Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Asia Cambodia / Vietnam

Discussion in 'The Rest of the World' started by ManforallSaisons, Nov 2, 2013.

1. ManforallSaisons

I'll be committing tourism around Angkor Wat and Siem Reap, and then in Vietnam around Da Nang, Hoi An and Hue (just airport connections in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh/Saigon), late December and early January. I won't be on much of a beer hunt -- probably just be having whatever brew they sell the most of, wherever I'm sitting down to a meal or chilling after a day's tourism. I've seen the reviews on this site so I know what to expect, and don't mind it -- hey, I actually *like* Singha in Thailand or a Thai restaurant (and I certainly plan to do so on my way to/from Bangkok, this trip). But if there's anything special, or especially to avoid, please advise me and future researchers. (And for future archive searching purposes, some alternate spellings, here: Viet Nam, Danang, Huế, Hué, Sài Gòn, Hà Nội, bia, idiot-tourist.)

2. USMCretired

Strictly light lagers in the SEA peninsula. It pairs well with the climate.

HRamz3 likes this.
  3. paulys55

Beer Trader

Tiger beer!

Tweekers237 likes this.
  4. ManforallSaisons

I wouldn't dream otherwise. Just looking for at least something Singha level. If anyone has a good 'n that I won't see in every bar, please advise. I'm reading the Tiger, exclamation mark, as sarcasm. :)

5. paulys55

Beer Trader

Definitely sarcasm but it was the beer that a lot of soldiers drank during the war.

6. krouge

But in the case of Vietnam, Tiger is about at good as it gets unless you buy expensive Euro imports (which are only easy to find in major cities). In Cambodia the local beer is less bleak but, as in Vietnam, the main virtue of the local beers is that they are cheap.

7. mythaeus

Beer Trader

While in VN, you can try the local "Bia hoi" just for the kick of it. Here is a reasonably decent guide to VN microbreweries: http://beervn.com/ . Otherwise, drink the local rice liquors. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rượu_đế and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rượu_nếp are two common types and are delicious. Ask the hotel about higher quality "ruou de".

I hope you're bringing a nice camera with wide angle lens to Siem Reap and planning on staying there for 3 or 4 days. It's an amazing area. If possible, get to Siem Reap by boat. Tonle Sap lake is beautiful at the narrow parts. Be sure to have plenty of sun block (cream, wide-brim hat, long pants, etc.). Fresh coconut juice, cut right in front of you, is probably the safest to drink besides bottled water.

Enjoy!

ManforallSaisons likes this.
  8. tbeckett

Subscriber Beer Trader

Bia Hoi in Hanoi is great. The atmosphere at the huge Bia Hoi corner is wonderful.

Cheap draft in Siem Reap for 50 cents a glass everywhere. Beer on tap is so refreshing after a day in the sun at the temples.

There was a decent stout available in Cambodia called Black Panther.

There's also a craft brewery in Cambodia now. Kingdom is their name.

Otherwise it's all piss.

9. ManforallSaisons

Mid-Cambodia report: Kingdom pilsener is either legitimately decent or just shining next to dreadful Anchor (don't get excited; a local product) and passable Angkor. Angkor stout's not bad as a sort of Caribbean-type franchise milk stout.

10. ManforallSaisons

N
    Just fine, actually, and my choice if Kingdom not available. In otber news, ABC stout is passable as another of the sweet milk variety. (It's been cooler than normal so not bad of an evening to have a little stout.)

11. ManforallSaisons

Following up on Vietnam: 333 is a mildly sweet but crisp iteration in a Singha-like way, good with food. Saigon was possibly the lightest beer I've ever tried; I believe the expression is "sex in a canoe." (You know what I mean.) But oddly it sat very well with me of a pleasant lunch hour to have something that was like a glass of sparkling water with a hint of beeriness about it. Larue or La Rue (spellings differed) around Hue as well as Hanoi brand affirmed tbeckett's generalization. I should emphasize, in line with the above and my own experience, they're all gradations of same same, and they all worked just fine. Thanks, all.

12. Brabander

My brother in law was in Saigon last week and he told me there is a shop with all the Belgian beers...exept Westvleteren.....

13. ManforallSaisons

Last thing I'd want but good to know for our beer-hunting brethren

14. kot1967

Let me introduce short IMHO for Vietnamese beer:D.
    Say for the "resort zone" only.
    1. Can (as above mentioned) local and the license. Price for 0,5l. - 0,5-1$. My grade - 5 (of 10).
    2. Real aborigine craft beer

[​IMG]
    Price - 0.3$ (for me:confused:). My grade 8. Has been sold in the “Vietnam town” only.
    3. Foreign (European as usually). In the cafe\bars for foreign. 3$. The mark is 7.
    4. Special local beer :),
    [​IMG]
    In the cafe\bars 2$. Gr. - 5. Looks like a canned variant.
    5. Craft (from local brewing for tourists of cause, usually inside the restaurant food-court).
    In Tha-Trang for example, its Louisiana, 4-Season ect, f.e.
    [​IMG]
    Specific local taste flavor (fruit or sea taste). 3-5$. Evaluation 9. Good beer, sure.

Make your own decision. Cheers;)

#14 kot1967, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  15. tkdchampxi

Beer Trader

I'm Vietnamese, and I think this is such an interesting thread. I've only been to Vietnam once, and I was too young to drink at the time. Still, I'm very curious about what everyone has to say here.

16. HRamz3

In the heat/humidity of SEA, I can't imagine drinking anything other than the local brews.

17. Tweekers237

This is very true. Just got back from Vietnam about 3 weeks ago and I already knew Tiger was basically their Budweiser. Found 333 Beer (about .45 cents a can) and a step up was Saigon beer. All lagers, but they do the trick when there is nothing else.

18. StephanieGodfrey

Let me tell you, when in Hanoi, I found that beer shops can be easily found. There is a joke that: “Once visiting Vietnam, beside “pho”, “beerculture” is the other experience that you must try ever in your life”. I booked a food tour through Bestprice Vietnam, and I had a chance to explore city streets on the behind of a scooter. We stopped at a small sidewalk beer shops in the Old Quarter for 'bia hoi' (fresh beer). Just an around of 12,000 VND (~ $0.5) for a cup of tasty 'bia hoi'. Sitting side-by-side and hearing “1,2,3 Yo-Yo” cheers, I saw not only locals, but also many westerners joined with them. What an unique and unforgettable experience for me!

mythaeus and tkdchampxi like this.
  19. rponder

Beer Trader

Pasteur Street Brewing is definitely worth checking out if you are in Saigon. Their food is delicious and their Jasmin IPA is top notch.

20. Pasteur_Street

Thanks rponder - we've been open just over a year now in Ho Chi Minh City - beer lovers can find us at 144 Pasteur Street. We're also selling our beer to bars and restaurants all over town and now in Hanoi, Nha Trang, Danang, and Hoi An (so far ...). Cheers!

21. jwall

22. Hiwattowner

Subscriber Beer Trader

Pasteur Street brewing definitely worth a visit. Nice place. Friendly staff. Thought the DIPA was great.

Jasmine IPA:

[​IMG]

DIPA:

[​IMG]

Redrover and rponder like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe