Bulk Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by teal, Nov 19, 2019.

1. teal

teal Initiate (92) May 3, 2012 Wisconsin

2. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (906) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

When I visited the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin the most interesting part of the tour to me was a small section about the history of various Guinness-owned shipping technologies dedicated to beer going back nearly to the start of the company, including custom sailboats, tanker ships, rail cars, delivery trucks, etc. It's pretty clear that a major reason Guinness was successful for over 200 years was their constant willingness to adopt the latest transportation [and other] technologies.

KentT, unlikelyspiderperson and teal like this.
  3. teal

teal Initiate (92) May 3, 2012 Wisconsin

I'm looking forward to the 2nd part being published. Seems to deal more with modern package sized transport.

Many (most?) does NOT go refrigerated and can/does spend days in a trailer in a yard etc. I used to work for a carrier that did provide such logistics for beer and wine companies.

4. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,935) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Starting around 1979, Anheuser-Busch imported Würzburger Hofbräu in bulk and bottled it at their Newark, NJ brewery (just a few miles from the docks). This was a few years after Miller took over the importation of Löwenbräu and then got a license to brew it in the US (with some notable recipe changes).

The illustration in the ads at the time did take some artist license, but you get the idea.
    [​IMG]

But, as noted in the OP, Guinness and Pilsner Urquell have been doing it for decades.
    [​IMG]

In the US in the 90s, Anheuser-Busch complained that all Coors' beer wasn't brewed with "Rocky Mountain Water" because they shipped high gravity beer to Virginia and added local (Appalachian Mountain?) water to the beer. Coors counter-claimed that AB also made use of High Gravity brewing. "Yeah," AB replied, "but we do it in at the same brewery the beer was brewed at!" :rolling_eyes:

A few years back, F X Matt's canning line building had a fire and IIRC they shipped some beer in bulk to Genesee for canning.

#4 jesskidden, Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  5. officerbill

officerbill Devotee (451) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Be sure to post a link when part 2 is published

Ranbot likes this.