Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Buff Brew Gingerbread Stout

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by rainerschuhsler, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler May 17, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

2. PhatAtUT

PhatAtUT Jul 31, 2009 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

their head guy rassul stated feb 1 on facebook today, but didnt say where. i assume specs midtown and D&Q.

rainerschuhsler likes this.
  3. wsnich

wsnich Apr 26, 2010 Texas

Bleh...I was trying to take a break from buying beer, but I'll have to buy some of this.

4. Azzy

Azzy Jul 16, 2012 Texas

Out of all their beers this and their Chai Porter hits my sweet stuff. I hear alot of bad things about Rassul, but as long as they're still in business ill enjoy these 2 beers.

UHCougar12 likes this.
  5. Clonies720

Clonies720 Oct 24, 2012 Texas

Like what? I have been following Buffalo Bayou since the beginning and talked with Rassul many times.

6. jaymesbawned

jaymesbawned Feb 1, 2011 Texas

I want Smoke on the Bayou to be bottled.

TxUltraRunner likes this.
  7. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Feb 21, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

8. DonD

DonD Jun 23, 2008 Texas
    Beer Trader

It already was.

9. rainerschuhsler

Beer Trader

10. rainerschuhsler

Beer Trader

I really hope they make Chai Porter again. That's been my favorite of the secessionist series.

11. Azzy

Azzy Jul 16, 2012 Texas

I just hear he has made bad decisions when it come to a brewing company. Their business structure, the way they choose to release beer and their distribution methods. I also hear that he is a really cocky person and never fails to mention that he graduated from Harvard.
    I have tried most of their beers but only really have enjoyed their porters. The brewer I'm friends with night just not personally like Rassul but he thinks it'll be one of the breweries closing within a few years.

pawpaw likes this.
  12. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Oct 15, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

ewww Chai Porter. Couldn't handle that one. Tasted like I was drinking a spice cabinet. I honestly was pretty interested in Buff Brew when they came out, but I am tired of their spiced beer/kitchen sink approach and other than Gingerbread Stout none of it has been that good.

FUNKPhD likes this.
  13. Clonies720

Oh really? That's disappointing to hear. He always seemed pretty humble when I talked with him. We even discussed a rewards program for loyal customers. I guess to each their own. In my own opinion, I think Buffalo Bayou is churning out the best beer in the city, with Karbach a close second. I want to see them grow and move to bottling the majority of their beers instead of draft only. Like you said, maybe your friend may just really not like him.

And CanadianGhetto, I happen to love Chai Porter, and don't even get me started on Gingerbread Stout. Are you familiar with Chai tea? Same premise. Lots of spices. I developed a taste for it at my last job when the managers would drink some as an energy boost. If you don't like Chai tea, you will probably not like it in a beer either. Buffalo bayou is the only game in town that is consistently aging their beers on a variety of woods and I believe they are learning quickly (Saint Arnold and Karbach seems to be catching on to this). All that being said, smoke on the bayou and that other super malty beer they made last year were downright offensive. Edit: Did not care for that hibiscus beer or Wit da Eff at all either.

14. canadianghetto

Beer Trader

I like Chai Tea. Just not in beer form. Tried the Rogness Chai Amber that was also pretty bad.

15. wolffman17

wolffman17 Jul 14, 2005 Texas

They posted this pic on FB earlier, but no mention of release date:

[​IMG]

16. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Feb 21, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

This is sarcasm right? The only thing I've had that's even tolerable is the gingerbread. That 1837 stuff is terrible. I went to the brewery for a tour and they force it down you when you walk in.

pawpaw likes this.
  17. Clonies720

It's not.

18. Clonies720

february 1st.

19. Clonies720

Have you tried the Rogness Gigantophis? Loved that double IPA. It tasted fairly unique to me as eventually some IPA's and double IPA's start tasting the same.

20. rainerschuhsler

Beer Trader

In the comments for that photo they said Feb 1.

21. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Apr 11, 2012 Texas

Are we all forgetting More Cowbell? This is a beer I can get behind.

That said, they are very hit and miss. They like to be experimental.

First Keg of BA Gingerbread Stout I had was awesome. Second was awful. It had no barrel taste and had a weird mint taste that I couldn't shake.

