CANBIF Fall 2013

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Phyl21ca, Sep 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lurkaholic

Lurkaholic Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2013 Canada (BC)

I suspect my hints are making no sense to anyone but hints 4 and 5 might shed too much light... I'll save them for when I've shipped & when said package is due to be delivered.

Electros likes this.
  2. SebD

SebD Pooh-Bah (1,874) Nov 24, 2010 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah

I'm still waiting on 2 great hoppy American beers to get here (hopefully tomorrow, or else early next week). That being said my package should be out by next wednesday the latest. I will only be able to get 3 of my targets wants but the 2 coming from the states are guaranteed to make him or her weep like a little baby. For sure the best box I've ever put together for a BIF.

Hint 1: My box is going East of my location

3. iguenard

iguenard Zealot (594) Jan 30, 2006 Canada (QC)
    Trader

161 oz only here, but great swag and even better beer. Box leaving tomorrow. Someone's gonna be jumping up and down next week.

4. bylerteck

bylerteck Grand Pooh-Bah (3,143) May 17, 2009 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah Society

2 boxes ready to go tomorrow. Hopefully someone out west is drinking some good stuff in about a week.

Again a reminder to my secret Santa that I'm out of town sep 26 til oct 2 so please avoid shipping for an arrival date during that time.

Lurkaholic likes this.
  5. TheSevenDuffs

TheSevenDuffs Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Canada (ON)

TWO boxes?

6. Electros

Electros Grand Pooh-Bah (3,574) Feb 20, 2007 Canada (ON)
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

7. bylerteck

Pooh-Bah Society

Couldn't fit it all in 1. That might speak to the size of my boxes or the amount of space taken up by padding.

...or the amount of beer.

8. Lurkaholic

Lurkaholic Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2013 Canada (BC)

Well shit. How am I supposed to impress you guys when you're all being so crazy generous?!

Seriously though, I'm loving this thread. So much good karma.

FondueVoodoo and TheSevenDuffs like this.
  9. KeKeKumba

KeKeKumba Initiate (0) May 5, 2011 Canada (ON)

My box is officially on the move after spending 24 hours at my local post office. C'mon, Canada Post, pull a miracle out of your ass and get someone their beer for the weekend!

iguenard, Electros, mtomlins and 2 others like this.
  10. Boozecamel

Boozecamel Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2011 Canada (BC)

Thanks for the heads up! Gonna wait for this too.

Hmmmm I think the Satori at St Augstines on Monday is going to get a hammering.

11. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Savant (1,187) Oct 24, 2012 Canada (BC)

A rather well known surf town brewery is also releasing a double IPA very soon :grinning:

mtomlins and FondueVoodoo like this.
  12. FondueVoodoo

FondueVoodoo Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Canada (BC)

Hitting yvr next week.

13. TheSevenDuffs

Why do so many Canadian BA's insist on using Canada Post to ship? Purely convenience?

14. bylerteck

Pooh-Bah Society

Is there a better way?

15. TheSevenDuffs

Yes. FedEx.

seblp likes this.
  16. KeKeKumba

KeKeKumba Initiate (0) May 5, 2011 Canada (ON)

I've never had any issues at all with Canada Post in about 12-15 shipments since I've started trading. The majority of those being to Toronto or Quebec, and just one going out west to Calgary. With Xpresspost I've been able to ship 12 bottles for around $22-25 and that basically always gets it there in less than 24 hours. I guess with Canada Post working well so far on my short distance trades, and it definitely being convenient, I've just never bothered use anything else. I'd like to give FedEx a try, though. It's just a matter of breaking up the routine.

mtomlins likes this.
  17. TheSevenDuffs

I guess it is all a matter of personal preference. For me, I have had one outgoing box break and it was with Canada Post, so that soured my opinion on them from the get-go. I have also noticed that it generally takes Canada Post a day longer to get a box from/to me from/to BC than Fedex takes. Canada Post can't seem to get a box that is dropped off on a Monday between Ontario and BC by the Friday, which really annoys me. FedEx always gets it there on the Friday.

I have also had a number of issues with Canada Post where boxes just seem to "disappear" for a day or two. The tracking info shows that it has reached a local postal facility but it doesn't make it on a truck for delivery the next morning. This has happened on incoming boxes at least 3-4 times in the past couple of years. Never happens with Fedex.

If you have a FedEx account, prices are fairly comparable but Canada Post might be a couple of dollars cheaper.

I guess it just comes down to personal preference and personal experiences (good and bad).

mtomlins likes this.
  18. Phyl21ca

Phyl21ca Grand Pooh-Bah (5,110) Jun 26, 2003 Canada (QC)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I personally prefer Canada Post. I have a Venture One card which offers discount which makes it quite cheaper then Fedex and allow the use of Expedited service which is faster then standard. I also like that the box is dropped off at the Post Office when I am not home to pick up instead of having to drive 40 minutes to the Fedex hub.
    I have over 400 trades (I have been trading for a while now ) and the only two times I had issues was incoming packages from Fedex.

FondueVoodoo and mtomlins like this.
  19. TheSevenDuffs

This just goes to show you the different experiences that different BA have. I also have my incoming trades shipped to my work, where there is always somewhere to sign for it and keep it safe for me if I am not in that day. If my trades were shipped to my house, I could definitely see the appeal of Canada Post. My FedEx hub is only 15 minutes away from me and that is still terribly inconvenient. Yours is 40 minutes...

20. Electros

Electros Grand Pooh-Bah (3,574) Feb 20, 2007 Canada (ON)
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It is a little cheaper if you print your Canada Post labels through pay pal, you get a 10% discount, last bif I saved 8$ on shipping and it took the same amount of time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.