Calgary bars and bottle shops: A New Hope?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by atomeyes, Feb 13, 2018.

1. atomeyes

atomeyes Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2011 Ontario (Canada)

Just checking to see if there's anything new and good/ok out there.
    Willow Park and the bottle shop in Kensington were my best beer bets, if i recall correctly. Barwise, i pretty much recall it being better to stay at home and drink your bottle purchases.

I'm there in...a day? So any newish tips would be great.

2. hoptemologist

hoptemologist Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2014 Alberta (Canada)

Oak and Vine in Inglewood is great, I know for a fact they have Kriek, RDG, Grand Cru and Iris in the fridge hidden away, they are weird about selling it though. Kensington Co-op is great also and of course Willow Park, I find Kensington Wine to be pretty pricey.

The bar scene, Last Best has a bottle shop downstairs that has decent stuff (Ale Apothecary, possibly still Cantillon) and its not terribly expensive, Bottlescrew Bills has a vintage lambic list, the 09 Iris is gone now but still OG Tilquin, 2011 3F OG and some others.

atomeyes likes this.
  3. atomeyes

thanks!
    guess you wouldn't have natural wine suggestions either, would you? drink in or take home

hoptemologist likes this.
  4. hoptemologist

Drink in would be bar van der fel or pigeon hole, I believe pigeon hole has the largest by the glass menu in calgary

5. wordemupg

wordemupg Poo-Bah (3,774) Feb 11, 2009 Alberta (Canada)

I find myself at Trolley Five a fair bit, worth a stop if your on 17th. I cant argue with hoptemologist's suggestions, if you stop by Kensington Co-op say hi to me, if your still in town anyways.......

atomeyes likes this.
  6. atomeyes

here until tuesday, so you may see me. guessing you're not open on family day?

7. hoser

hoser Aspirant (268) Feb 17, 2003 Alberta (Canada)

Coop will be open family day, more than likely Chris will have the day off though. In fact all the stores will be open family day.

#7 hoser, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  8. wordemupg

I like stat pay, I'll be working Monday.......

hoptemologist and hoser like this.
  9. atomeyes

went to T5 yesterday. yeah, totally not my thing. lots of ballcaps, music was banging, a big, cold space. felt corporate.
    beer-wise, i tried the lager and the NEIPA. lager was a munich bomb and not my thing. the NEIPA missed the mark (too much dank, not enough juice, and colour was pretty brown). maybe they're still finding their way, but yeah...not my scene.

10. hoser

Too bad on Trolley 5 have had some good beers there. Dandy and Annex seem to be the brewpubs I hit the most. Dandy has some fun and Stephen Beaumont was complementary about Annex’s beers.

Up near Dandy there are a bunch of new breweries with taprooms that opened but none of the rooms have much atmosphere. Zero Issue and Common Ground are almost across the street from each other.

Also if you have time there is a maltster/brewery in Strathmore that it is fun and the beers were interesting on our only visit. Lots of styles to showcase their malt. It is cool to see all the farmers and locals getting into craft beer. The place is family oriented with food trucks.

For next visit there is a new brewpub place called Paddy’s that does barbecue place that is only open Wednesday to Saturday that we checked out when it first opened at couple months ago. It is owned by a long time family run catering company.

Other than hit one of the National’s happy hours 3 to 6 if you don’t groove on the locals they have DdC’s Disco Soleil on tap.

atomeyes likes this.
  11. atomeyes

had a bottle of the Dandy sour. didn't love it on first sip, but it grew on me.
    no time tomorrow to check any places out. hopefully there's still some growth ahead for Alberta. amazing that Manitoba's overtaken Alberta as far as breweries and quality of breweries.

12. hoser

Don’t agree on your opinion on Manitoba over taking Alberta, you have to check out Blind Man and Blind Enthusiasm next trip. Think Keep Six is even going to start working with Blind Enthusiasm in Ontario soon.

Bunman3, atomeyes and Cwrw like this.
  13. Cwrw

Cwrw Disciple (397) Nov 22, 2003 Alberta (Canada)

Nah, I can't even keep up with the new Alberta breweries. I wouldn't be surprised if Alberta, per capita, had the largest number of craft breweries opening lately in the country.

If you happen to drive North a bit to Airdrie, there is a great craft beer store called "Thumbprint." A bottle shop with growler fills. They sell ONLY craft beer, none of the big guys there.

Bunman3 and hoser like this.
  14. hoptemologist

Should have hit Last Best! I won't deny we have a long ways to go but we are well ahead of Manitoba in my opinion

hoser likes this.
  15. atomeyes

I met Doug at BE when he was interning at Cantillon and been looking forward to trying his beer out

hoser likes this.
  16. hoser

The cool ship brewery is not going yet, yeah good guy. I helped him get his gig at Le Trou du Diable years ago.

atomeyes likes this.
  17. omlooper

omlooper Initiate (44) Apr 25, 2008 Missouri

Going to have 2 days in Calgary this summer. Sunday afternoon to Tuesday lunch inclusive. Part of a larger Banff/Jasper trip.

I want to be able to try as many Alberta brewed beers as possible so I typically look for beer bars instead of breweries. Food a plus. List so far has CRAFT Beer Market, Last Best Brewing, Hop in Brew Pub, Trolley 5 and Proof (food looks good even with limited taps).

We like walking and exploring neighborhoods wherever we are. We'll be checking out Glenbow and the Contemporary so we'll be downtown for at least an afternoon. Any other areas?

18. hoptemologist

If you go to Proof you will be on the block i live on! If you want to setup an IP trade i would be happy to.

I would suggest skipping Hop in Brew, Craft has good variation, Last Best is great but only serves Last Best beer, Bottlescrew Bills is great and in the same area. I dont think we really have a great beer bar here at least not one I have been to. Few breweries to visit though, Zero Issue, Dandy, Cold Garden to name a few!

19. wordemupg

Has no one brought up Nationals? the one on 10th has bowling,....just saying. lots of Alberta taps in one place anyways........

Bunman3, hoptemologist and hoser like this.
  20. hoser

Nationals are awesome, Peche on tap on happy hour with bowling at the 10 ave location.

As I was at the Hop in Brew tonight, great pizza and an awesome Alberta selection on tap. Pool and Foosball on the top floor.

21. omlooper

omlooper Initiate (44) Apr 25, 2008 Missouri

Thx for suggestions. Beer for thought.

Any of these places not open Mondays? Lazy.

22. DukeViking

DukeViking Initiate (16) Apr 11, 2017 Florida

I'm headed to Calgary in a couple weeks, then to Canmore, Jasper, then looping through Red Deer back to Calgary. I'd welcome any recommendations of breweries and bottle shops along the way, as well as beer and Canadian whiskey recommendations.