Cambridge Brewing Company (2020)

Discussion in 'New England' started by AlcahueteJ, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,169) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

jlordi12, AlcahueteJ, AirBob and 3 others like this.
  2. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (541) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

I agree on CBC. But I think they still say Ebenezers is the best beer bar in America, so one could say it’s a bit out of touch.

AlcahueteJ and Sheppard like this.
  3. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (272) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

It’s a little surprising if amber outsells house lager because when someone orders a bud light(which I’ve heard there many times) they explain they only serve their own beer and usually recommend the lager.

Sheppard likes this.
  4. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,183) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

How many Bud Light drinkers are strolling into CBC though?

5. braineater

braineater Initiate (126) Dec 24, 2005 Massachusetts

Lots. Lots and lots. There are a lot of Bud Light drinkers out there and they end up at places like CBC when they go out with their friends, family, and coworkers. Or maybe they're just in the area and searched Yelp for "buffalo chicken tenders" and CBC was the closest place that popped up. Most of the time they will happily try something else when they can't get a Bud Light.

FrankLloydMike likes this.
  6. AlcahueteJ

Hmm. My brother is a Bud Light drinker, and we'll either completely avoid going to a place like that if he's with us, or we'll go there and grab a beer (and he MAY get a pale lager of some sort, but sometimes he'll just have water) and then we'll go to either Smoke Shop or State Park so he can have a Bud Light and drink with us.

But, I'm sure you're right, that's just my personal experience.

7. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,169) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

I feel like a lot of light beer drinkers get light beer because it's what they know and it's pretty much every where. When they're in a new place without light beer, if everyone else is having beers, they'll still have beers. That's my experience, at least.

braineater likes this.
  8. OffTrail

OffTrail Initiate (80) Aug 12, 2012 Washington

Man, IIRC my first post ever on BA was an endorsement of Charles River Porter, and you were the first to rec it. So I'm glad to return the favor.
    They used to serve it at Casablanca in Harvard Square.

eaglephile, SABERG, Sheppard and 4 others like this.
  9. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,265) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

We were out for lunch on Saturday, excellent food as always.
    The English Mild and Blunderbuss were fantastic
    Cheers all

10. AlcahueteJ

English Mild you say? I have to go to MIT on Saturday...was looking for an excuse to grab a beer in the area before heading home, looks like I have one now.

EnronCFO likes this.
  11. kinopio

Had the English mild on cask today. Very nice. The black currant sour called time curve prelude was delicious.

AlcahueteJ, meefmoff and Sheppard like this.
  12. eaglephile

eaglephile Initiate (150) Jan 12, 2009 Massachusetts

I was also there for brunch Saturday and also enjoyed the mild - perfect compliment to some egg tacos. Thankfully my son loved the French toast and they server was so nice to him. See you seen CBC

Sheppard, AlcahueteJ and SABERG like this.
  13. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (541) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

It’s a mild, you can grab one before and after.

SunDevilBeer, AlcahueteJ and Sheppard like this.
  14. AlcahueteJ

At 9:30 am? Haha...maybe.

15. AlcahueteJ

Just realized one of you had it last Saturday and the other on Thursday. I’m curious if they have multiple firkins of this.

It’s still on the list on their site, but if it was the same firkin, Saturday to Thursday is pushing it.

SABERG likes this.
  16. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,265) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

I had it on draft no Firkin last Sunday
    Enjoy

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  17. AlcahueteJ

Awesome! Should still be good by Saturday assuming it went on cask mid-week.

Sounds like you should head back there too...

SABERG likes this.
  18. kinopio

I believe they put a new beer on cask every Wednesday.

AlcahueteJ and SABERG like this.
  19. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (639) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Swung by CBC specifically today to try the English mild (on CO2). Delicious.

of course had to have a barleywine too, ‘cuz of the low ABV on the other beer

Sheppard, jlordi12, Witherby and 4 others like this.
  20. AlcahueteJ

Swung by Saturday and had both the cask and the CO2 version of it for comparison. They were both enjoyable, but I felt the cask was just starting to turn.

I think they were both good, but not as good as some others I've had. I'd probably order it again though (I actually almost did because I thought about going to Olde Magoun's new bar in Medford called Long Cross because they had it on cask).

As an aside, bought a couple of singles of Nightshift's English Dark Mild sold at their Love Joy location. I would put it roughly on par with the CO2 version I had at CBC, albeit with a slightly higher ABV than I prefer in this style at 4.7%.

21. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (445) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Have you been? I hadn't heard about this.

Also, is it possible Dark Milds are having a moment?:thinking_face::grinning:

Matted24 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  22. AlcahueteJ

Nope, it's on my list!

Definitely! They're the next New England IPA. :wink:

23. rhino88888888

rhino88888888 Initiate (119) Dec 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I visited Longcross last weekend for a quick mid-afternoon visit. The beer list and space are almost a carbon copy of Olde Magouns (with more windows). Seems like there is plenty of parking. They have three handpumps, which is fantastic. Unfortunately the casks had all kicked when I visited. (Good sign, I guess?) The bars staff seemed to be working out the kinks as far as service, but I'm sure they'll figure that out. I didn't try the food. The location is very close to the Wellington stop on the Orange line and about a 20min walk to the Night Shift/Bone Up neighborhood. (and the walk is much more pleasant now that the bridge construction is finished.)

Sheppard, AlcahueteJ and meefmoff like this.