 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I've got to admit that my desire to chase can releases has diminished quite a bit in the last 6 months. So, finding good quantities of very good IPA's at local stores here in NorCal is awesome. I've only had Dig and Starfish so far. They both smell amazing. I want to say I liked Dig a little better if only for the better mouth feel.

17. dcgunman

Beer Trader

I'm liking StarFish a little better than Picnic Lightning and Super Collider right now. Still all 3 cans plus dig are good releases. Keep them coming. Keep em' fresh.

18. ComradePalmer

Beer Trader

Just cracked open a can of Starfish, I think it's a bit more harsh and less smooth than on draft. Still tasty, though.

19. MissFeisty

MissFeisty Initiate (147) Dec 18, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Maybe I'm crazy, but if all it takes is a cross country flight to make these so-called "legendary" IPA's not pop, then there wasn't much pop to begin with.

sharpski likes this.
  20. sharpski

sharpski Champion (846) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I was at an event for the eclipse this weekend, Brian and the Brouwerij West crew brought Popfuji, Dig My Earth, Supercollider, and Starfish in generous quantities. Great people and impressive beer.

I thought their IPAs were on par with my favorites from the NE (relatively few examples) and the PNW (a lot more examples).

The Popfuji impressed me the most, though. Not one of my favorite styles, but I went back to it multiple times with dozens of other options in front of me.

Got to try some Monkish, Beachwood, Highland Park, and Alvarado Street too, but Brouwerij West was the highlight for me.

J_BeerTimeYo likes this.
  21. jdtinthelbc

jdtinthelbc Aspirant (240) Jan 28, 2012 Missouri
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I moved to stl just before BW opened. Used to live in Long Beach and worked in Pedro. Had a couple of things when they were still nomadic and absolutely loved it. I've found one bottle at a restaurant in stl a few years ago-- I think they had some small, limited distribution to select bars-- but ever since then I've been craving it.
    It's a shame I can't find any willing trading partners!!

22. ElijahSF

ElijahSF Aspirant (210) Aug 30, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Beers are good, but they're also the most expensive cans in SF and I don't think that should be the case when compared to other cans that are available.

23. Ponzu4u

Ponzu4u Initiate (36) Jun 19, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Super Collider was 18$ a 4 pack. Think Starfish was 20$. That seems to be right on median for most haze 4 packs I've seen.

What are 4 packs of Alvarado St., Moonraker, Temescal, etc. haze going for up there?

24. ElijahSF

ElijahSF Aspirant (210) Aug 30, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

BW is $5.50 a can and some spots are charging $6 a can.

Every other can in SF is cheaper or at least for me they are. Even if they're the same price I don't think that should be the case. I don't think of them as the same level as Alvarado, Moonraker, Fieldwork, Cellarmaker and Henhouse. Maybe on the same level as Mikkeller cans which are cheaper too. HH cans depending on the beer style are half the price.

25. ScottWoerner

ScottWoerner Initiate (42) Jan 5, 2017 California

Anyone tried this?

26. sharpski

sharpski Champion (846) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

As with Supercollider, I'm still trying to figure out how they apply these labels without it taking 5 minutes a can. There's no vertical "line" on the can to indicate a start/stop point as if it's coming off a roll like traditional sticker labels, and this one has circles overlapping others. However they're doing it, it's some next level design.

27. jdtinthelbc

jdtinthelbc Aspirant (240) Jan 28, 2012 Missouri
    Subscriber Beer Trader

No, but I'd be willing to trade for some! Can't get my hands on it here in the Midwest.

28. _pat_

_pat_ Aspirant (233) Apr 26, 2016 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Seems like it does take more time than usual but you're right, they're striking.

sharpski likes this.
  29. ScottWoerner

Tried Falling Water on tap last night, very happy with this beer. Oat heavy on the nose, soft mouthfeel, pineapple/citrus taste with a touch of hop bitterness. If they were to dry hop/double dry hop this it would be next level. For now though, the availability and price make this a beer to get if you can. Not to mention the can artwork, I could easily look at it for hours. Well done BW.

30. HopHead89

HopHead89 Initiate (56) Oct 20, 2016 California
    Beer Trader

does anyone know when they will hit the streets!? Anyone see any yet out of the brewery being sold at bottle shops!?

31. ScottWoerner

Get them to compare with the Monkish cans.

HopHead89 likes this.
  32. dcgunman

Beer Trader

Compare the inside or outside of the cans man?

swanfungus likes this.
  33. OTB

OTB Disciple (389) Sep 2, 2011 California

[​IMG]

Big tropical fruit bomb with a ton of apricot mid palette to finish. It's very obvious the amount of raw oats, spelt and buckwheat they used in this from a flavor profile to the very lush mouth feel. Experimental IPA is a great term for this. It works though as there is plenty of bitter citrus to balance it all out. And that can art is insane. These guys continue to impress me.

Cheers,

34. j47paco

Beer Trader

*palate

Sorry to be "that" guy, but "palette" means something different altogether. Appreciate the feedback on the beer though. Looking forward to trying it.

OTB and ElijahSF like this.
  35. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Devotee (478) Jul 10, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

I hope they send that up north.

_pat_ likes this.
  36. AyeDogg

AyeDogg Aspirant (200) Oct 29, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

So are IPA's all these guys known for? The tasting room is a bit of a drive for me but maybe soon I'll drop by.

*Edit* Only had their can offerings of course.

37. ScottWoerner

Popfuji is a great pilsner. Quite a few Belgian offerings on their tap list. Completely worth the drive, their facility is impressive. Monkish is approximately 15 minutes away as well.

ComradePalmer and taylordane like this.
  38. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Zealot (530) Jul 9, 2010 California

Their saison and quad are both pretty damn good

39. jnance88

jnance88 Initiate (175) Jun 10, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

They followed the Monkish model. Known for Belgians, but saw the hazy IPA boom (and the money to be made) and got on the bandwagon.
    Not hating at all, just stating facts.
    And just like someone else said, the tasting room is very impressive. Massive. Inside and outside. And usually 3-4 food trucks.
    Why wasn't this place around when I was growing up in Pedro?

40. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Zealot (530) Jul 9, 2010 California

saaaaaaame

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.