News Budweiser Re-Labels As Climate-Friendly Beer

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by jmdrpi, May 17, 2018.

1. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (5,081) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

An article from the Sierra Club about InBev's efforts on renewable energy:
    https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/budweiser-re-labels-climate-friendly-beer
    The Budweiser brand labels will carry a designation:
    The article then contains some quotes on opinions behind the perceived motivation, impact, and potential social or political implications.

2. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,998) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

If I want green beer I'll wait until March 17th, and it won't be BMC

TrojanRB, Lahey, Daveshek28 and 5 others like this.
  3. 5thOhio

5thOhio Devotee (481) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

Well, occasionally you have to do something for publicity besides re-designing the bottles and cans.

eppCOS and horsehockey like this.
  4. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,540) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Yeah, sort of like sending truck loads of free cans of fresh water to storm victims in New Orleans and Houston or to folks with a lead contaminated water supply in Flint.

#4 drtth, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
  5. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (318) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Can you really say 100% renewable even though it won't be until 2025?

6. horsehockey

horsehockey Initiate (195) Jul 31, 2014 Illinois

What is 100% renewable energy? All energy sources require raw materials. Solar requires panels that are expensive to make, and eventually wear out. Wind turbines require maintenance to keep them working. I'd be more impressed if they were honest. "Brewed with the most efficient energy sources" would be more impressive to me.

7. DISKORD

DISKORD Initiate (194) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

Sick and tired of these AB/InBev threads! Who gives a crap? Stop giving them all the attention!

8. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (149) Aug 2, 2017 New Jersey

When they do something noble like this it requires praise, and it's not like we are saying they make the best beer. Just chill out bro.

9. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (235) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

Anderson valley and la Cumbre both have solar power related logos on their packaging. I don't see a big press release about that. They just do it. Sadly inbev needs quite a press release to make their actions feel worthy. It takes away from the act IMHO.

jasonmason likes this.
  10. rgordon

rgordon Champion (837) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Yeah, I agree. Someone's paying attention to what lots of folks really care about. But still, these big companies are pretty slippery in many practices.

Bitterbill likes this.
  11. chrisjws

chrisjws Crusader (782) Dec 3, 2014 California
    Trader

Can they make a beer that's friendly for the climate of my mouth?

Lahey, AZBeerDude72, pjbear05 and 2 others like this.
  12. zstef99

zstef99 Initiate (57) Dec 25, 2008 New York

I assume it would be cheaper for them not to do this. And while it may have some PR benefits, it is still the right thing to do. Good for them.

LuskusDelph, Lahey, CNoj012 and 2 others like this.
  13. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (149) Aug 2, 2017 New Jersey

14. tzieser

tzieser Savant (955) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

I had it once. It wasn't quite as bad as it sounds but I wouldn't drink it again. Probably because it was about as salty as Joel Embiid and/or Sixers fans' tears after the Celtics stole their lunch (sorry, I had to!:grin:)

*prepares for the "but we kicked your ass in the Super Bowl!" response*

LuskusDelph and Lahey like this.
  15. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,317) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

Can't be a bad thing for them to do. Even the smallest of breweries can do something to reduce their impact, from reducing water waste to sticking a couple solar panels on the roof, every little bit helps.

16. jmdrpi

The article didn't clarify this. But perhaps the Bud production is (or a % that is equivilant), and the rest of the brands will follow. They only mentioned about those particular labels.

I don't know if those kind of claims are regulated at all.

17. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (253) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

This is good news. Props to Inbev. Corporations, cities and states are gonna have to step up and be responsible stewards of our one and only planet because the current federal government is run by science deniers who whored themselves out to oil companies long ago.

I still won't buy their beer, though.

18. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (235) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

New Belgium's been buying 100% of their electricity from wind power for 19 years. But we're talking a mega brewery vs one that was much smaller back then. That's quite an accomplishment for Budweiser facilities.

Water waste is my big issue. Almost all Manufacturing sectors have massive water waste. Electricity is the easy first step. But a great first step I guess.

EvenMoreJesus and LuskusDelph like this.
  19. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,296) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

LOL that was pretty good. :beers:

tzieser likes this.
  20. Tamarack

Tamarack Initiate (49) Sep 22, 2016 Massachusetts

I'd dismissively wave off your claims, but my hand is too heavy from all these rings :wink:

tzieser likes this.
  21. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (313) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Screw philly and boston. I'm a Detroit Lion fan, it doesn't get much worse than that. Then I have to listen to fans of winning cities argue which is better. Feel bad for me, dammit!

IceAce, Esch30, IPAExpert69 and 2 others like this.
  22. jmdrpi

Yes, I agree on both comments. If you care about environmental issues, it can't be a bad thing to have some of the best selling beer brands promoting the cause. And as a quote in the article points out, it could normalize the cause to those that may not be previously inclined to support greener energy.

zid, EvenMoreJesus, zstef99 and 3 others like this.
  23. stevepat

stevepat Disciple (324) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

It's neat that they are on the green train but the question has to be 'are they actually doing this?'. Also why are they putting the wording on the label now they don't even pretend their going be actually doing it for another 7 years. I hope it does normalize renewable energy in more people's minds but it always grosses me out to see giant, environmentally destructive businesses greenwash their products. Like the giant CAFOs with little screen porches as their 'pasture' that claim the organic seal.

Troutbeerbum likes this.
  24. jmdrpi

They are making up the symbol themselves so yes, it's not like a third party certification.

But it appears they focused on Budweiser already meeting the requirement to start the process. It's the other InBev brands that will be in the future. From another article I found from January:

DonicBoom and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  25. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,133) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Premium Trader

I highly doubt that InBev gives two shits about the environment. This is a marketing ploy disguised as corporate responsibility.

26. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Poo-Bah (1,714) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska
    Premium Trader

Can someone rename the title of this thread to "Irrelevant debate about city team sports"?

And I say that as someone who enjoys and follows professional sports.

Lahey, tzieser, jbakajust1 and 5 others like this.
  27. craigbelly

craigbelly Defender (661) Dec 31, 2015 Iowa

They must have given the art department a day off so instead of designing a new logo they spew their pop propaganda this way.

IPAExpert69 likes this.
  28. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,246) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Premium

Please keep on topic, this is BEER Advocate. I don't want to have to shut this thread down and already had to delete half the first page of responses.

tzieser likes this.
  29. jmdrpi

So there are a few more details on Budweiser's webpage. It's polluted with some marketing language, but does provide some more infomation:
    http://renewablefuture-homolog.adttemp.com.br/#about-the-movement

30. jmdrpi

So I did find more info in their FAQ on this:

"Our projects’ electricity generation will be controlled by on-line metering using the latest technologies. Not only will this information feed our energy teams’ controls, but it will also be validated by grid regulators such as Ercot in Texas, US.

We will report our progress on an annual basis to RE100*.

*source: for more information please visit there100.org"

But if you do care about the environment, does it matter? The end result is still that they are doing it.

They do join a long list, with some companies goals more aggressive than others:

http://there100.org/companies