Bud Light Nutrition Labels

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by CASK1, Jan 11, 2019.

1. CASK1

CASK1 Aspirant (293) Jan 7, 2010 Florida

2. brandnewcardock

brandnewcardock Initiate (50) Aug 23, 2017 New York
    Trader

Cool idea. I really hope something like this catches on, although I'm doubtful. I know the reason, but I've always found it crazy that there's no sort of nutrition facts on alcohol, especially given the direction the industry is going.

I could also see the catching on, at least with the health conscious. The one thing these AAL have going for them is their simplicity. Makes sense to showcase it, especially when who even know what a nutrition label would look like on a milkshake IPA or pastry stout.

ESHBG, Ericness, AirBob and 7 others like this.
  3. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,244) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

As a proponent of transparency, I like this move and hope it catches on as well. Even if these details are just posted on a brewery's website. I would find it very useful as a consumer.

4. 5thOhio

5thOhio Devotee (483) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

Being more cynical about the marketing practices of ABInBev, I'm suspicious that this is a way for them to increase the costs to smaller independent breweries who would be less able to absorb the increase to compete.
    Especially if the government decides that ABInBev is leading the way and makes the labeling mandatory.

islay likes this.
  5. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,683) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

They don't use yeast to make Bud Light? It's not on the ingredient list.

6. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,425) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

7. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,172) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Trader

And what about alcohol?

8. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,363) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

#8 jesskidden, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  9. bbtkd

Premium Trader

Well, what good are contents listings that are missing contents? Shouldn't be optional.

10. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (251) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

Honestly. A side graphic near the government warning is perfect and spoils me, as I see that on pilsner urquell.
    [​IMG]

But a prominent display on the packaging art? Yeah. That's a nice play against mgd ultra. 'Why have 95 calories that you hate when you can have 110 of something decent '

I'd love to see a big BBA stout marked as 800 calories. Craft beer for decades has loves that silent allure of healthy and better.

So beers don't even show the ABV. It's the norm on quick can releases that sell out. So I appreciate at least a bit more info than just ABV.

PatrickCT likes this.
  11. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (134) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

I prefer to incorrectly believe the 16 oz can of an 8% double NEIPA I am drinking has just a few more calories than a bud, so I hope this doesn't become a trend.

12. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,038) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

Exactly. Nutrition information should be available only on a need-to-know basis, and I don't need to know.

13. jesskidden

Anheuser-Busch doesn't consider yeast an ingredient in the finished beer because (like the tannin they use for chill-proofing) it is filtered out of the beer before.
    I suppose that's an industry-wide standard (not sure if the FDA and TTB regulators agree?) - some claim that some of the "bad beer" batches Schlitz produced in the 1970s that helped bring the company down (they had multiple problems) was because they changed several additives they used as "foaming agents" and "chill-proofing" because of proposed ATF ingredient labeling laws at the time (which never went into affect). The new "natural" ones were designed to be removed during the finishing and filtering process but, instead, negatively interacted and caused clumps, aka "Schlitz bitz", after the beer was packaged.

Alcohol is not an "ingredient", as such, since it is created during the brewing process, not added by the brewer. In the case of Bud Light, it is listed elsewhere on the label:
    [​IMG]

#13 jesskidden, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  14. bbtkd

Premium Trader

If they want to emulate the FDA labels, they'll need to move alcohol to the contents list.

15. jesskidden

Not based on the already existing FDA approved labels for beers that do not meet the TTB definition of a "malt beverage" (because they don't use barley malt), like DFH's Tweason Ale and Full Sail's 100% Wheat beer.
    [​IMG]

See Classification of Brewed Products as “Beer” Under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 and as “Malt Beverages” Under the Federal Alcohol Administration Act

The topic of noting the ABV (but not as an ingredient) on the voluntary Serving Facts TTB labels is covered on pages 5-6 under the heading B. Inclusion of Information About Alcohol Content in Serving Facts Statements

DonicBoom, KarlHungus and FonyBones like this.
  16. nicholas2121

nicholas2121 Meyvn (1,399) Sep 29, 2008 Ohio

I find it interesting, that is has taken this long to get these labels. The information about all American Adjunct Lagers, has been posted online for years. I know for a fact over 10 years. It is no big mystery. I
    really don't think it will increase, or decrease sales. However it is nice to see what is in your beer.. but then again we all know why you would grab a BL or a craft brew anyway.
    Just my two cents

17. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (118) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

As a diabetic this is a great step I hope catches on in craft beer where consumers (seem to) tend to be more health conscious. There is no good reason to prevent consumers from making informed decisions about what they put into their bodies other than stoking the self-delusion mentioned earlier in this thread. I know I'd love to have some idea if a beer is ACTUAL 'BEETUS JUICE rather than making a guess based on taste after it's already opened.

18. CASK1

CASK1 Aspirant (293) Jan 7, 2010 Florida

Since the yeast is filtered out before packaging, it is not in the product you consume. Wouldn't be true for most craft brews.

19. rgordon

rgordon Champion (872) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Don't say Beetus Juice three times in a row.

20. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Disciple (336) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey

When I was a kid we rationalized drinking excessively by saying one Bud = 1 pork chop, in other words it is good for you- ( I think it might be true calorie wise)

bluejacket74 and meefmoff like this.
  21. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (551) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

So 12 pork chops is "good for you" in your neck of the woods?

What counts as bad for you?:wink:

22. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,073) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

I would much rather see this nutritional information on the back label than fanciful artwork on the front.

KarlHungus and Jaycase like this.
  23. MJS08

MJS08 Aspirant (281) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Premium

Where does the fat come from in the wheat beer?

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  24. jesskidden

It is printed on the label (break out your strongest reading glasses):
    [​IMG]
    The pork chop, I guess.

Oh, wait - confused two posts. :grin: Yeah, never notice that. Given that short list of ingredients, the first impulse is to answer "the wheat" but other wheat beers don't list any fat - I've never seen any other beers that list anything other than "0%" for fat... Time to write Full Sail, I guess.

DonicBoom, MJS08 and Claude-Irishman like this.
  25. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,073) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

My point was nutritional information is more valuable to me than artwork.

26. mudbug

mudbug Zealot (582) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

If you honestly need a nutritional label on beer you probably shouldn't be drinking beer

27. MJS08

Premium

Of course. The beer was dry chopped. :smirk:

28. beertunes

Trader

Where would a Butchers Dozen of pork chops not be good for one?

29. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Defender (681) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Premium

I just noticed the Reinheitsgebot (German Purity Law) doesn't mention rice. Does this mean the can't sell it in Germany?

30. jesskidden

The AB-InBev Deutschland site show they market both Budweiser and Corona in Germany. (Not a lot of interest in US "light beers" in most of the rest of the world, so it's likely there's no Bud Light there.)

As I understand it, the Reinheitsgebot (well, what's left of it) does not apply to imports, due to a EU decision back in the 1980s (?- I think).

Jaycase, AZBeerDude72 and beertunes like this.
  31. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,244) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Wanting & needing are two different things.

beertunes and nc41 like this.
  32. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,357) Dec 25, 2003 California

If i was really concerned about calories I would be drinking Gin and Diet Tonic water.

But I don't.

So it is Beer and Rum and Coke for me!

33. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,657) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I’m drinking a beer, I don’t care about the nutritional information.

34. bbtkd

Premium Trader

With all the alcohol in the high-ABV beers I enjoy, there is little room left for calories. :wink:

Milktoast75 and Squire like this.
  35. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,509) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

There’s no yeast in water.

TurkeysDrinkBeer, beertunes and bbtkd like this.
  36. beertunes

Trader

Says the average heroin addict.

I'm joking, to a certain point. I do understand the base addiction we share. A friend of mine, part of his day gig is walking up on houses, where, maybe, the occupants don't want a wellness check. Reason dude has a certain vest.

My point is: there is a very fine line between need and want. Most of us here want, and even enjoy, a substance that hurts a lot of folks.

Once anyone starts "needing" a thing, well.....

37. beertunes

Trader

There's yeast everywhere, always.

jesskidden, nc41, bbtkd and 1 other person like this.
  38. bbtkd

Premium Trader

Probably not in distilled water :wink:

39. MJS08

Premium

I wonder if they will put the nutri-labels on BCBS. My guess one of those rhinos will be bumping 600 cals. Dammit, I say. I really don't want to know.

40. bbtkd

Premium Trader

430 calories for 12oz, so 605ish for 16.9oz. Then it varies by ABV of the year/batch. Good guess! Sorry, had to beat @jesskidden who will have a rebuttal.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/23340232

#40 bbtkd, Jan 13, 2019 at 7:34 PM
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 7:39 PM
    MJS08 likes this.