Bullfrog Brewery Oud 15 Release

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Avalon68, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Avalon68

Avalon68 Jul 1, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I have submitted to the event calendar as well. In my opinion it is one of the best beers Terry ever brewed.

Bullfrog Brewery is releasing it's 15th anniversary beer on Friday, January 4th.
    Friday January 4th
    11:00 AM
    Approximately 350 750ml cork and caged bottles
    limit of 3 per customer
    $20.00 per bottle
    Description from the brewery:
    Oud 15
    A Flemish style sour ale initially brewed as a Belgian style quadruple ale, aged for two years in second generation red wine barrels that previously held Jaspers. Blended then steeped with Montmorency sour cherries and bottle conditioned with Belgian candi sugar. Oud 15 represents the culmination of 15 years of brewing, and is worthy of the commemoration.

danamal85 likes this.
  2. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Jun 19, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Damn Fridays... :(

3. Avalon68

Beer Trader

Agreed. Fridays are tough for me as well.

4. DaGrizz

DaGrizz Feb 22, 2012 New Jersey

Is this Terry's last beer from his Bullfrog Days?

5. Avalon68

Beer Trader

Terry brewed and barreled the base beer(quad) while still at BF. The blending and addition of fruit was done by the current brewer Nate.

6. DaGrizz

DaGrizz Feb 22, 2012 New Jersey

Nice. Sounds like a treat. I'll have to see if the drive from Jersey is a good one.

7. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels Nov 22, 2009 Maryland

8. yinzer

yinzer Nov 24, 2006 Pennsylvania

Well I might head up. Can I bring up beer to drink while I wait in line?

9. Beerisheaven

Beerisheaven Dec 5, 2007 Pennsylvania

It's been too long since a shitstorm bottle release at Bullfrog. Let's have one more just for old time's sake! Can someone who is a Bullfrog fan chime in here, I thought this was released a LONG time ago and that 15th Anniversary bottles were previously available. Not sure what I am thinking of here, but I thought something was done previously.

10. chase2634

chase2634 Nov 10, 2009 Pennsylvania

Anyone know anything about this? Is it still on?

11. stakem

stakem Feb 20, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

why wouldnt it be?
    they have been advertising it daily on facebook

12. chase2634

Well the post above mine is what prompted the question and not all of us are Facebookers!

13. stakem

Beer Trader

Yeah, I dont understand the meaning of beerisheaven's post. I dont recall this Oud 15 being mentioned or released before. And dont know which beer he might be referring to. The last bottle releases i can recall are the jaspers and diablo redux.

It is awesome to hear that Terry's vision of this brew is seemingly coming full circle. A year or so ago I recall him mentioning this quad that never got finished before his departure. There was mention of a quad base, jasper's barrels and cherries. I can only assume this is the same brew.

14. chase2634

Thanks for the info. The last release i recall was Jaspers as well. Hope to get there by 11am but have a long drive and hopefully people aren't camping out for it.

15. Avalon68

Beer Trader

Oud 15 has not been released previously. As to how the release will go...I'm hoping well. I like the guys up there a lot. The fact that at least 100 people should be able to get the full allotment makes it a bit different than the Frambozen fiasco.

16. Beerisheaven

Sorry guys, maybe I was thinking of them announcing that they would have a 15th anniversary bottle. I just seem to recall something from say a year or so ago and I thought that it simply went off around that time. I remember something definitely being said about a bottle to mark their 15th year. I don't follow Bullfrog anymore and have not gone there for awhile so it was def a long time ago that I remember something being said about their 15th year. Sorry for any confusion and good luck to all who might be going up for the release.

17. Corbet

Corbet Nov 7, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I was thinking about making the trip but Friday puts a damper on my plans.

ISO: One bottle of Oud 15

18. StormKing47

StormKing47 Nov 3, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Just an fyi Terry is still killing it and brewing a bunch of insane beers at his new location, Pizza Boy Brewing! Looking forward to trying this one hope I can make it.

19. stmgl01

stmgl01 Dec 11, 2007 Pennsylvania

Is there anyway to anticipate how busy this thing will be? I don't want to make a 2+ hour drive for nothing.

20. Beerisheaven

Well, if there is no attempt to build hype for trading, I would think it would be pretty tame. But there was 1 thread on RB I think where someone was trying to get Cable Car for it. If stuff like this pops up over the next 2 days and people seem interested, then I think you know the answer.

21. SamuelJackson45

SamuelJackson45 Jul 19, 2010 Pennsylvania

Choo choo baby. Here comes the train. Lol . I'm taking ISO, ISO. Anyone, anyone. Bueller, Bueller..

22. bpgpitt10

bpgpitt10 May 12, 2008 District of Columbia

Have there been lines before the opening in the past? Would love to have my Dad swing by to grab me a single bottle, but there is no way he is going to wait 30-60 minutes in line for it.

