Bruery 2017 RS/HS Allocations

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by tokimedo, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (275) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Stored in the basement, for a few months. Definitely M15 didn't go bad in a few months time.

okay, thanks. Glad it wasn't only me! Did you bring the bottle back for a credit?

When I opened it up last night, I poured some tasters for my friends. From the nose, they are telling me it smells like garbage. I laughed, and thought they were being funny. I remembered how good it was at the tasting room, the walnut flavor was almost overpowering! Sadly, it wasn't a joke.

2. OCJeff

OCJeff Aspirant (273) Mar 14, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Email the society, and include a picture of the etching on the back of the bottle just above the label. They will issue a refund.

3. goofyballer

goofyballer Initiate (34) Dec 21, 2016 California

Question about Rue d'Floyd - the page for the first edition is still up: http://www.thebruery.com/beer/rue-dfloyd/

According to that link the first edition had TCHO cacao nibs, but this year's edition (the online description mentions "notes of scorched bakers chocolate" which is probably just describing the flavor, and the bottle says nothing about chocolate - though to be fair, the 1st edition bottles didn't mention it either) appears not to. Is that correct? Seems weird to make a not-insignificant adjustment to the recipe of a beer like that.

I never had the first one, curious if anyone who has notices a difference in the flavor as a result.

NeverMeant and the_trystero like this.
  4. JoshBeerNow

JoshBeerNow Disciple (338) Sep 23, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Except...there is no blackberry in the beer :wink: It's boysenberries.

5. ivegot3Dvision

ivegot3Dvision Devotee (496) Feb 9, 2015 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Eh, Boysenberries are a cross between raspberries, blackberries, dewberry, and loganberry. So I suppose I was 1/4 correct.

joetouchton and JRGVII like this.
  6. scs

scs Initiate (27) Sep 7, 2013 California

1/2?

JRGVII likes this.
  7. mike409

mike409 Aspirant (220) Jan 25, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I also just dumped out a melange 15 :slight_frown:

8. johnInLA

johnInLA Crusader (747) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Premium Member

And Palates are like fingerprints, unique, distinct.

Whose to say that someone can't pull out blackberry from a beer with no blackberries in it.

It may be a stretch, but imagine pulling coffee or chocolate from a beer with no coffee or chocolate adjuncts, or a BA beer that someone tastes vanilla, when no vanilla beans have been thrown in. Toss in the similarity between blackberries and boyenberries, and I think a little slack is needed here.

When I taste cherry in wine, I've yet to be called out that its made with grapes.

Just saying :wink:

9. juji23

juji23 Initiate (130) Mar 15, 2015 California

I'm not seeing allocation pours listed on the tasting room websites. Are they still being poured at either room? Was planning a Saturday visit to help make some decisions.

Regarding M15. First bottle was hot. So I stuck the second in my closet and drank it over New Years. It was fantastic. Had cooled off so the creamy vanilla/choco flavors came through but still plenty of walnut.

10. johnInLA

Premium Member

Did you click on the Society Exclusive link, or are you looking at the main list?

11. juji23

juji23 Initiate (130) Mar 15, 2015 California

Thank you

12. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (547) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

You have a basement?

13. soco89ziegler

soco89ziegler Aspirant (221) Nov 28, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Damn, I'm a big fan of M15, will have to crack a bottle this weekend and hope for the best.

14. ernh

ernh Initiate (170) Jun 10, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Yeah, thank you all for the M15 heads up. I feel like it will soften a disappointment and bolster a deliciousness.

In more cheery news, I'm enjoying a Geriatric Hipster Club and think it's pretty great. I thought Dodie was meh, and I don't like sours so am biased on Imperial Cabinet. GHC has a lot of spicing (not sure what exactly) but it works. Really smooth with a warm but not harsh boozy finish. Bourbony but great balance overall.

15. Yabu

Beer Trader

Yes sir.
    Where else would I store all the bottles of those that I trustee @ the bruery?
    My wife would kill me if I had cases of beer in the living room.

16. DanGeo

DanGeo Crusader (796) Apr 2, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Also opened up an off M15 about 3 weeks ago. Poured among myself and 2 friends- nobody finished more than a couple sips before drainpour ensued.

17. JRGVII

JRGVII Initiate (146) Oct 26, 2015 Texas
    Beer Trader

For those that have tried Mash & French Toast and RDF, if you could only choose one to buy more bottles of, which would it be? I need help making up my mind :astonished:

18. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Aspirant (250) May 2, 2016 California
    Beer Trader

RDF easily for me, but except mash & grind, I personally haven't liked any of the mash variants so might be biased.

JRGVII likes this.
  19. Original_Fake

Original_Fake Aspirant (299) Nov 15, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Mash & Coconut out of the bottle was a real letdown for me considering how incredible it was on tap years ago so I'm hesitant on French Toast.

