Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Bruery Hoarder Blending Session

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Madirish76, Nov 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madirish76

Madirish76 Apr 14, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Anyone get in? Wondering if they announced yet?

If you got in Congrats!

2. CAbeerCAbeerCA

CAbeerCAbeerCA Mar 3, 2011 Maryland
    Beer Trader

The silence tells me notifications not out yet, I hope!

3. Lane1

Lane1 Jan 10, 2011 California

Still nothing for me, I'm just gonna assume I didn't get it.

4. MikeT77

MikeT77 Jul 2, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Check Spam folders maybe?

5. Korker

Korker Dec 13, 2010 California

They said e-mail's are being sent out later today.

6. KevSal

KevSal Oct 17, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

this sounds awesome, any details on what the event is, for us poor non-hoarder peons?

JonathanC likes this.
  7. moonknight31

moonknight31 Aug 23, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Congratulations!

Your name was pulled in our random drawing for our first ever Hoarders Society Blending Session!

This exciting (and free!) event will take place at our Barrel Warehouse on November 17th. Due to space and logistics, we are only offering you 1 ticket to this event. If you are unable to attend the event, please email us ASAP so that we can draw another name to attend in your place.
    Below are some details on the event. Don't forget to bring some additional fruits or spices if you want to play around with those flavor infusions.
    Can't wait to see you there!
    Cheers,
    The Bruery

Upon arrival, members will be split into small teams. Each team will receive an array of barrel-aged and non-barrel-aged beers to blend as they see fit.

We will provide general guidelines regarding what ratio of certain beers may be used in the final blend. A panel of judges will select the best blend, and that will be released to the the 2014 Hoarders Society!
    We will provide the blending beers, palate cleansing snacks, water, note-taking supplies, a few coffee presses (in case you'd like to cold press additional ingredients such as coffee, fruit or spices), and some tasty snacks for afterwards. We will not be providing any of the extra ingredients for the press infusions, so if you're feeling adventurous, you're welcome to put your creativity to the test and bring your own ingredients to the event. Please keep in mind that the ingredients you supply must be available for us to order in large quantities if chose for the winning blend.
    Date: Sunday, November 17th
    Time: 2pm - 5pm
    Cost: Free!

Tickets are not transferable and may not be shared.

8. blguillen

blguillen Apr 19, 2011 California

9. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo May 18, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I just got my invite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Rocket80

Rocket80 Nov 18, 2011 California

This sounds so awesome - hopefully it is a success so they do it again next year.

11. beerman4

beerman4 Mar 22, 2009 California

I got in as well! I can't wait for this weekend. Saturday I'll be going to Barrel release party. Then on Sunday I will be blending beer with The Bruery, what a great weekend it's going to be!

12. Buck86

Buck86 Aug 8, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Cool. I wonder if this will count as Pilot beer #1 that they added instead of Bruery merch, and if so, I am going to need someone to blend Black Tuesday w/ Cherry OT and Windowsill.

MayorsAssistant, KROQnK9s and Lane1 like this.
  13. Lane1

I'm in!!!!! Wooooo

14. Lane1

It will be the First Pilot series beer.

15. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo May 18, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Members who don't get an invite, should post their blending ingredient ideas / formulas here so that those of us that will be there can try some of them.

Lane1, Buck86 and Madirish76 like this.
  16. Lane1

Or those of us like me that will have no clue what the fuck they are doing

huadog and Whatsarezaf like this.
  17. CAbeerCAbeerCA

Beer Trader

Not in, but I hope everyone has a great time. I also know who to blame if the pilot beer sucks.

18. Lane1

Blame me for sure

CAbeerCAbeerCA likes this.
  19. CAbeerCAbeerCA

Beer Trader

Something sour, if possible, would be nice, since next year the line up is not nearly as stocked as this year. : )

20. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Sep 24, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Guys guys guys. Did we already forget about our plan to create the worst beer possible? I'll bring the Asparagus and Durian.

...Or just add some White Oak to anything that is otherwise good.

21. CAbeerCAbeerCA

Beer Trader

Shit, I forgot. Go nuts ya'll!

22. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Dec 1, 2011 California

The hate of Durian actually varies from person to person. For example, I would love some Durian BT because to me it has something of a creme brule flavor.

23. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Sep 24, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I'd be looking to utilize the aromatics.

Srsly likes this.
  24. ejyoung

ejyoung Feb 24, 2005 Arizona
    Beer Trader

I should be there as well. Need to figure out what kind of ingredients to bring.

25. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Dec 1, 2011 California

And? That varies from person to person as well, I tend to smell honey and vanilla from Durian, that said, I do understand what you are trying to say about it.

26. abecall98

abecall98 Aug 11, 2007 California
    Beer Trader

You guys better make some good blends ya hear?!

27. grrrah

grrrah Sep 21, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

ISO: tart asparagus creme brûlée!

28. Buck86

Beer Trader

You forgot smoked

sirtomtom likes this.
  29. tbadiuk

tbadiuk Feb 9, 2009 Manitoba (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Smoked Salmon Black Tuesday?

30. airfoil

airfoil Jun 14, 2007 California
    Beer Trader

I am in also. Going to be awesome.

31. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Jan 2, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

No invite for me, swigs a black tuesday*

32. ejyoung

ejyoung Feb 24, 2005 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Nice - I'll look for you there!

33. WagonCircler

WagonCircler May 15, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

Sounds like you guys are going to have the best time ever!

34. the_trystero

the_trystero Mar 19, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Oh shit, I already did BT and Cherry OT last night, I should have had a bottle of Windowsill open, too.

Buck86 likes this.
  35. Buck86

Beer Trader

Next time... for science. How was the OT+C/BT? It is on my list of things to try; I am really liking Melange 1 again.

After hearing a recommendation for BT + Hottenroth on here a while back I tried that this weekend while sharing a bottle with friends. It turned out pretty solid. The low abv of the berlinnerwiesse really helped lighten the BT.

RedBeeron likes this.
  36. the_trystero

the_trystero Mar 19, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Does anyone know the ratios for Melange 1? At the BT release party I didn't care for the Melange 1 mixed in with the BT variants, but I had a bottle last week by itself and dig the current one.

I was just doing splashes of OT+C with the BT last night and loving it. Next time I'm definitely adding in some Windowsill.

37. Buck86

Beer Trader

You can run the numbers based on the %abv. Rounding the numbers if BT was 20%abv, and OT was 10% and you know M1 is 15% then it would make the ratio 50:50. I think previously it was closer to 2/3OT:1/3 BT and this batch is closer to 60%OT and 40%BT. Don't have any old bottles around so don't hold me to those numbers, just the method of figuring it out.

38. cquiroga

cquiroga Oct 14, 2004 California

I spoke with one of the guys from The Bruery about this earlier today, and it sounds like it's going to be a really cool experience. I'll be there, and I'm really looking forward to it. Really cool for them to embrace the interactive side of things with infusions and a fan-created DIY-blending sort of thing.

I'm guessing there will be a decent list to include many of their blending staples/standards like Black Tuesday, White Oak Sap, Bois/Anniversary... Maybe some sour stuff like Oude Tart, Sour in the Rye... Hopefully some interesting one-offs or limited barrels of different expressions of some of the above. It didn't sound like they had completely locked down a list, but it sounded like they're looking to have a good variety, and that they'll be announcing a list of some of the specific things we can expect to see later this week-- with at least a little bit of time to get our creative juices flowing and plan out some infusions/concoctions in advance of the actual event.

Anyone got any preliminary thoughts of interesting adjuncts/infusions you'd like to try? Or some kind of dream combination of beers you're considering putting together?

I'll probably bring some Guatemalan Acatenango Gesha coffee, and maybe work an infusion with some kind of dried tropical fruit (dried mango slices?) to go along with the tropical fruitiness (and general awesomeness) of the coffee... I'm thinking equal parts BT and Bois... Maybe a kiss of Oude Tart or SitR (or White Oak Sap, depending on how "tart" it is) to brighten things up a tad... Also kinda hoping they have something lower ABV but malty to bring it down a bit in sweetness and intensity (cue Bruery strong/sweet jokes here)...

I don't know. We'll see... And this is obviously all subject to change based on whatever beers they actually offer, and what those specific kegs/barrels/vintages taste like.

I'll probably also bring some unsweetened, shaved coconut and also some toasted coconut, just because that shit is awesome to use for infusions. Really curious to see how crazy things get with the beers we'll be able to play with and the combinations people come up with. Should be really interesting.

39. Srsly

Srsly Mar 21, 2010 California

I will be very disappointed if nobody makes Taco Tuesday. Whether that's through french pressed al pastor and roasted tomatillos or just an infusion of taco seasonings i'll leave up to those attending...

FrogOut69, nanobrew, KROQnK9s and 3 others like this.
  40. beerific

beerific Nov 8, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

I expect nothing but the best from those of you going. My wife votes durian, but she doesn't even drink beer so her opinion doesn't count.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe