Burner Beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeanBump, Feb 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeanBump

BeanBump Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2016 California

Over the past few years, Ive made a habit of always keeping some cheap, corporate beer in the fridge. I dont enjoy it per se, but it does come in handy when I have friends/family over that dont care about craft beer. Basically, if someone is going to hang out and they either prefer cheap beer or cant appreciate craft flavor, then I dont want to waste my more costly bottles on them. Ive referred to these cans/bottles of cheap stuff as "burner beers" for years now.

Just curious if anyone else out there does this and what your go-to burner beers are.

I typically opt for Miller High Life because its uber cheap and I dont mind it if I have to choke down a few over sports or whatnot.

stevesbeer, bgold86, Bigrock and 4 others like this.
  2. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,868) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

I only keep beer on hand that I like, which means there's rarely any cheap lager in my fridge. I do keep approachable craft, summit makes a lot of stuff that just about everybody can enjoy and I have a local brewery, exile that makes a hefeweizen that people go nuts for.

3. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Poo-Bah (1,678) Jul 27, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

I always keep something with broad appeal in the fridge...usually something like Pivo Pils. I've never met anyone that liked beer and didn't like Pivo.

PorterPro125, bgold86, Leebo and 19 others like this.
  4. papposilenus

papposilenus Poo-Bah (2,138) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Society

I try to keep a six-pack of Narragansett at the camp during the summer for people who either just don't like the hoppy stuff I favor or for people who I, frankly, just don't like.

Sometimes I sneak one for myself.

KentT, flaskman, mikeinportc and 9 others like this.
  5. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Here, it's typically Rolling Rock Pony Bottles for the AAL folks. There's usually also some Yuengling Traditional Lager for those who prefer local, or who are either just beginning their flavorful beer journey or who are interested in trying something more flavorful than the AALs.

6. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,868) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

Yuengling is legitimately good, I buy it whenever I'm in their distro footprint.

KentT, beerjerk666, ShanePB and 6 others like this.
  7. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (3,001) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

'Gansett is good stuff! One of the best AALs out there, imo.

8. drtth

Yeah, it fits a sweet spot for when I just want a cold one but have no desire to have an IPA or a high ABV Stout, etc.

beerjerk666, Bitterbill, nc41 and 2 others like this.
  9. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,514) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I really don't keep anything in my fridge for others, but on the rare occasion I host, folks tend to bring stuff over as I provide the food. I may occasionally stock my fridge up with a little 12 pack of Sierra Nevada or a sixer or two of PBR tall boys.

I suppose if you want to count it, I do keep PBR in my fridge sometimes, but not really for guests. It makes a good beer to simmer the brats in, to baste the porkchops with, and to otherwise consume while attending the grill or having a campfire chat.

slander420, Lahey, Dan411 and 7 others like this.
  10. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (153) Jul 20, 2016 Indiana

I've got a Michelob Ultra and two Miller Lites in my fridge leftover from when my mother-in-law last visited. It will likely stay there until she visits again. It is a bit offensive she brings that swill over, even though I had a homebrewed AAL on tap at the time.

Typically, though, I have some approachable homebrew on hand that I need to get rid of when people come over. It's a win-win: free beer for them, and I get to brew more often.

11. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,359) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Whatever current macro AAL and light AAL are on sale at the store.

One thing I've found interesting over the years, is that a lot of self avowed AAL drinkers suddenly change their tune when they're given a choice between the craft selection I normally keep on hand at home, and the AAL they say they normally prefer to drink.

#11 John_M, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  12. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,932) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

Bud Light
    Hamms
    Narragansett

13. drtth

Interesting that you've seen that happening.

That's pretty much what some marketing research data collected for Boston Brewing would suggest. While this was a few years ago they found that the most frequent drinker of more flavorful beers was an AAL drinker who wanted a temporary change of pace and chose a craft beer.

14. Averwo

Averwo Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2013 Iowa

Sam 76 has become my "burner beer". Light and refreshing enough for someone that isn't into craft yet tasty enough that it's not "water" for someone that drinks craft beer exclusively. I'm not going to buy shit AAL beer just to satisfy someone. I want to show them something new.

15. Beerbadger55

Beerbadger55 Initiate (109) Aug 29, 2017 Wisconsin

Old Milwakee and Miller Lite are usually in the refrigerator for company although they somehow gravitate to the wife's Spotted Cow for some reason....I'll drink most anything so it doesn't matter

16. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,963) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I don't do this, but great idea. Better than having a non-craft drinker grab one of your cherished craft beers, take one taste, and dump it.

