Bruery Infection

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by solo103, Nov 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatinvisibo

thatinvisibo Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2005 California

I see it more like...

"Hey, we're holding close to 4,000 barrels of beer at this point, and those things have a high upfront cost but take a long time. If you're interested in the beers that we hope to make this next year, would you want to give us some money now? We'll make sure you get $300 worth of beer throughout the year, and give you 15% off of all of our beers. And you know how people wait in lines at other breweries for their onsite releases? You can order up to 6 online at any point over a month period, and most likely get however many you want more after that."

I understand to an extent people's complaints about price when it comes to their strong beers... But they are damn good, and it's definitely an event when you open them. People's complaints about the prices of their sours confuse me a bit though. I'd honestly like to know where I can get something as good as Bottleworks XII for $17. And even then, a way to get 7 bottles of it with minimal effort.

2. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Zealot (565) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota

I'd like to help you out, but I've got no reference for "garbage juice."

PsilohsaiBiN and JesseLara like this.
  3. parrotsnest

parrotsnest Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2010 Washington

I feel like this is a recurring thing w/ them..

4. mmmbirra

mmmbirra Aspirant (223) Apr 19, 2009 Italy

Anderlecht. :sunglasses:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/388
    6 or 7 euros for all of their 750s.
    Might be an expensive trip though.

luwak likes this.
  5. thetastywort

thetastywort Initiate (130) Jun 2, 2011 California
    Trader

No, I meant "off" as in the slight tangy flavor that people were not expecting from this beer.

michaeljstraub likes this.
  6. Bradthoc

Bradthoc Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2011 Nevada

Second this.

7. luwak

luwak Aspirant (217) Mar 2, 2010 Arizona

They make great beer.
    And their customer service is amazing.

JesseLara likes this.
  8. luwak

This says a lot. Autumn Maple is probably their worst beer. They wont have to bring their prices in line with those above-mentioned breweries because they make better beers than those breweries...

9. BeerAssassin

BeerAssassin Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 Antarctica

I'm sorry but CBS, Heady, Black Note, Hopslam, Dragons Milk, Peruvian Morning, and for wide availability they can't touch Sierra Nevada. Name a beer in the same category that the Bruery does better. Also, when was the last time with the exception of Peruvian morning, that any of these beers was infected?

10. luwak

You don't have to be sorry. ; )

Those are all good beers.
    But I'd take a few cases of Sans Pagaie, Tart of Darkness, Black Tuesday, and the Aniversary beers alone in place of the entire world's supply of the above mentioned beers. Including everything Sierra ever made.

But you are right about the infections when they do exist.. The are playing with fire having all that sour stuff near non soured beers. It was only a matter of tiime. I think brewers are, in general, delusional about this concept. Sour brewhouses should be separated from the rest of production facilities.

But i wasn't responding about that. I was just saying The Bruery makes great beer. Better than many, many breweries.

JesseLara likes this.
  11. BeerAssassin

BeerAssassin Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 Antarctica

I'm not going to say Sierra Nevada makes better beer than them, I agree with you they don't, but when your friends want to go to Buffalo Wild Wings, other chain restaurants or sports games, I'm guessing you can't get Bruery beers, Sierra Nevada and failing that Sam save me from BMC and I love them for that. I will also admit to not having tried every one of their anniversary beers, but you have to admit the pricing on those is insane. Lastly I gotta know, what was wrong with Autumn Maple? It's the best beer I've ever had from them.

luwak likes this.
  12. CAbeerCAbeerCA

CAbeerCAbeerCA Initiate (144) Mar 3, 2011 Maryland

I think you all need to adjust your pallets. I had a WC '13 a couple days ago, and yes, it does a sourness to it; to describe it as rotten or garbage is just overblowing it. I get if you don't like it, but if you take the beer(s) for what they are, they are not nearly as horrifying as some have claimed.

I, and most of you, have had BAD, BAD, TERRIBLE beer and these are not them.

DMaCATO and JesseLara like this.
  13. the_trystero

the_trystero Disciple (355) Mar 19, 2013 California
    Trader

True enough, they still should have changed the description (like they eventually did on the website) and renamed it.

14. CAbeerCAbeerCA

CAbeerCAbeerCA Initiate (144) Mar 3, 2011 Maryland

I don't think a rename is worthy but a note that is is more tart (I will always hold that the 12 WC - I have 4 bottles of it - has a small tart to it) is something that should have been noted with preorders.

luwak likes this.
  15. heatwaves

heatwaves Aspirant (226) Oct 17, 2009 California
    Trader

The bottleshare that I attended had a theme of "beers with an interesting story". I told the group that I wouldn't reveal the story until after everyone tasted Mrs. Stoutfire and I heard everyone comment. A few people had "issues" with Mrs. Stoutfire, but they were all related to what some people perceived as too high a level of smokiness. No one detected any sour notes, green apple, or traces of infection. When I told them the story of this thread, all of them agreed that this bottle was completely fine -- albeit not to some people's tastes.