Regular GB Stout is good.

I also really enjoyed the Pistachio Cream Ale they did.

Smoke on the Bayou wasn't good. I had it on tap with the Rockwell Smoked Malts and didn't like it. Sadly I have a bomber of it at home and fear it's not really going to live up to it's rarity.

22. 4kbrianb

4kbrianb Jan 2, 2013 California

all I can say after reading this is someone get me a bottle of Chai and this Gingerbread stout please! So Cal trading partner here, ready and waiting! :D

23. DanzBorin

Buffalo hasn't bottled the Chai Porter (or anything really, only 20 cases of the Smoke on the Bayou) and apparently the GB Stout soon.

Also, the Chai Porter was a collaboration with City Acre Brewing and I'm not sure if we'll see it again.

24. 4kbrianb

4kbrianb Jan 2, 2013 California

Oh, thanks for the heads up. Well in that case... bummer! Here's to hoping they bottle some of those options!

25. DanzBorin

Gingerbread should be soon.

I'll probably try for a few bottles, but they will be very hard to get.

26. canadianghetto

Beer Trader

Haven't tried that one yet. Didn't see any bottles of that when I was in Austin over the holidays.

I agree that More Cowbell is pretty good, but I remember when they started out they said they weren't going to make any IPAs so then the existence of that beer just means they were lying before. All that said I will try most of their beers once, but only GBS had me interested to drink again.

Clonies720 likes this.
  27. DanzBorin

I actually enjoyed a lot of the wood aged 1836 variants. Not something I'd seek again, but much more enjoyable than the base 1836.

28. jaymesbawned

jaymesbawned Feb 1, 2011 Texas

sorry everyone, I forgot to put again in my post. I was nowhere close to getting a bottle the first time around.

29. DanzBorin

I had to get one from a friend. It was a tough get.

Sadly I tried it on tap after that...

30. rainerschuhsler

Beer Trader

I completely agree. 1836 on it's own is pretty forgettable but aged on cedar it was totally transformed and really enjoyable. And then there's Double Buffalo aka Double 1836 which I liked and think is comparable to Stone Arrogant Bastard.

31. DanzBorin

I saw that at Cottonwood, but heard it was very meh from a trusted source so I skipped it. They had Gordon (err G'night) so I'm not too torn up about it.

32. canadianghetto

Beer Trader

I would be interested to try those but have never had the chance. I remember Rockwell having Whiskey barrel 1836 a couple times but it always sold out quick.

33. DanzBorin

I'd try that, but doubt the base beer stands up to whiskey barrels very well. lol

34. Azzy

Azzy Jul 16, 2012 Texas

And the whole experimental thing is what I have some problem with. It's good to do, but have your flagships set. Good ones. Also the way that they only bottle like. 180 bottles to sell and then say its only limited and marketed to trade makes em sound douchey

35. DanzBorin

From my talks with them, 1836 is their only flagship beer. Everything else is an experiment.

Not saying this is right or wrong, but it appears to be consistent.

They brew a few seasonals and a bunch of side projects to go along with a Copper/ESB.

36. Clonies720

I guess I can see them going under in a few years if they don't expand output or create a solid lineup of year-round beers. I'll admit I don't want to see them go as I believe they have potential. :(

Anyone gotten to try their whiskey-barrel aged Gingerbread?

37. wsnich

wsnich Apr 26, 2010 Texas

Like most spiced BA stouts, I prefer the non-BA version. I really do think their GBS can put them on the map, as I prefer theirs MUCH more than Hardywoods.

Clonies720 likes this.
  38. rainerschuhsler

Beer Trader

Agreed. The BA Gingerbread Stout was a huge miss, while I really love the regular version.

39. DanzBorin

As I commented above, if you had it at the Draft (Houston Beer Week), then it was great. It was probably my favorite beer of the day. Buuuttttt, the next time I had it, the barrel didn't come through and it just tasted off. I was highly disappointed.

40. uhcougar

uhcougar Mar 27, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

I tried Double Buffalo about 5 minutes after it was delivered and tapped at Ashford Pub. I have to say that I really liked it. $5 for a 20 oz pint helps as well. That bar has great deals.

Howard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe