Bruery Infection

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by solo103, Nov 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solo103

solo103 Disciple (330) Apr 8, 2012 Florida
    Trader

yeah man. Extras are usually thrown in with trades as a little suprise bonus.

2. the_trystero

the_trystero Disciple (355) Mar 19, 2013 California
    Trader

You mean most cost-efficient format.

And are you talking about Hottenroth? Hottenroth is a great value compared to many US Berliners.

luwak and CaptainFleeker like this.
  3. the_trystero

Trader

Lots of people have had Mrs Stoutfire this year and this is the first report I've seen of infection.

luwak, nanobrew, Retsinis and 2 others like this.
  4. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (4,708) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Spoken like a homo sapien who has never driven an Audi...

(Plus, with what I paid for my well-used Audi, I could have bought three more & had enough money leftover to join the Reserve Society...or bought one brand new F-150...)

ZamaMan likes this.
  5. thewrongtone

thewrongtone Initiate (132) Oct 15, 2006 Arkansas

I
    I know. It's amazing how popular IPAs are even though they turn into poisonous donkey urine after a month.

I once accidentally drank a two month old Heady Topper. Luckily, I live close to a hospital. They were able to pump my stomach before I began digesting that swill.

The freshness Nazis never cease to amaze. Thanks for the chuckle.

luwak, Diotima, wallpaperbag and 6 others like this.
  6. CaptainFleeker

CaptainFleeker Defender (671) Aug 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

What makes it worse is when the brewery puts the canned on date on the bottom of the can and the trader still sends it out 8 weeks later!!!

7. eyeenjoybeer

eyeenjoybeer Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2011 Seychelles

So you disagree with the tastes of others. Fine. And they are Nazis. Cute.

8. Cheeto314

Cheeto314 Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2012 Colorado

I too would be pretty pissed if BT was infected...have 28 breaking my porch tomorrow.

9. the_trystero

Trader

I've had 3 of my bottles so far, it's rock solid awesomeness.

Cheeto314 likes this.
  10. riemster

riemster Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2011 Ohio

Well said. I like you a lot. This might be my favorite post of all time on BeerAdvocate. Seriously.

I'll add that I treat most Bruery bottles like an infection. I try to distance myself as far away as I can from any of their overpriced and overrated bottles. I've enjoyed a few Bruery bottles, but they have NEVER justified the cost.

hardy008 likes this.
  11. the_trystero

Trader

Y'all should start a Bruery haters thread. Oh, wait, this thread has already turned into one. Whatever.

12. SkeeterBoganski

SkeeterBoganski Devotee (452) Feb 25, 2012 Colorado

This thread proves that you can't spell advocate without the (h)ate.

luwak likes this.
  13. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,753) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

I just read an article about the city of Placentia being infected. That probably explains things.

14. thewrongtone

thewrongtone Initiate (132) Oct 15, 2006 Arkansas

I find your post puzzling.

Your sarcasm and condescending tone lead me to believe this is not your first foray into Internet forums, but your inability to cope with hyperbole and dogma suggest otherwise.

On topic: Brett pedio lacto diacetyl walezbro!

ParkerAE, luwak and eyeenjoybeer like this.
  15. eyeenjoybeer

eyeenjoybeer Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2011 Seychelles

Inability to cope? Perhaps, but the Berserker in my hand helps :slight_smile:

To each their own. I don't have anything against folks who like super fresh IPAs/DIPAs. I am one. That said I have nothing against those who are more chill about it. Ultimately,I don't like anyone criticizing anyone else's personal taste. I likely read too deep and took my stand on a soapbox at the bottom of a mud puddle.

luwak and thewrongtone like this.
  16. Uncleserg

Uncleserg Initiate (148) Sep 19, 2009 California

Those are not infected at all. Had them all and I'll add that Mash and M&G are probably some of the best brews that came out this year. Underrated if you ask me.

cduckett16 and JesseLara like this.
  17. solo103

solo103 Disciple (330) Apr 8, 2012 Florida
    Trader

Man that's good to know.

