Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

News Budweiser 1933 Prohibition Repeal

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by cid71, Oct 23, 2017.

1. cid71

cid71 Initiate (135) Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey

Gemini6, lester619 and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  2. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Savant (989) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

They just need to make a juicy east coast IPA and their market share will kick up. LOL
    I will try this, curious to taste the original recipe.
    Thanks for sharing.

3. Squire123

Squire123 Poo-Bah (1,543) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

Sure, I'll try it, sounds interesting.

4. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (1,953) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

"Adolphus Busch created the amber lager in pre-Prohibition days for his friends and it was originally only sold in St. Louis where the brewery was founded. The recipe hasn't been brewed by A-B since Prohibition ended."

Created it pre prohibition? I wonder if this isn't the beer they were brewing within the A-B walls for the family during prohibition? Any insight @jesskidden ?

I'd like to see the malt bill -- if it doesn't have rice I'd certainly give it a try (I have some allergy to malted rice that kick's my ass).

#4 steveh, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  5. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Zealot (590) Sep 2, 2007 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I might buy a bottle just to see how close it tastes to a Yuengling, because I can't help but think that's what they were going for here (albeit with higher alcohol content).

I also think it's hilarious that the article refers to Black Crown as a "limited edition." No, guys. It was just a massive flop. A-B never once mentioned it being a limited time deal. It just became one when no one bought it.

6. BeerPugz

BeerPugz Initiate (159) Dec 4, 2016 Wisconsin

Can't be ant worse than Boxer Light.

Rollmeaway2loadout likes this.
  7. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,280) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Reads like a lot of PR BS... Adolphus Busch died twenty years before Repeal in 1933, and it wasn't until December, 1933 when full Prohibition was repealed by the passage of the 21st Amendment. From April, 1933 until then, all beer had to be 3.2% ABW (4% ABV) or under

AB certainly brewed numerous other lager beers, some all-malt, before Prohibition, but none went by the flagship name "Budweiser". Beers like Michelob, Anheuser Standard, (Export) Pale Lager, Erlanger, Burgundy, Liebotshaner, Exquisite, Faust, AB Dark, Black & Tan, etc. Now, one of those beers might be the recipe they found but, if so, why not say it?

Oh, and in turn of the previous century ads, AB claimed that "no beer leaves the vaults that is less than 4 months old" with bottled beers lagered for 5 - 6 months (the latter in the case of Budweiser). Wonder if that's the case with this product :grin:.

Also, a 6% lager in the US in the 1930s would have been very unusual, but I guess they do say they "tweaked" it to boost the alcohol content.

[​IMG]
    No hint as to adjunct usage, if any, on the label - seems that it would break with tradition to be all-malt or not use rice, but seeing as there are no Busch's left at AB, who cares about tradition there anymore?

#7 jesskidden, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  8. Ranbot

Ranbot Devotee (458) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

My first thought was it sounded similar to Sam Adam's Boston Lager, but it could be competing with Yuengling too.

9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,017) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

FWIW the description of "lightly hopped" on the label seems to be more consistent with Yuengling Lager as opposed to Sam Adams Boston Lager which is listed as having 30 IBUs.

Cheers!

Ozzylizard likes this.
  10. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,176) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Supporter Beer Trader

I thought Coors Batch 19 was very good so I will give this a try if I see it.

Rollmeaway2loadout and DoIa like this.
  11. Ranbot

Ranbot Devotee (458) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Yeah it's possible they are aiming at Yuengling. But Boston Lager still is relatively light on the bitterness flavor, and the ABV is closer to Boston Lager than Yuengling.

It's also possible AB is just doing their own thing and not targeting a specific competitor's product.

LuskusDelph and JackHorzempa like this.
  12. teal

teal Initiate (73) May 3, 2012 Wisconsin

As someone else put it - "Let's take MillerCoors's Batch 19 and put it in a Banquet bottle" - see if that works.

Seriously tho - this is something like the 9th beer to be brewed with the Budweiser name. Like or hate AB - that's a serious thing to do for a company with their longevity. I don't see them simply giving up on it quickly.

Jeff Alworth's blurb on it is interesting. Good artwork anyway.

13. PorterPro125

PorterPro125 Champion (870) Jan 19, 2013 New Brunswick (Canada)
    Subscriber

I'd be interested in trying it for sure, but I have a feeling it won't be available in Canada or at the very least, New Brunswick.

14. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (157) Dec 25, 2015 New York

That looks really good. Always wondered what their beer tasted like before ww2..

15. jesskidden

Subscriber

Hundreds of US beers came in a one of several varieties of the "stubby" bottle, including Budweiser in the 1960s -1970s (theirs was a proprietary design, complete with A & Eagle embossed logo).
    [​IMG]
    Of course, using a Stubby for a beer labeled "1933" is another anachronism, since the Stubby wasn't created until 1935, as a "no deposit - no return" compact bottle to compete with the beer can.

16. Boomer4ES

Boomer4ES Disciple (355) Jan 31, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

This is a one-time release, and it was only offered in two package configurations. We were only allowed to order it once in a limited order window, and we are being asked to sell all of it in the month of November. Certainly they could bring it back if it does well, but I don't feel like the goal here was necessarily to add another product line.

Gemini6, LuskusDelph and drtth like this.
  17. steveh

Hint is about all the label does do.

"We know of no amber lager brewed by any other brewer that is so flavorfully brewed and aged."
    Right. Guess the A-B brewers have never been to Bamberg.

18. Squire123

Well, admitting to ignorance is a step toward learning.

19. ypsifly

ypsifly Meyvn (1,013) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

No thank you.

I was exposed to plenty of revisionist history in college and I don't need any in liquid form.

20. steveh

Was that an admission? :wink:

Squire123 likes this.
  21. Squire123

Never admit, never explain and never open your door to a process server.

readyski, dcotom, LeRose and 4 others like this.
  22. pro100

pro100 Initiate (133) Oct 12, 2014 California

Gotta try one just for the hell of it. I remember they tried to get into the Sam Adams market with that American Ale years ago.

23. LuskusDelph

LuskusDelph Aspirant (279) May 1, 2008 New Jersey

I would definitely try it.
    And FWIW, the American Ale was a damned fine product (especially on draft). I was sorry to see it go....

24. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (622) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I drank a couple of these last night and they were actually quite tasty. I don't know shit about the history behind it, nor do I care, but the beer was good

25. stingray40

stingray40 Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2009 Michigan

Just bought it and trying now. Tastes kind of like Busch Copper Lager to me.

Markham likes this.
  26. Rollmeaway2loadout

Rollmeaway2loadout Aspirant (273) Jan 30, 2016 Illinois

Boxer Light and Boxer are real swill.

Markham and BeerPugz like this.
  27. Corrado42

Corrado42 Initiate (158) Jan 2, 2016 Arizona

Tried a single of this a couple of nights ago, not bad at all! I'm not usually a huge Budweiser fan, but at $12.99 I might end up getting a 12-pack sometime this week.

28. Squire123

Not seeing it around here yet.

VABA likes this.
  29. Brolo75

Brolo75 Poo-Bah (1,678) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I work for an AB distributor and this has been sitting in our warehouse for about two weeks. I don't know what's taking so long to get it out. Also, before InBev bought us out, we would usually get a six-pack or at least a few bottles to hand out for samples of our new product. I remember getting a twelve-pack of a variety pack of some kind of brewers competition years ago.

cjgiant and VABA like this.
  30. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (157) Dec 25, 2015 New York

I was told (by store owner) NY will have it sometime this week.

31. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Savant (989) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

[​IMG]
    Enjoyed this one the other day, very well done and will get a bunch more. Bud needs to keep this around.

32. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (725) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I will try this beer. But, two weeks every month I can buy any Sierra Nevada 12-pack at Harris-Teeter for $12.99 and $13.99. This marketing strategy has captured a good bit of my business for a few years now.

ben4unc likes this.
  33. dgmirelli

dgmirelli Disciple (348) Mar 21, 2015 New York

i love those bottles, throw back to our parents and grandparents time...

34. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,017) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

I will await somebody posting a side-by-side tasting of Bud '33 and Yuengling Lager.

Cheers!

35. Squire123

Just put that project on my list.

36. Crusader

Crusader Initiate (198) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

I'm wondering how different the process of recipe formulation was this time around compared with the one described by Mitch Steele on his blog. His description made it sound like all the brewers had to go by were the names of the beers and not much else.

37. jesskidden

Subscriber

Yeah, I was wondering, too, if anyone's seen Mitch make any comments about this beer, given the long record of AB saying they don't have original recipes for many pre-Pro and early post-Repeal beers and his blog's detailed descriptions of creating those American Original beers in 1990s.
    http://hoptripper.com/tag/american-originals/

"The story told about the American Originals beers was that AB found old recipes from Adolphus Busch in their archives, and used his handwritten recipes to recreate some of the more flavorful beers that existed before prohibition. But what we brewers actually saw during the development of these beers was just a small notebook of Adolphus Busch’s in which he scribbled down malt and hops for some of these early beers. The notes were very vague, giving pounds of German hops, or American hops, and weights of malts which had very little descriptors. They weren’t recipes by any means..."

This just sounds fishy (as @steveh pointed out above).
    So, if the beer was "sold only" in St. Louis, what was the brand name of the beer?

And if it hasn't been brewed since Prohibition "ended", does that imply that it WAS brewed during Prohibition?

Brolo75 likes this.
  38. steveh

Somebody call the revenuers! :wink:

I took the A-B tour in St. Louis back in the mid-80s. There was a lot of allusion to the Buschs having plenty of their product for themselves (and probably the right "friends"). The non-alcoholic "cereal beverage" they brewed probably disguised any brewing of real beer.

39. Crusader

Crusader Initiate (198) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

Yeah. The whole thing seems convoluted as hell, and meant to make the marketing people happy by throwing as many marketable aspects as possible into the mix: pre-pro, repeal, the ghost of Adolphus Busch, retro bottle, old recipe, Budweiser; whether or not it all makes sense.

oldbean likes this.
  40. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (725) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I knew an old gentleman from Cleveland that was beer and wine wholesaler for decades. He said there was a noticeable uptick in "sacramental wine" sales during prohibition.....

Squire123 likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.