Burlington Beer Company

Discussion in 'New England' started by BoldRulerVT, May 30, 2018.

1. BoldRulerVT

BoldRulerVT Savant (909) Oct 2, 2013 Vermont

On the heels of a ridiculous release weekend with four new beers freshly canned, wanted to start a thread where can talk the greatness that is BBCO. Have at it.

ColdOne and OneEyedWilly like this.
  2. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,730) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Nothing but tumbleweeds so far. I've noticed that BBCO hasn't attracted a lot of BA attention or hype. I've enjoyed the beers and the locale the 3-4 times I've visited, including opening day. How are their hoppy offerings? So far the beers that have really stood out to me were darker beers and barrel aged stuff. I hope they're not going to get away from that entirely to chase the canned IPA rainbow. They seemed a little different than the rest of the pack and if they can't rise to the level of Foam, Alchemist, HF, even Fiddlehead and Frost, seems a shame to get away from stuff they were already doing well.

Or something. This is a non-local's perspective with limited exposure so far. I'm looking forward to a return visit later this summer though.

3. IGaveYouPower

IGaveYouPower Initiate (163) Dec 2, 2010 New York

The hoppy beers these guys make are on par with anyone in VT and at a fantastic price point. They deserve every bit the type that other breweries get instead. And hoppy beers have been their primary focus for a while, so they certainly are not 'chasing' anyone else.

They're super creative with their big BA stouts and their sours as well.

I do wish they'd do a kolsch and/or a pils, but those are very minor gripes.

AirBob and Lone_Freighter like this.
  4. pbrian

pbrian Defender (664) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

I'll give a shout out...I first had their beer in February at Mt Snow (from the new can window). I think it was single hop Simcoe. Loved it so much I made sure to go to 7-11 and get some 4 packs to bring home. Good stuff.

jmanic likes this.
  5. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,730) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Wow I really had no idea. On par with HF? I guess it's been a couple of years now since I've been by. Agreed about them being super creative. Now I'm looking forward to getting back there even more.

6. CLE4goodBeer

CLE4goodBeer Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2011 Ohio

Aren't they not even in Burlington???

7. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aspirant (224) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

I really enjoyed their beers my visit up last year. They will be on my list this year.

OffHeGoes likes this.
  8. papposilenus

papposilenus Meyvn (1,206) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire

Being in SW NH, one of the best things about BBC is that they distro south of Route 89. So I can buy it in Brattleboro.

Mostly I see their IPA's which, come to think of it, is usually what I'm looking for. They've been a little hit-or-miss for me - a couple have been terrific and a couple others have been just better than meh. They're definitely not on par with HF but, in my personal pantheon of Vermont NEIPA's, I'd definitely take Burlington over Foley Bros. and I'd rank them about even with Frost.

Good stuff. I'll have to keep my eyes open for the stouts.

9. IGaveYouPower

I may be alone in thinking so, but as far as hoppy beers specifically, I say absolutely. I would put fresh Elaborate Metaphor, Uncanny Valley and the single hop Mosaic against any of Hill's comparable offerings. They've also got a killer hoppy wheat ale and a killer rye IPA.

Also, the first time I had the Barbe Rouge single hop I thought it was one of the best beers I've ever had in my life. Second time wasn't as good but IIRC it was an older can.

10. SmittyinUpstate

SmittyinUpstate Initiate (58) Aug 27, 2015 New York
    Trader

Orbital Elevator
    It's Complicated Being A Wizard

All of the beers, fantastic. Keep them underhyped plz. : )

11. BoldRulerVT

BoldRulerVT Savant (909) Oct 2, 2013 Vermont

They are in Williston just next to Burlington. Really think the BA community is missing out on these guys.

Lone_Freighter and Sheppard like this.
  12. I_can_smell_the_hops

I_can_smell_the_hops Initiate (53) Apr 2, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

My only regret of going to Vermont back in April is not picking up more BBC cans and stopping at the brewery. I stopped at Winooski Beverage and got a mixed 4 pack of their stuff because I thought it would be easy to get on tap in Burlington.

Their beer is awesome.

13. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (188) Nov 10, 2015 New York

I'm going to Burlington for the third year in a row one week from today. Burlington Beer Co has been awesome the two times i've gone, as far as what was on tap and cans available. This place is completely underrated IMO. I'm perfectly fine with that, it's great to stroll in to a chill tap room and have a selection of 8 different cans or so. Their IPAs are on par with the other big names in VT.

14. Daveshek28

If anyone knows of any new breweries that have opened in the area this year, please share! Thanks.

15. JoeK89

JoeK89 Initiate (161) Mar 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'll see you there bud.

Daveshek28 likes this.
  16. IGaveYouPower

Don't know if they were THAT recent, but Four Quarters in Winooski. Stellar beer there.

Daveshek28 likes this.
  17. Daveshek28

I did go there when they were brand new, yup they're awesome.

18. Larueminati

Larueminati Initiate (199) Sep 3, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

I hit Alchemist, H.F., Frost, Foam and on a whim grabbed a 4pk of BBCO Stainless Forrest and Wizard. Turned out the BBCO's were the best from the trip, IMO.

GormBrewhouse and Lone_Freighter like this.
  19. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (350) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

I wouldn't put them up there with Hill Farmstead, but they're solidly in the next tier of VT breweries. They're worth the cooler space if you're making a run. Haven't been to the brewery itself yet but apparently they serve tacos, so A+, 10/10, best taproom ever.

Lone_Freighter likes this.
  20. thehawdis

thehawdis Initiate (16) Jan 17, 2018 New York

The beer is great, the taproom not so great. Out of town and in a warehouse. Compared to some other VT breweries... meh

21. IGaveYouPower

They have Nintendo Classics, food, plenty of beer on tap and plenty of beer to go. And 'out of town' by like 10 minutes. How anyone could have any complaints about their taproom is well beyond me.

22. Daveshek28

Love the tap room, very chill, not a bunch of idiots lining up for beer while inebriated, etc.

23. OneEyedWilly

OneEyedWilly Initiate (34) May 1, 2019 Massachusetts

I went up a month ago to the brewery and it was packed. I have never tried so many different kinds of ipa from one company and liked every one. I get some down where I live but need to travel a hour just to get a good selection. I really wish I could get more merch from them online hats, shirts, drink ware, etc. I think their recipes are amazing and I wish I could access more from them in Massachusetts.

24. nathanb47

nathanb47 Initiate (162) Dec 14, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

They get pretty good distribution in the Boston and South Shore area. I manage a store in Kingston and we’ve had probably 7 different beers from them pretty consistently

ColdOne likes this.
  25. bobby_teddy

bobby_teddy Initiate (37) Jul 13, 2018 Massachusetts

I picked up four pack of uncanny valley in Maine. It is very good! I was there for the Bissell but BBCO was the real prize.

26. Beertsipper

Beertsipper Devotee (421) Nov 18, 2008 New York

Do they sell any of their 4 packs at Winooski Beverage??? Going up there in June. Thanks guys.

27. vtcraft

vtcraft Initiate (160) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Trader

yes, outside of the brewery bevi will have one of the best selections. You can find them in any decent shop including Trader Joe’s and hannafords

Beertsipper likes this.
  28. YourDigitalGrave

YourDigitalGrave Initiate (28) Jun 5, 2019 Massachusetts

I typically pour these cans into a glass to drink and rinse out my cans for recycling. BBC beers have a ridiculous amount of sediment. Like full on pellets in my sink after I rinse.
    Am I supposed to swirl that stuff into the beer and drink it? Depending on how much makes it into my drink (even without purposely mixing it in), couldn't that alter the taste dramatically?

29. Dukies222001

Dukies222001 Initiate (105) Oct 21, 2016 New Hampshire

I've been drinking BBC for years. I still love their hoppy stuff, Intangible Tides is amazing.

I went sour on them for awhile because they just started making some stuff that was way too out there for me. Cream Puff. honeydew, lime infused, pecan pie, Smoked Apple Sauce, Guave milkshake IPA for example. LOL obviously I just made that up but you get the point.

Just had some Wizard last weekend and it was very much on point.