BT or Melange 3

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by timc100, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timc100

timc100 Disciple (375) Aug 13, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I've got 2012 vintages of both and want to crack one of them open on a cool summers evening, which of the two is better fresh?

2. stupac2

stupac2 Zealot (518) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Depends on how much you like/tolerate heat. BT is pretty hot, M3 not nearly as much.

3. timc100

Beer Trader

I like big boozy beers, but not if the heat is making them more one-dimensional aka I don't want to waste a bottle

4. stupac2

Beer Trader

That's significantly less likely to happen with M3.

paulys55 likes this.
  5. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,113) Mar 18, 2010 California

Open the Melange 3.

6. IKR

IKR Zealot (550) May 25, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Just had a 2012 M3 this past Saturday and a 2012 BT a couple of months ago. I'd go for the M3. The heat in the BT wasn't unbearable, especially in light it's 19.2%, there's just less in the M3 right now.

7. timc100

Beer Trader

Great, thanks all. Sometimes you just can't wait. When's BT's prime in your experience? I do not like to cellar what I haven't had, but could only trade for one.

8. mattsander

mattsander Zealot (547) Feb 3, 2010 Alberta (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Melange 3 is magic, BT is very good but overrated.

Rutager likes this.
  9. stupac2

Beer Trader

I just had it last night and it's really, really hot. I usually say not to age things if you hadn't had them, but if you don't like heat in your beer (which I don't know if you do, maybe you do) then you'll want to wait a while. No idea when it'll start chilling out, the fact that it's a different ABV each year makes it hard to say.

10. timc100

Beer Trader

I agree, if I had access to more than one I would drink one in a heartbeat. Because it's a hassle to get, I don't want to have it and think 'it could be much better'. I am a bourbon drinker so I like something boozy, but not if it's holding it back. Ex. central waters barleywine is super delicious, but I can tell it needs to smooth out

11. stupac2

Beer Trader

In that case I'd sit on it for a while. Previous years have held up quite well over time, no need to rush it.

The good news is that Melange 3 drinks superbly right out the gate, it's my #2 beer by them (after Chocolate Rain).

12. mdfb79

mdfb79 Poo-Bah (4,741) Jan 11, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

If I had to drink one now, I'd go with Melange, but I personally find both benefit with time on them. I think Melange is pretty good fresh, but last time I had it it was with 12-15 months on it and I thought it was fanastic.

Both are strong (and great) beers so I'm sure you'll be happy either way, but if you can hold off until the fall/winter I think they'll both be much better.

timc100 likes this.
  13. Ahappyhiker2

Ahappyhiker2 Initiate (194) Mar 27, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I'd go with the Black Tuesday. I've had both aged and Black Tuesday gets very, very sweet. It's already pretty sweet, but IMO it gets a little unbearable. Melange #3 is good fresh and aged, so I'd let that one sit.

timc100 likes this.
  14. mulder1010

mulder1010 Meyvn (1,019) Aug 29, 2008 Australia

give BT a year. mellows out a lot and not all that sweet.
    3 is excellent off the bat

15. xnicknj

xnicknj Initiate (0) May 25, 2009 Pennsylvania

Agree with this one - I opened a 2011 this past Christmas and it significantly smoothed out. Melange #3 I've had fresh a few times and really enjoyed, although I still have one I'm aging to still how it does.

16. timc100

Beer Trader

Holy shit M3 was fantastic! Had it last night, drinking perfectly. To my tastes, the booziness did not get in the way of anything and balanced out the incredibly sweetness.

Lasering likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.