Coincidentally, I tasted bottled WC '13 for the first time at The Bruery's BA party two days later. Wow! I totally understand why people thought this was infected. I would have guessed that it was a well. It didn't taste like '12's at all -- tart, apple juicy, and not nearly the level of sweetness. At that party, they also had White Oak Sap on tap, so I was curious to try the "source" material. Then I noticed that curiously the WOS was from 2012, not 2013.

m34josh and luwak like this.
  16. imperialbeerdude

imperialbeerdude Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2012 Colorado

dude I don't mind trying a couple of them just to check if they're sour, I'd do that for a fellow beeradvocater

17. Corbet

Corbet Initiate (172) Nov 7, 2010 Michigan

I've heard stories of Cacaonut being infected as well - what the hell is going on over at the Bruery? I can't believe there isn't more of an uproar within the community - people are spending $20+ for a bottle of beer that are becoming infected, you'd think there would be more outrage.

18. stealth

stealth Zealot (551) Dec 16, 2011 Minnesota

Maybe because most people don't rely on hearsay and stories before forming an angry mob. Did you know that this years BCBS has fallen off compared to last year's batch (which coincidentally was worse than 2011's) and Cantillon is closing up shop? I also heard Pliny is 'average, at best'. Stories, stories, stories.

The Bruery has always been a stand-up organization. They announced issues with E&O and if they had issues otherwise I think most of us trust that they would say something as well.

19. kojevergas

kojevergas Poo-Bah (9,589) Aug 15, 2010 Louisiana
    Society Trader

I was extremely disappointed with White Chocolate (in fact I currently have the 4th-lowest review), but I never felt like it was infected.

I absolutely think they're overpriced - relatively easily the most overpriced brewery. I mean hey, Mikkeller's prices are reasonable by Danish standards; it's the Shelton Bastards that cause the problem. But The Bruery does have some select brews that are excellent.

Arrogant and obnoxious? Sure. But I haven't had an issue with their quality control. I always felt like the brewers intended their underwhelming brews to taste the way they did.

BullBearHawk likes this.
  20. mufc704

mufc704 Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 North Carolina

Tart of Darkness, Oude Tart, Sour in the Rye and Beauregarde were all great in my opinion. I have 2 bottles of ToD in my cellar along with SitR. And I would happily pay the 24$ for it again. I didn't think Autumn Maple was killer, but if that's the worst they have to offer I'm happy to try their other stuff. Also any company that comes out and gives a refund for something that didn't live up to expectations is commendable.

21. elchicodelgado

elchicodelgado Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2008 Texas

Agreed on WC 2013. It was terrible but it wasn't infected. I traded for it knowing the reputation and it sucked but that was just a matter of taste.

kojevergas likes this.
  22. DrewLikesBeer

DrewLikesBeer Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2013 Florida

how is this thread still limpin' along...

23. SirElton

SirElton Initiate (180) Feb 24, 2011 California

There's so much hate, hate, hate on this thread. As a long time Bruery drinker, I will be the first to say that there are plenty of hits and misses in the Bruery's lineup. But the fact is I don't know how many other breweries out there experiment as much as these guys. Generally when I visit the tap room, there are 30 or so beers to taste. I don't love all of them, and it's funny, but no one forces me to buy the ones I don't like. I appreciate the variety. Sometimes I do pay $15-$20 for a bottle that only ends up being ok, but then sometimes your trust and dollars get Grey Monday, Bourbon-Aged 4 Calling Birds or Acer Quercus. With my society discount, I get a 750 of Loakal Red, Mischief or Batch 1000 for $8, which compares pretty well value-wise to a lot of stuff out there for some peculiarly delicious beers.

If you don't like your Bruery beers, or feel like there is a problem with quality, there are lots of other great breweries out there. Get over it and leave us to enjoy our beers.

RDMII, JesseLara, albertq17 and 2 others like this.
  24. Corbet

I know many people personally who have said both Cacaonut and White Chocolate are terrible sour/infected/tart messes, clearly not as they are intended. The Bruery is welcome to say that flavor profile is intended, but I would expect that a brewery charging $30 a bottle for their beers would ensure their fans are happy.

25. stealth

I know many people personally who have said both Cacaonut and White Chocolate are incredibly delicious, tasty brews, and they appreciated the slight tartness that they imbued. We are happy to pay $30 for these bottled treats.

Like any business selling a service or product, guess The Bruery can't please everyone.

JesseLara likes this.
  26. Corbet

Welp, I guess I was right all along! Cocoanut confirmed infection by the Bruery themselves, issuing refunds to people who bought bottles, along with a confirmation that White Chocolate was indeed infected. Good on them for acknowledging the issues.

http://bruery.blogspot.com/2013/12/beer-issues-cacaonut-barrel-aged-autumn-maple-praecocia.html

Kelp and alexk307 like this.
  27. stealth

Right on. As I said they've always been a stand-up organization. No need to get out the lynch mob when they always handle it properly themselves :slight_smile:

Feel free to send me any infected WC or Cacaonut! I can dispose of it properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.