23. SamuelJackson45

SamuelJackson45 Jul 19, 2010 Pennsylvania

To make this simple. Now with the day and age of how the craft beer boom is spreading the day you can or could walk up without a line is almost nonexistence. It could be possible if their was no advertising by the establishment. But since they keep posting it on FB and peoples from RB and G+ caught wind of this release now. I would expect a line. How big who knows.

24. chcfan

chcfan Oct 29, 2008 California

Given their location and the fact that it's a weekday release, one would think it may not be too crazy. However, to kind of expand on what as Sam Jackson said, there are just too many people willing to take off work and travel several hours for -rar beers these days. IIRC they used to do weekday releases and the last few were shitstorms. No one can really know how it will go, but don't be surprised if there's a long line and quick sellout.

25. Beerisheaven

The bottle limit of 3 will certainly help. For Frambozen, they only released whatever # of bottles (probably around 250 ) and let people walk out with cases so that the majority of the line got shut out. I remember being in the #twenties that day and at least 4 or 5 people in front of me did not get bottles as well. So, for 350 bottles and 3 per, that's a lot of people getting bottles. Two years ago, I would have expected a lot of people being up there (their prior bottle releases were also during the week, normally was first Fri of the month) but they have fallen off the radar on here to a large extent and it is out of the way for people from Philly, etc. But I am sure that there will be at least some meaningful line outside for the reasons noted.

26. Retail1LO

Retail1LO May 4, 2011 Pennsylvania

Was going to make a trip to Al's and Selin's Grove already, decided to throw this one into the mix as well and just decided to book a room in Williamsport tomorrow evening so I don't have to drag my ass out of bed even earlier to make the haul up there Friday morning. Never been to Bullfrog before, so this provides a pretty good "excuse" to finally make it up that way.

27. bpgpitt10

bpgpitt10 May 12, 2008 District of Columbia

Sounds like I won't have my Dad waste his time. I grew up there so I swing by Bullfrog now and again when I'm in town and am consistently underwhelmed by almost everything I have there. The Farout I tried there was interesting though, so I'm guessing their sours are a bit better overall.

28. Beerisheaven

Some of their beers that got them known were definitely top notch. But I must say that I have always enjoyed the beers of Selinsgrove hands down when compared to them. I actually liked their saisons a bit and am not a huge fan of the style overall so I thought theirs were done well. I would think your dad will have to wait a bit but I would not expect it to be a shitstorm. He'll have to wait but I would think he gets bottles and probably doesn't have to get their really early before they go on sale. Just look at the ISO:FT, not much activity at all.

29. Avalon68

Beer Trader

If he's in the area, I'd have him stop in around 1 or 2. I have a feeling he will be able to walk in and grab a bottle. Keep an eye on this thread Friday morning. If its crazy I'm sure there will be posts about it and you can call him off.

30. stakem

Beer Trader

I would not wait until 1 or 2 if I was going to give advice to someone who doesnt want to wait in line. I would suggest to show up just before they open or just after (once the line is moving.) Bullfrog has posted on facebook that even with the bottle limits they are expecting a sellout within an hour or two.

31. Avalon68

Beer Trader

I picture an initial hit of 30-40 people, then a steady flow over the course of the day. I have definitely been wrong when prognosticating about beer events on occasion though!

32. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels Nov 22, 2009 Maryland

I'll be there. See you jerks then.

33. dtx00

dtx00 Oct 21, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Couple of questions, are they accepting all forms of payment (credit cards)? Is this going to be on tap at all to try?

34. Avalon68

Beer Trader

Credit Cards will be accepted. Oud 15 will not be on tap. The last few releases have had a decent bottle share as well...but not sure about this one.

35. duceswild

duceswild Feb 8, 2010 Maryland
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Is the bottle share allowed inside once stuff goes on sale or is it just outside when everyone is waiting?

36. stakem

Beer Trader

In the past it had only been inside, not outside. The police department is a neighboring building.

37. duceswild

duceswild Feb 8, 2010 Maryland
    Subscriber Beer Trader

good to know ;)

38. Avalon68

Beer Trader

Good call.

39. stakem

Beer Trader

Please dont quote me as to having any say in the matter. It has been too long since my last visit and 2 or so years since a bottle release/share that im aware of. I wouldnt feel comfortable in assuming a bottle share is all systems go without someone from Bullfrog giving it the OK. Many of the places we use to have public sharing at have put a stop to that for one reason or another. I dont know if thats the case here or not. They have a bunch of stuff on tap that I want to try regardless of any bottle sharing. By all means ill bring some bottles and leave them in my vehicle until I know its cool or not.

40. Avalon68

Beer Trader

Sounds like the proper way to do it. I'm confident they won't have any issues with it, but nothing official has been posted.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!