18. Rau71

Rau71 Initiate (107) Dec 12, 2011 California
    Trader

I find it wierd that people still call WC infected. If an infection could live in an 18% ABV beer we would see sour beers to that ABV. The bruery would have that market cornered since most of the bugs die off around 10%. Ebony and Oak is the prime example of why many BA beers are brewed to higher ABV to kill off these bugs, because if you don't you get an infected stout.

JesseLara likes this.
  19. lilredrocket

lilredrocket Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2012 Pennsylvania

Should of been more specific how do you do the test before purchasing?

20. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

i'm pretty sure those beers are so high in ABV that most infections wouldn't be able to take hold.

21. BeerAssassin

BeerAssassin Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 Antarctica

There's plenty of GOOD reasons to hate the Bruery, and sour beers that aren't supposed to be sour is a VERY GOOD reason. With how much they charge for pretty much all their beers, there's no excuse for how poor their quality control is. I will admit to liking Autumn Maple, but I also didn't buy it. I refuse to buy any of their beers until they bring their prices back in line with other good breweries such as Founders, Bells, The Alchemist, Sierra Nevada, New Holland, Great Lakes, Central Waters and many more. Every single brewery listed produces better beer at a cheaper price than the Bruery.

22. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

i don't know if white chocolate *is* infected, but it sure tasted like it was.

23. RangnaR

RangnaR Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 California

Maybe he's one of those people that has the ability to energy test their beers. If so, I think you do this:
    Stand with your feet together. Grab a beer off the shelf and hold it against your abdomen with both hands. Keep your elbows tucked against your sides (Ignoring the snickering and pointing from other patrons) Take a deep breath in and then release it. Notice how your body will lean forward or lean backward. Depending on the reaction to the infected beer, you may need to take a step to catch yourself.

ThickNStout and solo103 like this.
  24. wyatt

wyatt Aspirant (226) Nov 18, 2009 Louisiana
    Trader

While everyone is here, what is the best varient of bois?

Quickicks and fatbeats18 like this.
  25. Quickicks

Quickicks Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2013 North Carolina

Rye in my opinion :grinning:

26. DougOLis

DougOLis Initiate (91) Aug 15, 2008 California

I believe there were 5 Golden Rings

27. thetastywort

thetastywort Initiate (130) Jun 2, 2011 California
    Trader

LOL. thanks!

28. MikeT77

MikeT77 Initiate (159) Jul 2, 2010 New York

I think you don't understand the concept of the RS. The $300 you pay, you get $300+ in beer. You also get access to events, discounts on purchases and access to beers that only RS & HS have access to. So you get $300 in beer/merch for your $300.

I joined RS for 2014; on top of getting $300 worth of bee/merch, I don't have to go through the pain in the @ss it took to get 3 bottles of 2013 BT when it went on public sale on the website. Not only that, for 2014, only RS & HS get Rum Barrel BT - they're only making enough for 2 bottles for each member. No more for anyone else.

My $295 for 2014 RS gets me:
    -- 1 bottle of Bois
    -- 1 bottle of Sans Pagaie
    -- 2 bottles of Chocolate Rain
    -- 1 piece of high quality merchandise
    -- 1 bottle of So Happens Its Tuesday
    -- 2 bottles of Rum Barrel Aged Black Tuesday
    -- 2 bottles Barrel Aged 6 Geese-A-Laying

Yup, I'm really being taken advantage of here. I feel bad for me!

m34josh, albertq17, Acropora and 3 others like this.
  29. ThatFatBeerGuy

ThatFatBeerGuy Initiate (0) Oct 11, 2013 California

That's almost worse. "Hey, we don't think you're gonna spend enough money to DESERVE to buy half of our beer lineup this year, so we're gonna need a $300 down payment to secure the total amount you plan on spending."

