Bruery Hoarder Blending Session

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Madirish76, Nov 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CAbeerCAbeerCA

CAbeerCAbeerCA Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2011 Maryland

Shit, I forgot. Go nuts ya'll!

2. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2011 California

The hate of Durian actually varies from person to person. For example, I would love some Durian BT because to me it has something of a creme brule flavor.

3. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

I'd be looking to utilize the aromatics.

Srsly likes this.
  4. ejyoung

ejyoung Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2005 Arizona

I should be there as well. Need to figure out what kind of ingredients to bring.

5. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2011 California

And? That varies from person to person as well, I tend to smell honey and vanilla from Durian, that said, I do understand what you are trying to say about it.

6. abecall98

abecall98 Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2007 California
    Trader

You guys better make some good blends ya hear?!

7. grrrah

grrrah Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2009 California

ISO: tart asparagus creme brûlée!

8. Buck86

Buck86 Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2011 Washington

You forgot smoked

sirtomtom likes this.
  9. tbadiuk

tbadiuk Pundit (790) Feb 9, 2009 Canada (MB)
    Trader

Smoked Salmon Black Tuesday?

10. airfoil

airfoil Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2007 California

I am in also. Going to be awesome.

11. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2010 California

No invite for me, swigs a black tuesday*

12. ejyoung

ejyoung Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2005 Arizona

Nice - I'll look for you there!

13. WagonCircler

WagonCircler Zealot (599) May 15, 2011 New York

Sounds like you guys are going to have the best time ever!

14. the_trystero

the_trystero Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2013 California

Oh shit, I already did BT and Cherry OT last night, I should have had a bottle of Windowsill open, too.

Buck86 likes this.
  15. Buck86

Next time... for science. How was the OT+C/BT? It is on my list of things to try; I am really liking Melange 1 again.

After hearing a recommendation for BT + Hottenroth on here a while back I tried that this weekend while sharing a bottle with friends. It turned out pretty solid. The low abv of the berlinnerwiesse really helped lighten the BT.

RedBeeron likes this.
  16. the_trystero

the_trystero Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2013 California

Does anyone know the ratios for Melange 1? At the BT release party I didn't care for the Melange 1 mixed in with the BT variants, but I had a bottle last week by itself and dig the current one.

I was just doing splashes of OT+C with the BT last night and loving it. Next time I'm definitely adding in some Windowsill.

17. Buck86

You can run the numbers based on the %abv. Rounding the numbers if BT was 20%abv, and OT was 10% and you know M1 is 15% then it would make the ratio 50:50. I think previously it was closer to 2/3OT:1/3 BT and this batch is closer to 60%OT and 40%BT. Don't have any old bottles around so don't hold me to those numbers, just the method of figuring it out.

18. cquiroga

cquiroga Zealot (653) Oct 14, 2004 California

I spoke with one of the guys from The Bruery about this earlier today, and it sounds like it's going to be a really cool experience. I'll be there, and I'm really looking forward to it. Really cool for them to embrace the interactive side of things with infusions and a fan-created DIY-blending sort of thing.

I'm guessing there will be a decent list to include many of their blending staples/standards like Black Tuesday, White Oak Sap, Bois/Anniversary... Maybe some sour stuff like Oude Tart, Sour in the Rye... Hopefully some interesting one-offs or limited barrels of different expressions of some of the above. It didn't sound like they had completely locked down a list, but it sounded like they're looking to have a good variety, and that they'll be announcing a list of some of the specific things we can expect to see later this week-- with at least a little bit of time to get our creative juices flowing and plan out some infusions/concoctions in advance of the actual event.

Anyone got any preliminary thoughts of interesting adjuncts/infusions you'd like to try? Or some kind of dream combination of beers you're considering putting together?

I'll probably bring some Guatemalan Acatenango Gesha coffee, and maybe work an infusion with some kind of dried tropical fruit (dried mango slices?) to go along with the tropical fruitiness (and general awesomeness) of the coffee... I'm thinking equal parts BT and Bois... Maybe a kiss of Oude Tart or SitR (or White Oak Sap, depending on how "tart" it is) to brighten things up a tad... Also kinda hoping they have something lower ABV but malty to bring it down a bit in sweetness and intensity (cue Bruery strong/sweet jokes here)...

I don't know. We'll see... And this is obviously all subject to change based on whatever beers they actually offer, and what those specific kegs/barrels/vintages taste like.

I'll probably also bring some unsweetened, shaved coconut and also some toasted coconut, just because that shit is awesome to use for infusions. Really curious to see how crazy things get with the beers we'll be able to play with and the combinations people come up with. Should be really interesting.

19. Srsly

Srsly Crusader (496) Mar 21, 2010 California

I will be very disappointed if nobody makes Taco Tuesday. Whether that's through french pressed al pastor and roasted tomatillos or just an infusion of taco seasonings i'll leave up to those attending...

FrogOut69, nanobrew, KROQnK9s and 3 others like this.
  20. beerific

beerific Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2010 California

I expect nothing but the best from those of you going. My wife votes durian, but she doesn't even drink beer so her opinion doesn't count.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.