Bruery Infection

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by solo103, Nov 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JesseLara

JesseLara Disciple (335) Nov 4, 2012 California
    Trader

I had the Ebony & Oak, infected or not I liked it. White Chocolate was definitely not 2012 WC, still ok, and if the base is White Oak, I can see where the flavor comes from, but I wish I would have known prior to purchasing. Definitely a bummer as I bought 2013WC based on the 2012WC flavor. Live and Learn. Cacaonut I liked way more than I thought I would. Should have bought more bottles. Mrs. Stoutfire was one of my favorites this year, smokey goodness in my opinion. To each his own. Hard to "test" taste if they're bottles that sell out like Chocolate Rain, Black Tuesday, etc...
    Do I think they may have an issue in the barrel house?, possibly. Will it keep me from buying their beer?, not at all.

VictorFromVictorville likes this.
  2. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Meyvn (1,016) Oct 24, 2009 California

I did the same. Gonna crack it open on the 24th. Will let you know how it is.

3. VictorFromVictorville

VictorFromVictorville Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2013 California

Sounds like your bottle shop carries old bottles. Try it fresh before you pass judgement.

4. VictorFromVictorville

VictorFromVictorville Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2013 California

Well said.

5. Quickicks

Quickicks Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2013 North Carolina

Drink that M&G now! So good.

6. Javi_bobby

Javi_bobby Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2013 California

The only beer ive had that was infected is the white chocolate but they changed the description at the bruery and called it a wheat wine. Its pretty good if your already expecting a sour taste. Starts sour with a chocolate and vanilla finish

7. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (821) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Had it fresh many times. Really like it.

Enjoy

8. RangnaR

RangnaR Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 California

I like that if something goes wrong with one of their beers, they can just change the desription of it and... All fixed!

YogiBeer, DrChadly, hardy008 and 4 others like this.
  9. wyatt

wyatt Aspirant (226) Nov 18, 2009 Louisiana
    Trader

WC has always been a wheat wine.

funhog, tronto, mrkrispy and 2 others like this.
  10. EJLinneman

EJLinneman Aspirant (246) Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey
    Trader

It's always been a wheat wine base. This years batch tasted a bit more fruity and a little more wheat wine than 2012.

As far as their other issues, I bought two bottles of Ebony & Oak, which were refunded and I never had an issue with Mrs Stoutfire.

11. Bradthoc

Bradthoc Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2011 Nevada

Time for Patrick to expand operations and keep the souring of their beers at a single location - away from non infected brews?

12. Javi_bobby

Javi_bobby Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2013 California

last years had a more sweet taste. ive never had any infected mrs stoutfire either, not a big fan of the ebony & oak

13. EJLinneman

EJLinneman Aspirant (246) Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey
    Trader

Yeah, last years tasted less like a wheat wine and more like sweet goodness.

14. LIQUORBARREL

LIQUORBARREL Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2009 Minnesota

Had the latest WC and it wasn't tart..it was BARNYARD infected. I had this beer 6 times previous and under no circumstances would the description of "Tart" replace this drain pour. Glad I bought 6.

15. thetastywort

thetastywort Initiate (130) Jun 2, 2011 California
    Trader

Cacaonut would only be "off" because it is blended with 4 Golden Rings (I think BA version), so it would lend some of those flavors to it. It's not only the '13 White Oak Sap. I was not a HUGE fan of Cacaonut since the description implied chocolate and coconut, but you can't say it's "off".....compared to what? It's never been made before.

16. digdug1810

digdug1810 Aspirant (244) Mar 1, 2011 New Jersey

i hope the Bois i have isn't infected

17. thatinvisibo

thatinvisibo Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2005 California

It isn't. The only infected beer that The Bruery has released this year is Ebony and Oak.

18. solo103

solo103 Disciple (330) Apr 8, 2012 Florida
    Trader

Maybe that they admitted but the mrs stoutfire I had was def infected

19. thatinvisibo

thatinvisibo Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2005 California

You're the only person I've seen in 8 months to say it was infected... So I'm going to say you're probably wrong. I'm not sure if your bottle had been handled incredibly improperly, or if your expectations had simply been colored due to your experience with The Ebony and Oak infection or the tartness of WC13, or what. MAYBE something got in your one bottle? But by the numbers, saying it's infected definitely goes against enormous odds.

StubFaceJoe, Retsinis, Rau71 and 3 others like this.
  20. ThatFatBeerGuy

ThatFatBeerGuy Initiate (0) Oct 11, 2013 California

Am I the only one that expects everything I buy from The Bruery to be sour? It's like buying something from Stone; I KNOW a Stone beer is going to be hoppy the same way I know one from The Bruery will be tart. It's just a fact I accept.

azorie likes this.
  21. matedog

matedog Initiate (66) Jan 25, 2010 California
    Trader

Did you have anything before it that could have affected your taste? Specifically a sour? A very tart sour will fuck up your palate for an hour if you try to have anything after it.

JesseLara likes this.
  22. Dupage25

Dupage25 Aspirant (226) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

You know, based on a combination of my own personal experience and a good deal that has been written about the Bruery, it really amazes me they do well enough to keep expanding.