We're buying beer, not putting a security deposit on a condo.

30. rundownhouse

rundownhouse Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2005 Tennessee

I count nine bottles of beer for that $295. Go buy a homebrew kit.

31. MikeT77

MikeT77 Initiate (159) Jul 2, 2010 New York

Why do people just assume anyone can pick up a kit and make homebrew? I'm not talking about the technical side of it. Not everyone has time to homebrew. I have a very well paying job but, with commute, my day starts at 7:20am and ends at 7pm. I also have 2 year old twins and an 8 1/2 month old. I'd rather buy my beer and spend the time with my family. That time spent playing with my kids and seeing how happy they are to spend time with Daddy is worth WAY more than the $ I'd save by homebrewing.

32. heatwaves

heatwaves Aspirant (226) Oct 17, 2009 California
    Trader

The city of Placentia is not infected. The streets are simply lined with White Oak Sap trees.

33. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Devotee (400) Mar 23, 2008 California

I've been homebrewing for a few years.
    I wouldn't attempt to make 90% of the beers Reserve Society gets.

I make some decent beers but homebrewing is far from a substitute for what The Bruery puts out.

m34josh, JesseLara and MikeT77 like this.
  34. heatwaves

heatwaves Aspirant (226) Oct 17, 2009 California
    Trader

My curiosity with Mrs. Stoutfire is peaked. I'm going to a buddy's bottleshare on Thursday night, so guess what I'm going to be bringing? I'll report back on my highly scientific findings.

Switching gears back to one of the themes in this thread, I'm always puzzled by the comments relating to cost. If something is too expensive for your comfort level, don't buy it. The argument of "do you know how much homebrew you can make? or do you know how much beer I can buy from (insert your favorite "reasonably" priced brewery here)?" is weak. Everyone makes their own cost/value assessment in their lives and clearly The Bruery has enough customers who think that the cost/value of their beers is fair. There are some breweries that I don't care for that have a big following, but I'm not going to bash them for their success. I'm going to recognize and accept that I'm simply in the minority.

@wyatt -- my favorite Bois is brandy, but they're all pretty great.

35. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (385) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

At least we know people will jump to conclusions and trash a brewery before anything's proven...

I've had 2013 Bois, White Oak, Melange #3, Cacaonut, and White Chocolate. I got zero infection out of any of them. If everything in this line is 'infected' then it's a slight interference and nothing more, and barely noticeable to most people. Even Ebony & Oak was only a mild tartness, and it went well with the beer. Now I haven't had multiple bottles of anything yet so it's possible there's something amiss, but to trash a brewery for "quality control" when it's very possible they're not fully aware of the extent of the problem, that's just shitty. I understand people hate the Bruery because of their high prices, and I have a speech about that I'll keep from citing since it'd make a lot of those people mad, but the benefit of the doubt should always be given. Some of you guys are acting like this was a planned attempt to extort your money and sell you bad beer, which is just absolutely stupid as hell. No one at the Bruery, or hell any brewery, is sitting around planning to put bad beer out just to mess with people. The assumptions are just ridiculous.

Carry on with the hating.

sirtomtom, glaze3, MikeT77 and 6 others like this.
  36. the_trystero

Trader

Me, too. +1. Like. Yeah.

beerhan and heatwaves like this.
  37. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Devotee (459) Mar 26, 2011 California

Their Humulus Lager is definitely not tart, I've had two growlers over the past two weeks and both were excellent. The Black Tuesday is drinking just fine too...

38. Uncleserg

Uncleserg Initiate (148) Sep 19, 2009 California

Rye Whiskey......

39. odiedog52

odiedog52 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2009 California

I would assume he means "off" as in "off flavors" as in flawed.

40. BMMillsy

BMMillsy Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2012 Florida

I assume this is why my White Oak I had a couple months ago tasted like garbage juice? Or is that one always like that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.