CANBIF Fall 2013

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Phyl21ca, Sep 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phyl21ca

Phyl21ca Grand Pooh-Bah (5,110) Jun 26, 2003 Canada (QC)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The people have spoken (Thanks Fondue!) and we are back with another version fo CANBIF.

Here are the rules/details of how we intend to proceed:

- Registration: Email/conversation sent to TheSevenduffs and Phyl21ca with full address (City, Province) before midnight on September 15th.
    - Participants who have never traded need to inform us and should plan on acquiring a styro shipper.
    - Please also inform us if you have regular trading partner on BA.
    - Pairing will be available very shortly after the 15th.
    - Willing to ship between September 16th and September 30th.
    - Amount of beers to be sent: 110-150 oz (which is approx 5 x 22 oz bottles and 1x 12 oz bottle). At least half of the bottles should be local. The rest can be an assortment of US/other provinces.
    - Swag is not required but usually well appreciated.

Let TheSevenduffs or myself know if you have any question/concerns.

P.S. Admin – please do not move this thread to the BIF forum for now until people had a chance to see this thread in the Canada forum

2. TheSevenDuffs

TheSevenDuffs Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Canada (ON)

Looking forward to another CANBIF. I believe this is officially CANBIF #9.

SebD likes this.
  3. SebD

SebD Pooh-Bah (1,874) Nov 24, 2010 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah

4. Lurkaholic

Lurkaholic Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2013 Canada (BC)

OK, you officially have one total noob participating. I promise not to let you guys down :slight_smile:

FondueVoodoo and TheSevenDuffs like this.
  5. bylerteck

bylerteck Grand Pooh-Bah (3,143) May 17, 2009 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah Society

How are we definining local?

6. TheSevenDuffs

I assume you are asking because you regularly get Quebec beers? We are ok with situations like that but anyone who might be sending "locals" that are not from the province they are from, please let us know because the location of locals helps us determine who to pair with whom. We avoid pairing Ottawa people with Quebec people anyway though. However, if your local beers are from VT, I will be tour target :slight_smile: lol

seblp likes this.
  7. bylerteck

bylerteck Grand Pooh-Bah (3,143) May 17, 2009 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah Society

I was asking more b/c I would call 'locals' stuff from Ottawa. But if we're going with a provincial definition, all should be good.

Sadly, no trips to Vermont until November. BM me for HT then.

8. FondueVoodoo

FondueVoodoo Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Canada (BC)

I'm in! May need to experiment with some fall related swag, pumpkin beer marshmallows anyone... :wink:

Lurkaholic, tbadiuk and seblp like this.
  9. seblp

seblp Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Canada (QC)

I'm in! The last one was great and hopefully it won't snow in the Prairies this time :wink:

P.S: Beeeeeer marshmallooooooooooows :grinning:

Electros and FondueVoodoo like this.
  10. Electros

Electros Grand Pooh-Bah (3,574) Feb 20, 2007 Canada (ON)
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I am really looking forward to this!

11. pushkinwow

pushkinwow Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 Canada (ON)

12. pushkinwow

pushkinwow Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 Canada (ON)

Also curious to here people's thoughts on growlers...have some good local stuff but bottles are few and far between.

13. Rutager

Rutager Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2010 Canada (BC)

Fresh growlers are always a great thing!

14. FondueVoodoo

FondueVoodoo Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Canada (BC)

Here is a useful link on methods of packing for those who have not traded previously.

Lurkaholic likes this.
  15. Lurkaholic

Lurkaholic Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2013 Canada (BC)

Cheers, that is well worth a bookmark.

I also read through the previous CANBIF thread - quite a lot to wade through there, but gives a great idea of how generous people can be... in case you're looking to make a good first impression :slight_smile: Boxes start arriving around page 6.

16. TheSevenDuffs

There were a few pretty ridiculous American bottles that found their way in to boxes from the last BIF. I recall (off the top of my head) a Cherry Adam from the Wood :grimacing: among others. Don't go in to this with that expectation though. Those are the exception, not the rule. That said, one thing that became fairly common in the last BIF was people exceeding the minimum volume requirement by a considerable amount. I am sure we will see more of that this time, but again, people don't need to feel compelled to do that.

My best piece of advice for someone participating for the first time is to try to come up with a couple of local bottles that were seasonal/limited release beers that didn't make their way out of the province that you live in. It's an added bonus if you can find something that was brewery only (like Bellwoods beer). That's the kind of stuff that people really get excited about in these BIFs. By now, many of us have had the regularly available beers from other provinces, so try to avoid those unless you specifically see it in your target's "wants".

.... which reminds me ... everyone participating should do their best to update their wants!

17. KeKeKumba

KeKeKumba Initiate (0) May 5, 2011 Canada (ON)

Those 32oz BTP growlers fit perfectly into styro shippers!

Phyl21ca likes this.
  18. TheSevenDuffs

I have no problem with growlers but if they are not counter-pressure filled growlers they can be a bit risky. If you end up shipping all the way across the country (say to BC) it's going to be a week to get to its destination. If you do go the growler route, I'd make sure you get the growler on a weekend and ship your box the following Monday. Hopefully it will get to its destination by the Friday and still be reasonably fresh.

19. CurtisD

CurtisD Savant (1,182) Aug 16, 2012 Canada (NB)
    Trader

Psyched for this...thanks again guys for doing this!

20. strang

strang Initiate (0) May 27, 2009 Canada (AB)

FYI for anyone shipping into Alberta, you can check if a release is available here by searching this site:

http://www.liquorconnect.com/Pages/default.aspx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.