Californian Triple IPAs

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by bret27, Jan 31, 2020.

1. bret27

bret27 Meyvn (1,117) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Trader

I’ve noticed a bunch of announcements lately for triple ipa’s in California. Everyone knows about pliney in about a week. SARA just released canned ‘Of this world’ yesterday.
    I’ve also seen news about Heretic’s Evil 3 and El Segundo’s Powerplant. The breweries hype it up on social media like itheyre all equivalent to a PtY release.
    Anybody had these other lesser acclaimed tipa’s? And are they worth seeking out?

BayAreaJoe and ChicagoJ like this.
  2. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (927) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

Yes. It’s the most wonderful time of the year. TIPA season.

3. thuey

thuey Disciple (329) Nov 13, 2015 California

PtY is tops for me. Power Plant is also a really good one. But for the most part, I really don't enjoy TIPAs. Of This World was a miss for me, personally.

4. 310gts

310gts Initiate (69) Jun 22, 2018 California
    Trader

Power Plant is worth picking up for the price/availability. always pretty solid. :+1:

5. fegelFatso

fegelFatso Initiate (185) Jun 23, 2013 California

I’ve yet to have a good Hazy TIPA... that being said, I’ve have very few bad WCTIPAs.

It’s TIPA season... everyone wants in on Pliny Mania!!!!

ChicagoJ and bret27 like this.
  6. bret27

Trader

Does anyone know if power plant gets distribution to Bay Area?

7. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Aspirant (239) May 2, 2016 California
    Trader

Hops of Fury should get honorable mention, not the best one though.

UnknownKoger likes this.
  8. SDReaper

SDReaper Defender (687) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

The Roustabout went on down at Societe

ryno09 likes this.
  9. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Zealot (578) Jul 9, 2010 California

I actually prefer Hops of Fury to PtY. I felt like Younger was too malty/sweet the last few years. I don't know

10. thuey

thuey Disciple (329) Nov 13, 2015 California

Yes. In fact, they even have it on tap at Toronado right... oh wait... it tapped out yesterday, it looks like :/

I only tried it in bottle, from K&L Wines. But they don't have it in stock right now. They do get El Segundo drops regularly (probably due to the Hollywood location).

11. pinballplayer

pinballplayer Disciple (335) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Trader

I traded for like six different Monkish hazy IPAs to see what all the fuss was about and my two favorites were TIPAs.

lucius10 and ChicagoJ like this.
  12. ksheabutter

ksheabutter Initiate (32) Aug 15, 2019 California
    Trader

i thought the monkish/OH/Cellarmaker TIPA collab was great.

LGHT, KevSal and 310gts like this.
  13. dcgunman

Trader

Speaking of singing the tipa blues. I don’t do too much triples these days. But when I do it’s HoF or Dr Lupulin. Younger and Power Plant for me. There’s another Revision triple I enjoy. But it’s a hazy. Them don’t count. I like my triples clear so I can see through the abv’s.

14. AlmostDeadly777

AlmostDeadly777 Initiate (54) Apr 29, 2018 California
    Trader

If MT rebrews it, I really liked Avatar of Might from last year.

FrogOut69 and fegelFatso like this.
  15. RossM

RossM Initiate (50) Nov 27, 2015 California
    Trader

Is Knee Deep Simtra still good? A few years ago if you could find it fresh it was pretty solid.
    Also from the peak Noble days: Citra Yum Yum

dcgunman likes this.
  16. dcgunman

Trader

I forgot about Simtra. Yes when it’s fresh. Remember the days when we would get Breaking Bud, Simtra and other Knee Deep bottles and it would just sit on the shelves collecting dust. Jeremy left to pursue his own dream in Sparks. I followed leaving Knee Deep shelf turds and it’s all Revision these days. Haven’t had any KD stuff since.

RossM and vinylfiend1 like this.
  17. Bungletronics

Bungletronics Initiate (114) Jan 5, 2009 California

Institution's Always Wishing Too Late is decent. I'm not sure if it is packaged. I'm not an IPA person but I enjoyed this one.

18. bayareahustla

bayareahustla Initiate (170) Jul 13, 2012 California
    Trader

Altamont is canning their yearly brewed triple ipa SCARECITY and I believe its already on the market. Pretty tasty.

19. vinylfiend1

vinylfiend1 Initiate (83) Jun 8, 2013 California
    Trader

I’ll probably buy a can or two , I remember 3-4 years it beat out the younger at the bistro fest. Altamont stuff seems malty to me lately tho

20. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Savant (926) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Trader

Altamont has another good one in Maui 3X, really fruity hoppy & easy to drink. I've pretty much loved all of Revision's rotation TIPAs though they come in 22oz bombers. Dr. Lupulin has shown up in new 4x16oz. cans around here now

fegelFatso, bret27 and dcgunman like this.
  21. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Defender (680) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Trader

There were a couple years there where Mother Earth's Big Mother had me thinking "better than Younger." I'm not a big TIPA fan, though, so I haven't had it in a few years.

