Bulk Hop Purchase

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by JimSmetana, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimSmetana

JimSmetana Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Illinois

So I want to buy some hops to keep in the freezer to save some $$.
    I like Pale Ales, IPA's etc. (who doesn't)

What 3 aroma hops and what 2 bittering hops would you want to keep on hand if possible.
    Amarillo is out because I can't seem to find it.

2. jmich24

jmich24 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2010 Michigan

My freezer is full of:
    Aroma: Amarillo, Simcoe, Citra, CTZ, Centennial, Cascade, Galaxy, Nelson, Mosaic
    Bittering: Magnum and Warrior.

afrokaze and koopa like this.
  3. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2011 California
    Deactivated

Dual: East Kent Golding (Great multipurpose hop) and Warrior (Light citrus) or Apollo (Dank as f*ck in larger amounts, tropical fruits in lower dosage)

Aroma: Citra or Mosaic, Simcoe, Zythos (or Cascade or Centennial in place of Zythos)

NZ Rakau is a good Amarillo alternative.

4. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Grand Pooh-Bah (3,326) May 21, 2010 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society

Personally, I would keep magnum or warrior for clean bittering. You need a lot more of the flavor/aroma hops than you do of these, especially for IPAs.

I would keep cascade, citra, and willamette, and something that starts with a "c." :rolling_eyes:

5. Andrewelaban

Andrewelaban Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2012 Ohio

I bulk up on citra the most. Also try and keep some random stuff just in case! Got a few pounds of serebrianka also some halertau, pacific jade. Honestly everytime I go to stock up i just grab stuff for fun. Nothing wrong with hoarding!!

6. AlCaponeJunior

Pooh-Bah Society

I just brewed my "house" blonde ale using all serebrianka hops. They were cheep and I love to try new stuff, especially hops! Haven't bottled yet, but I expect it will be tasty!

I tend to buy bulk hops via a mixture of price, availability, and what I like. Right now I have two freezers that are splitting my hoard. :rolling_eyes:

azorie likes this.
  7. JimSmetana

Serebrianka....Polish hops??

8. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Pooh-Bah (2,528) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

I have Mosaic, Simcoe, and CTZ that I bought. Tons of Chinook and Cascade from growing.

9. geezerpk

geezerpk Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2010 South Carolina

I tend to buy larger amounts of the more inexpensive hops like Columbus and Willamette, and Cascade. On my last order I got a pound of Nugget to replace my dwindling supply of Columbus for bittering. I may give it try in a future recipe for both bittering and flavor. I understand others are treating Nugget as multi-purpose.

10. koopa

koopa Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2008 New Jersey

JimSmetana likes this.
  11. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2009 Virginia

Of the relatively few beers I've brewed, specifically (d)IPAs, I've grown to like nugget at any/all positions in a recipe. I give all credit to nugget nectar for making me believe this was a superhop.

12. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Bittering: what ever is cheapest >13% AA
    Aroma: Simcoe, Citra, Galaxy, Amarillo, Mosaic

hard to go wrong with CTZ and Centennial for either

13. JimSmetana

14. MasterCraft

MasterCraft Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2012 Massachusetts

Hey OP, here's a link to Amarillo pellets by the pound: http://www.mainbrew.com/Amarillo-pellet-hops-1-lb-Prodview.html

I just ordered 6 lbs of hops from them, super quick delivery.

To answer your question, hops I like to keep on hand for IPA/IIPA are:

Citra
    Simcoe
    Chinook
    Amarillo
    Galaxy or Mosaic (whichever is around)

15. Mag00n

Mag00n Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2008 New York

riwaka, ahtanum and centennial, of course

16. inchrisin

inchrisin Pooh-Bah (2,013) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah

17. billandsuz

billandsuz Pooh-Bah (2,023) Sep 1, 2004 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

i always like to have plenty of noble hops available. Tettnang and Hallertau Mittelgirl in particular.
    these are usually pretty low AA, so alot are needed for a big beer with some bitterness. what the hell am i going to do with one pound of 12% Chinook anyway?

brew a hop bomb with Tettnang. they don't call them noble for nothing.
    i love noble hops. someday soon Americas craft brewers obsession with harsh fruity varieties will fade and it will become fashionable to load up on noble hops.

AlCaponeJunior likes this.
  18. billandsuz

billandsuz Pooh-Bah (2,023) Sep 1, 2004 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

Poland produces more hops than UK these days. Lublin is a nice psuedo-noble variety that goes in and out of fashion.

19. AlCaponeJunior

Pooh-Bah Society

I got the serebrianka from here. The blonde ale brewed with them is bottled (as of today). It had a fair amount of hops (1 oz at 15, 2 oz at 5, 0.5 oz bittering charge), so I should get a reasonable idea of how they taste when it's ready in a couple weeks.

p.s. I don't care if my blonde ale is to style, I brewed it like I like it :grinning:

azorie likes this.
  20. AlCaponeJunior

Pooh-Bah Society

You see, now I have to try this hop. I like noble hops. And I like trying new hops. See what you've done! :grimacing:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.