Bruery 2017 RS/HS Allocations

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by tokimedo, Dec 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sean_paul

sean_paul Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2014 California

Line out the door near the street. Someone hit a fire hydrant, street is flooded.

KevSal and taylordane like this.
  2. Jafix

Jafix Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2016 California

Wow, you weren't joking lol.

KevSal, TrojanRB, taylordane and 3 others like this.
  3. hbmcdrew

hbmcdrew Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2016 California

Now that's a Grey Monday.

gibgink, Sumdeus, taylordane and 4 others like this.
  4. sean_paul

sean_paul Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2014 California

i don't joke brah!! Grey Monday apology beer. Noble after this!!

5. Keyser

Keyser Initiate (86) Jan 27, 2015 California
    Trader

I went by around 5:30, saw the huge crowd and said nope and drove away...

6. BeersandBread

BeersandBread Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2016 California

What's it like now? About to leave Bottle Logic...

7. OCJeff

OCJeff Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2015 California

I sat this one out and enjoyed a 2016 Mocha Wednesday instead - trying to figure out how many to buy this year. Soooo good. Still lots of coffee but very smooth.

SammyJaxxxx, hbmcdrew and EPpy like this.
  8. mukesmemehouse

mukesmemehouse Initiate (36) Jan 5, 2016 California

Is it a terreux collab?
    Maybe they can make some orange Creamsicle sour

9. sponger

sponger Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2011 California

That 2017 white chocolate was damn good today. I gotta pick up alot of bottles of it.

10. hbmcdrew

hbmcdrew Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2016 California

How was the 2017 Mocha Wednesday?

11. fegelFatso

fegelFatso Initiate (178) Jun 23, 2013 California

Yeah... After our first flight, my group went to the OG tasting room and pounded some Out of the Lunch Boxes!

12. fegelFatso

I didn't do it :slight_smile:

13. josh_avery

josh_avery Initiate (0) May 5, 2014 California

2017 Mocha Wednesday was awesome. Probably the best year yet. The Pommereux was also a standout for me.

Yabu and fegelFatso like this.
  14. fegelFatso

This will probably be the snobbiest post I ever make in here, but I guess this is as good a place as any to post my thoughts about today's SMM:

1. Open the Terreux TR at noon... I think that would stagger some of the crowd. Waiting 30-45 minutes for a beer is a bit off-putting.
    2. God bless the awesome people behind the counter, but they were way, way understaffed for tonight. I know it's a (huge) gamble, but I think it would be better to be over prepared in terms of staffing than under prepared for future SMM's.
    3. I like the novelty of the passport, but it's something that's easy to forget (especially if you live in Long Beach, work in Rancho Cucamonga, and are hitting up SMM on the way home). I feel kind of bummed that despite being there tonight, I missed out on the stamp (or any record of being there) simply because I forgot my book.

With all of that said, today was probably the biggest day for Terreux since opening... I was so glad to see how much of a hit it was, and I loved being apart of it.

BeersandBread likes this.
  15. infectedstouts

infectedstouts Initiate (68) Dec 7, 2015 California
    Trader

Ohhh how that beer is so amazing. Pb&j sandwich for dayzzzz. Everyone should try this beer.......Everyone

Blackcomb and fegelFatso like this.
  16. brewaddict

brewaddict Aspirant (276) Nov 25, 2015 California
    Trader

SSM? I think King Jaffe hit it.

King_Jaffe_Joffer9 likes this.
  17. sponger

sponger Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2011 California

The coffee was a lil overpowering, but not unbearable. A lil heat obviously from the abv of it. I have 1 coming in the preservation package and im looking to get possibly 3 more. Liked white choco more, and that frucht boysenberry is so pretty in the glass. Really enjoyable to, on the cheap.

18. PG2G

PG2G Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2011 California

Yeah it is Terreux

19. kbenson

kbenson Initiate (110) Aug 15, 2012 Texas

I need some more Pommereux reviews please! With that many people apparently there, I hope at least a few people tried it....

The idea of an apple cider sour simultaneously sounds interesting and awful.

mukesmemehouse likes this.
  20. Blackcomb

Blackcomb Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2015 California

I agree with opening at noon instead of 4 for SMM. I got there right at 4 and it wasn't too bad, but after about 45 mins when I was leaving it was getting pretty crowded. I'd imagine if you kept your receipt from the night, the Society folks would ensure you get a stamp (they are always more than fair with stuff like that). I simply keep mine in the glove box (I also kept my Bottle Logic passport in there) so it's easy to snag when needed.

I enjoyed a flight of the new allocation beers. Mocha Wednesday, Melange 3, and White Chocolate were in line with what I recall having before. Frucht: Boysenberry was pretty tasty and probably one of my favorites of the series so far (I've enjoyed each of them). Pommereux really impressed me. Tart, crisp and a slight funk. Very sessionable and enjoyable. I did have a Tart of Darkness as well. It's not a beer I would normally have or purchase, but if you have liked it before, I see no reason you wouldn't like this years as well.

SuperWhip and ivegot3Dvision like this.
  21. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Aspirant (226) May 2, 2016 California
    Trader

Now that I think of it, Instagram had someone from Terruex visiting monkish for a collab, maybe they brought back monkish lines to the tap room?

22. BeersandBread

BeersandBread Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2016 California

I agree. I got there at 8:45pm and finally got my. Ever at 9:40pm. That line DID NOT move. I'm assuming it was because they were understaffed.

I think a fix would be to open Terreux at noon but also closing off the original tasting for for members only as well.

Problem solved, members happy.

fegelFatso likes this.
  23. Jafix

Jafix Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2016 California

I think the biggest issue is the fact that 100% of the line was getting flights, which take a lot more time to serve (not to mention growler fills). Honestly I think if they did a prepaid token for taster, and kegs setup on the patio to pour the new allocations from it'd make it much better. Probably not nearly enough space to do that, but hey... its a thought.