*Bottles exclusively sold in the most inconvenient and least cost-efficient format in existence (single 750ml bottles)

*Said bottles are almost uniformly more expensive than their competitors (and oftentimes by huge margins)

*Many of their most sought-after beers require an expensive upfront membership fee just to allow potential access to the beer and for all practical purposes require you to live within driving distance of the brewery

*Though this appeals to some people, several of their highly-acclaimed beers also have a reputation for being sweet sugar bombs (anniversary series, Melange series, Black Tuesday, Chocolate Rain, the wheatwine base for White Oak, etc)

*Purely my experience, but I haven't liked anything they make except their sour wheat, which is too expensive for what it is (and this makes me extremely wary of trying their more expensive offerings)

And to add to this, now we have rumored infection issues in 2013 (I say rumored because they have only confirmed one). It seems every month I find another reason to write this company off as a really good marketing schtick, yet they still seem to grow. They are the very personification of everything BA's commonly claim to hate---can you taste the rare, show me your walez bro, why serve 15% beers only in 750ml bottles, I hate bombers and 750ml-only releases, diabeetus---yet they're a profitable enterprise. I don't understand it.

23. seeswo

seeswo Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2010 Ohio

Someone extra'ed you a beer with known infection issues? hmmm...

24. RangnaR

^ -- Not to mention they didn't even spell Brewery right!

YogiBeer likes this.
  25. seeswo

seeswo Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2010 Ohio

I am a Hoarder's member and I was with you on the bottle sizes UNTIL a buddy told me I could use a wine stopper on them and put it in the fridge and they are great for a night or two. Works fabulously (one of those ones that sucks air out). Now, I can open a CR or BT on Thursday or Friday night and finish it through the weekend.

26. solo103

Trader

No man I didn't have anything before that would have affected my taste. I know these questions are valid especially since not everyone's palate is not the same but let me preference it by saying I have been brewing beer for 6 years ,close to getting my bjcp and 2nd level cicerone. Beer is a big part of my life and something I study and immerse my self into since opening a brewery is my life long goal. While there is a lot I still have to learn I do think I have a pretty decent palate and understanding of the many various styles. The only reason I state this is so people will understand Im not just making a off the wall assumption with out any knowledge on the subject. (wich a lot of people do so the questions are understandable)

27. solo103

Trader

That's how "The Bruery "spells their name dude.

28. azorie

azorie Champion (892) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

Sometimes just being rare wins in certain parts of the USA, LA, NYC, etc.

29. solo103

Trader

My taste were not colored due to the infected ebony and oak man and beer just doesn't get infected due to the way you handle the bottle (i.e. it shaking around in shipment or it getting warm during shipment). If this was the case people would not trade beer as much as they do. It is possible that the batch wasn't infected and that maybe it was limited to only a couple bottles ( that may have not been completely sanitized or maybe something made its way into the bottle before being filled) wich is highly likely since it seems that the majority of people say they haven't had a problem. This is why I posted the thread to get some other peoples feed back. But to tell I'm wrong about the bottle I had being infected when you yourself didn't drink it doesn't make to much since. Also I shared the bottle of Mrs. stoutfire with a buddy who had it at Beachwood on his vacation who also agreed that it was infected and not at all what he had at the Brew Pub.

FarmerTed likes this.
  30. solo103

Trader

A regular trading partner I have did . He mailed it out the day after it was released and when he realized it was infected he mailed me something else in return. There are some really good BA's out there that will make it right if there was a problem.

seeswo likes this.
  31. TheLostGringo

TheLostGringo Aspirant (207) Dec 7, 2011 Connecticut

Hardly think this is limited to just "parts" of the USA.

azorie likes this.
  32. azorie

azorie Champion (892) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

well you are right, folks with more cash than me. rare does not equal great to me.

33. RangnaR

It was a joke... I was going to put (jk) next to my comment, then thought that it unnecessary...

dvnb, ericj551, YogiBeer and 2 others like this.
  34. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

Way off topic and total noob question - when you say 'extra' - from context I've gathered that means a bonus beer included in a trade deal made with an exceptionally nice person... correct?

Edit: sorry to be off topic but didn't think this warranted a new thread. And yes I have searched.

35. CaptainFleeker

CaptainFleeker Defender (671) Aug 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

This. Big time. It's up there with traders that send 8 week old IPA's or send beers that are notoriulsy bad in terms of quality as extras. I make note of these folks and don't do trades with them again. I'd rather get no extras than get your shit beer. Plus it's a surefire way to turn someone off from what otherwise could be a solid brewery.

heatwaves and EyePeeAyBryan like this.
  36. ThatFatBeerGuy

ThatFatBeerGuy Initiate (0) Oct 11, 2013 California

Given that they've chosen to charge $300 for their just to get access to damn near half of their lineup in a given year, it seems their target market is people with more money than brains, the same as companies like BMW and Audi. It's a hell of a market to tap if you can carve out a niche and they apparently have since they're still around.

As for me, I'm with you. A quick jaunt down the 57 from the Bruery puts you between Anaheim Stadium and Honda Center, in striking distance of a few quality (and far more reasonably priced) beer spots.

37. lilredrocket

lilredrocket Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2012 Pennsylvania

What is the test??

38. Preluderl

Preluderl Zealot (504) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Yeah, extras just refer to beers in addition to what was agreed upon that the trader includes as a bonus.

39. BAstoutsNsours

BAstoutsNsours Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2012 Florida

The test you do for infections...

40. Miruguy

Miruguy Initiate (173) Nov 22, 2010 California

I assume that this is a joke, since I have to believe that nobody is this ignorant.

Bradthoc, Rau71, Tdizzle and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.