Lahey, Dan411, keithmurray and 3 others like this.
  17. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,455) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I don't keep anything on hand I'd have to choke down or don't like. That being said I always keep an AAL on hand for me since I enjoy the style and enjoy drinking a simple AAL sometimes. Lately its been a rotation between Stag, Hamms, and Miller High Life.

BeanBump, Glider and TongoRad like this.
  18. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I always keep AALs around so it's usually Hamm's, Bud or PBR. I happen to like all three better than the other beers that are in this class.

19. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (3,112) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

My guests are treated to only the finest. If they don't like the beer I keep on hand, they're welcome to choose from among my extensive collection of wines and spirits. I'll even whip up a fruity cocktail on request, provided I have the ingredients.

Just don't ask me for a Bud Light.

20. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (5,110) Dec 25, 2003 California
    Society

Pabst is as low as I go.

Lahey and TrojanRB like this.
  21. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

22. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,963) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

There's always the wine coolers from Thanksgiving 2014

Lahey, Leebo, dcotom and 3 others like this.
  23. bstoos

bstoos Initiate (66) Dec 7, 2017 New York
    Trader

Labatt Blue is generally kept on hand. Thankfully, I don't mind it and the neighbor who drinks it also appreciates decent beer so I don't need to have it all the time.

nc41 likes this.
  24. Jay_P22

Jay_P22 Aspirant (233) Mar 17, 2016 Virginia

I'm not buying stuff I don't like.

25. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (473) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

Closest I get is SN All-Day IPA or Jack's Abby Table Beer.

Phoodcritic and seakayak like this.
  26. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,442) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Well here I am. I think I just don't like Magnum hops

GuyFawkes likes this.
  27. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Poo-Bah (1,678) Jul 27, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

Go figure.

I’m sure you could find something in my fridge...you won’t die of thirst!

28. puck1225

puck1225 Poo-Bah (4,342) Dec 22, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

Some of my son’s friends like Coors light. So I do have a 12 pack next to the good stuff!

29. Giantspace

Giantspace Meyvn (1,051) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

High life is one of my house beers along with Hamms.

I do not feel like I am choking them down and think most others don't either.

Enjoy

30. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Bud light in my fridge anytime my father in law is coming through. It his go to.

Lahey and TriggerFingers like this.
  31. Belial

Belial Initiate (40) Aug 9, 2005 Illinois

there is always old style in my fridge

FBarber likes this.
  32. beer_beer

beer_beer Defender (692) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

I like all NA beers so far (have had 39 different), I'd better, the few that exist all have something to offer. I draw the line at ginger beer, made that noob "mistake" when buying, nice having a couple and then maybe never again. So don't really have any burner beers.

tzieser likes this.
  33. deleted_user_1111368

deleted_user_1111368 Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2016 Delaware

Family and friends know I drink nothing but craft. They know, if they aren't packing their own, it's either craft beer, or water. To date, I've never had to give away a craft, or anyone a water.

34. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,354) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Good beer!

Averwo, Troutbeerbum and FBarber like this.
  35. Kraz

Kraz Disciple (350) Feb 12, 2018 Indiana
    Society Trader

I keep Mich. Ultra for the broad appeal. The misses will grab one every once and awhile and so will most of our friends as I sit in my corner and drink my 300 calorie pints of some fat IPA

dcotom and GuyFawkes like this.
  36. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

I usually have all my craft on hand and also some domestic items for people. I know some people just don't like heavier beer or cannot handle it so I just snag some regular items just in case, this way everyone is happy. One thing I always notice is people will try some of my craft then end up telling me they like it and how much flavor it has. I like to convert one at a time LOL....
    Cheers

Lahey likes this.
  37. YamBag

YamBag Initiate (191) Feb 2, 2007 Pennsylvania

King Cobra is my go to beer for non-craft beer drinkers.

38. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

High life, Negra Modela, and Pilsner Urquell are my go-to cheapies. I think light beers truly suck and I don’t buy them, but I’ve got nothing against American ‘Premium Lagers’.

I always find it funny. At brewers only lounges at beer fests and conferences, with hundreds of craft beers to select from, it’s always the High Life and PBR that kicks first. :grin:

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  39. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Devotee (483) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania

Lately I've been keeping molson golden around. It's clean and somewhat flavorful for an AAL and I've yet to meet someone who doesn't like it.

bstoos likes this.
  40. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,321) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

That's hysterical..Please memorialize them!

bbtkd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.