Joe_Mahma, JRGVII and Black_Rider like this.
  20. Black_Rider

Beer Trader

I too found it a bit lacking, which was a bummer since it was so amazing on tap

The original RDF is one of the best beers I've ever had

beersandmiles likes this.
  21. OCJeff

Beer Trader

How does this year's batch compare?

22. JoshBeerNow

JoshBeerNow Disciple (338) Sep 23, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

You know I'm just giving you shit Jimmy. :slight_smile:

RDF for sure. Mash and French Toast is good for RDF is next level.

johnInLA and JRGVII like this.
  23. ScottWoerner

ScottWoerner Initiate (50) Jan 5, 2017 California

Tried them both last night on tap. Mash & French Toast if you like maple syrup and nutmeg. Base beer is completely absent due to the adjuncts. RDF if you like coffee imperial stouts, didn't get much vanilla and cherry. As it warmed, coffee faded and the vanilla came out more.

24. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Meyvn (1,028) Oct 24, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

That sucks about the M&C. That beer was bomb off tap.

25. Black_Rider

Beer Trader

Haven't had yet but will soon

26. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (359) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

I've thoroughly enjoyed 4-5 bottles and have more en route. I got a growler in 2014 shipped to me so it was hard to compare that to a fresh bottle, I feel the growler may have had more coconut but I still get plenty in the bottles. Different palates I guess.

Rollzroyce21 likes this.
  27. dcbullet

dcbullet Initiate (104) Dec 18, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I also think M&C was great out of the bottle. My favorite Bruery bottle release from 2016.

mayorQuimby and Rollzroyce21 like this.
  28. dirtyhalos

dirtyhalos Initiate (103) Apr 10, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

RdF

JRGVII likes this.
  29. goofyballer

Out of the bottle, I never felt like I got much vanilla but the cherry was always present (and amazing).

30. SuperWhip

SuperWhip Initiate (156) Jul 13, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I get what you are saying but all three of the flavors you mentioned can be tasted in beer without the adjunct

Coffee you can get from roast malts, there's even a coffee malt that imparts a coffee like flavor
    Chocolate you can get from chocolate malts in fact Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout does not use any adjuncts
    Vanilla you can get straight from the barrel

JRGVII likes this.
  31. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (359) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

I can't count the number of customers I've notified that Brooklyn BCS isn't actually a chocolate beer. Great beer, horribly misleading name.

32. Yabu

Beer Trader

No, it's not new. Definitely it's an odd design.

As for Mash & coconut, I only had it once from the bottle. It seemed the coconut clashed with the base, and coconut wasn't forward as the vanilla was in M&V. I liked it, but M&V was better imo. Will revisit M&C if it's still on tap next time I'm there.

I love the Mash & Vanilla, both times they were wonderful.

Looking forward to Mash & French Toast

SuperWhip and Rollzroyce21 like this.
  33. ScottWoerner

Didn't particularly enjoy M&C, thought M&FT was much better.

JRGVII likes this.
  34. ScottWoerner

Hoping the vanilla and cherries are much stronger out of the bottle.

35. goofyballer

Anyone tried The Order on tap? Curious for reviews, my favorite Belgian style tends to be quads with dark fruit notes and The Order having dates added is encouraging on that front.

36. mayorQuimby

mayorQuimby Devotee (487) Jun 5, 2009 Tennessee
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Opened M&C over Xmas w/my whole family, everybody was losing their shit. Can't wait to have the rest of my bottles in hand...

37. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Aspirant (250) May 2, 2016 California
    Beer Trader

The original RDF, and this one for most part (give a few weeks to the coffee and it'll get even better), it wasn't about each of the adjuncts specifically, but the (cueing from MT descriptors now) a symphony of flavor that exceeded their individual contribution.

Rocket80 and JRGVII like this.
  38. Joe_Mahma

Joe_Mahma Disciple (308) Dec 8, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Can anyone tell me if Rue d Floyd is a Hoarders exclusive? A friend tells me yes when I have an email saying its a Reserve exclusive

39. OCJeff

Beer Trader

Reserve exclusive means reserve and higher. Reserve membership had included two bottles and should get access to additional bottles later this month via the allocations.

If it was a Hoarders Exclusive then RS would get none (up front that is, it may fall out of exclusivity if not enough HS members buy bottles).

Joe_Mahma and infectedstouts like this.
  40. johnInLA

Premium Member

Did you really get what I was saying?

Almost everyone on this site knows you can get chocolate and coffee from malt, and vanilla from the barrel.

Hint: Sarcasm, dry humor :wink:

And as a wise man on this site once said

I was just returning the favor :slight_smile:

Can't always take us too seriously here. Sometimes we are just having light hearted fun

SuperWhip likes this.