MonkeyBread likes this.
  22. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,688) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Tried it this past Friday and felt the same way. Not a terrible beer, don't get me wrong, but clearly not in the same league with Younger (IMHO of course).

Here in Portland, Boneyard's Notorious and pFreim's TIPA are arguably two of the better TIPA's up our way, and Reuben's (from Seattle) makes an excellent one as well. Not sure if they're going to make it again this year, but last year Great Notion's Trying for triplets was outstanding as well.

That being said, for every TIPA that comes across as outstanding, I've probably come across 2 or 3 boozy, sweet, over the top malt bombs that are borderline undrinkable. It seems to be a very difficult style to get right.

(Note: Seems like a lot of folks from NorCal make it up to Portland and Seattle, which is why I thought I should mention these beers here).

redeemer, thuey, bret27 and 2 others like this.
  23. dcgunman

Trader

Monday afternoon pour starting out with a triple from LCB King Of Haze V3. Lots of Pineapple and Mango flavors right up front to hide it’s 11%. Next to Revision’s Hops In A Can this is my 2nd favorite triple haze. One and done. On the triple that is. :wink:

MonkeyBread likes this.
  24. _pat_

_pat_ Initiate (59) Apr 26, 2016 Oregon
    Trader

Tried Dr. Lupulin this weekend from the source in Sparks and while it was solid, I didn't think it was up to the level of previous years of Notorious, Big Chicken, or Younger

jakecattleco likes this.
  25. BayAreaJoe

Trader

Fieldwork just put out Tundra again.

Alvarado's hazy One Giant Leap was released again this week.

Henhouse Big Chicken is out again today.

Heretic's Evil3 is out and about now too.

bret27 likes this.
  26. BaxBrew

BaxBrew Initiate (39) Feb 25, 2016 California
    Trader

I'm really excited to see if Zach at Slice puts out a Triple. The first batch of Extremist when he was at Moonraker was incredible. Also, the batch I got last year at Moonrakers anniversary party was great as well

BayAreaJoe likes this.
  27. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Zealot (571) Mar 19, 2012 California

This should be on everyone's list. Very good beer which I always get when available. Happy to hear that it's in can's this year.

BayAreaJoe likes this.
  28. QuakeAttack

Used to drink Stone Ruinten every years (pick up 3-4 bottles). I haven't seen it the past couple of years. Sad.

redeemer, fegelFatso, M-14 and 2 others like this.
  29. AlmostDeadly777

AlmostDeadly777 Initiate (54) Apr 29, 2018 California
    Trader

I saw in the AMA he did here on BA that they don't make it anymore cause it didn't sell. I really liked the orange peel and vanilla bean version of it too. Bummed to see them both go.

redeemer likes this.
  30. bret27

Trader

Lots of great suggestions. Probably more than I can get through. thanks dudes.

31. BayAreaJoe

Trader

Although LCB catches a lot of flak on here (and I've had issues with some of their cans maybe a year ago), I picked up their TIPA In Haze We Trust today because of your post above. Glad I did - some pretty great, redeemable stuff right here.

32. dcgunman

Trader

I had never heard these guys until one of my Vegas trips and visiting Beer Zombies. I thought it was just okay. I don't remember what I had. But when I saw the cans come into my local I paid a little more attention. My local kid at the store told me about the collab with Revision. So I got a 4pk of the Collab.

BayAreaJoe and ChicagoJ like this.
  33. QuakeAttack

Yeah, I get the business decision. Same reason that we don't see Double Bastard, OG, and a few others anymore. Still, some breweries figured out how to dial back some of their beers and still have limited availability for the hard core drinkers. Not Stone.

34. walterfredo

walterfredo Aspirant (210) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Trader

Auburn Alehouse ZZ Hop

35. Ma9573

Ma9573 Initiate (120) Feb 21, 2017 California

Reuben's hazy Triple IPA is delicious. And that double that keeps winning the hazy DIPA gold at the Beer Championships. And their crush series....In fact I love their Hazies waaaayyy more than their West Coast style hops lol

36. Geerd0g

Geerd0g Initiate (60) Aug 29, 2011 Virginia

Don’t know about the various Cali TIPAs, but do recommend some of those from Commonwealth from Virginia Beach. Wolfmother is a standout. Just tried Lantern Lighter, a milkshake TIPA from Abomination, last night. Sweet, rich, and spicy. Pretty smooth at 10.31%.

#36 Geerd0g, Feb 9, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  37. walterfarris

walterfarris Initiate (41) Dec 7, 2017 California
    Trader

Claremont Craft Triple IPA (unaware of it has an actual other name). Clean, crisp, hop-forward, non-malt bomb TIPA that is insanely drinkable. Believe it’s all Mosiac too. Worth a try in my opinion

BayAreaJoe, IceAce and ChicagoJ like this.