Opening at noon should definitely be what happens next month though... I can't think of a good excuse not to.

yokels and BeersandBread like this.
  24. JoshBeerNow

JoshBeerNow Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2014 California

100% they need to open at noon. If that doesn't solve the problem, sadly they need to roll back the friend feature. The outside bar also didn't take cash which was slowing things down a bit. The guy walking around with archive bottle pours was barely seen. I think I saw him once, from across the room during the course of 2 hours.

That being said, the staff was great and very friendly. I know they were doing the best they could with what they had to deal with. It was nice to see the brewers jumping in and picking up glass and helping out.

fegelFatso and Blackcomb like this.
  25. Blackcomb

Totally agree with this, and it can't be stated enough. The Staff were AWESOME, and doing the best they could. Newer format on these SMM's this year, so hopefully for the next one they can get it working even better.

26. Nasthyone

Nasthyone Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2015 California

Got there just before 6, took about 45 minutes to get a flight. They had a little table set up to get your stamp that I wish I would have known about from the start. Could have just gotten my stamp and left.

They really need to open up at noon, or do as Jafix mentioned and have stations set up throughout the building to speed everything up.

fegelFatso likes this.
  27. Blackcomb

Like a mini event style setup where there are stations. I can see that working really well. Spreads everyone out. I'm sure that's much easier said than done, but interesting idea.

yokels likes this.
  28. heatwaves

heatwaves Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2009 California

Did you pay for a flight with your credit card? Since the Bruery's customer service is always on-point, I bet you could bring them your receipt with your name on it and as long as it matched your membership, I bet they'd stamp it for you. It's worth a shot if you're trying to get all of your stamps.

29. heatwaves

heatwaves Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2009 California

Bruery events are usually so seamless now, that I was pretty surprised how unprepared The Bruery was to handle SMM last night. I'm sure they'll make adjustments, but I waited in line for 30 min and it only moved about ten feet. The food truck was even out already and it was only like 6:45. I ended up just leaving and going to Bottle Logic. Judging from the amount of people who attended, I think their best option is to hold SMM at both Bruery and Terreaux to break up the amount of people at both spots. It wasn't a big deal for me since I live 10 minutes away, but would really suck for people who made a long trek.

30. Saxmusik45

Saxmusik45 Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2011 California

Guys, really weird question, but how did this month's allocations at SMM taste?

Sumdeus, taylordane, Daniel_T and 3 others like this.
  31. JoshBeerNow

JoshBeerNow Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2014 California

I just don't see them splitting locations. I think it's safe to say they moved it to Terreux because they want people to start going to that location since its always slow. If you split the location 90% of them are still going to go to the OG spot because then they can just pick up bottles while they are there.

I can't stress this enough, the first one of the year is always screwed. What I don't know is how this is going to play out long term now that you can bring a friend and they have the stamps. They might be generating quite a bit more business than they anticipated, which is a great problem to have, but without extending hours, which I think is an obvious option, I'm not sure what else they can do.

My guess is they will extend hours to start at noon for the next one, and if that one is just as bad, they may need to adjust the bring a friend option (which I'm sure will upset some people too)

Jafix and Zalamero like this.
  32. pdmoore714

pdmoore714 Aspirant (220) Dec 26, 2013 California
    Trader

+1

I may have missed only one SMM over the years and January is always insanely packed. Wasn't it last year they spread the first SMM over Sunday and Monday?

I'd love for them to open the room earlier than 4:00 but think this problem largely solves itself in a couple of months.

33. ScottWoerner

ScottWoerner Initiate (61) Jan 5, 2017 California
    Trader

2017 White Chocolate was very good, much better than years before.

34. Mantis

Mantis Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2015 California

I had a great time at this event. Boysenberry was great. Pommereux was a really good cider. I will always love WC, but somehow they really brought out the caramel notes in it this year. MW had a great roastyness to the coffee, I'm very satisfied. M3 is still keeping my wallet empty.

I didn't mind the 4PM opening (I'm not sure who complained about the noon opening first :rolling_eyes:), I got my flight and was out of there. Friendly people and great service as always.

ernh likes this.
  35. mukesmemehouse

mukesmemehouse Initiate (36) Jan 5, 2016 California

Where does frucht boysenberry rank amongst the fruchts in terms of fruit flavor?

BeerBaron666 likes this.
  36. DMaCATO

DMaCATO Initiate (158) Dec 19, 2013 Indiana
    Trader

Frucht it... just buy some!

Sumdeus, SammyJaxxxx, Mantis and 2 others like this.
  37. PG2G

PG2G Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2011 California

When I had it on tap in October I thought it was second only to Berazzled

Mantis likes this.
  38. goofyballer

goofyballer Initiate (35) Dec 21, 2016 California

I don't know much about cider - how does it compare to other Bruery sours like, say, Confession (maybe a similar profile since that's a sour w/ riesling grapes?)? Trying to figure out if I'd enjoy Pommereux or not.

39. Mantis

Mantis Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2015 California

I think it would be in the range of a "Sour Cider" in that same vein as Confession would be a "Sour Riesling". I found it closer to a cider than a sour to my palate. I enjoy some craft ciders every now and then and I found it to be very light yellow in color, medium carb with a complex, but not dry apple cider flavor. To me, it was as deceiving as White Oak on the nose, it smelled like a sour blonde, but tasted quite different. I'll try to go back on Friday and put a review in. It was good.

KevSal and goofyballer like this.
  40. FinnishFox

FinnishFox Initiate (0) Sep 28, 2016 California

Pretty sure someone somewhere would still not be pleased.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.