Canada CANBIF Fall 2016

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Phyl21ca, Sep 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phyl21ca

Phyl21ca Poo-Bah (8,120) Jun 26, 2003 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Now that we are approaching fall, I thought it was time to get moving on the fall CANBIF round. The last round was our biggest yet with some great boxes flying back and forth.

The CANBIF is a great entry into trading for those who have never traded before. I strongly recommend everyone use a styro shipper.

Below are the rules/details of how we intend to proceed:

• Registration: Email/conversation sent to Phyl21ca with full address (City, Province) and phone number before midnight on September 25, 2016.
    • Participants who have never traded need to inform us and should plan on acquiring a styro shipper.
    • Please also inform us if you have regular trading partner on BA.
    • Pairing will be available by September 28, 2015 at the latest.
    • You must be willing to ship between September 28th and October 12th, 2016 (weather permitting).
    • Amount of beers to be sent: 110-150 oz (which is approx 5 x 22 oz bottles and 1x 12 oz bottle) but typically participant have been filling a 12 slot styro shipper. At least half of the bottles should be local. The rest can be an assortment of US/other provinces.
    • Swag is not required but is optional.

I am also looking for one volunteer would be willing to assist me in running this CANBIF and eventually take over the organisation of these BIFs.

Please let myself know if you have any question/concerns.

2. GJKerr

GJKerr Initiate (83) Aug 11, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I'll be first - I'm in.

I was thinking that it may be a good idea if everyone who regularly uses untappd could post their user names to this thread; that way participants could start adding each other with abandon prior to Sept 28, in order to avoid potentially giving any surprises away once pairings are released. I find the app makes for an easy searchable record of a target's hads and preferences. My user name is the same as here - feel free to add.

3. CurtisD

CurtisD Devotee (420) Aug 16, 2012 New Brunswick (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Definitely in again! We're away on vacation for most of the shipping window, so I will need to either ship a bit early if the targets have been handed out, or at the very end of the window (the week after Thanksgiving).

GJKerr, dabeerbuddha and Phyl21ca like this.
  4. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Defender (653) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

As much as it pains me, i think i am out for this round. The shipping window takes place at the same time as move I making.

Happy to help with the logistics though if no one else has already expressed interest.

Cheers.

5. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy Initiate (132) Sep 5, 2014 Nova Scotia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I'm in again. I'm taking a trip to Maine next weekend and am hoping to have time to pick up some local stuff (between Belgian Fest and brewery tours :stuck_out_tongue:)

6. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Disciple (311) Oct 24, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I'm in, but let's be honest here, nobody sends only 6 bottles. I don't think anyone sent less than 10 last time, with most 12+ #HackAStyro

7. JonCorbett

JonCorbett Devotee (448) Mar 10, 2016 Alberta (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Oooohhh... Sign me up! I'm in.

GJKerr, Phyl21ca and dabeerbuddha like this.
  8. byronic

byronic Champion (822) Nov 8, 2013 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

The shipping window won't work out for me, needed a few extra days. Will have to bow out for this round. Will be watching this thread however :slight_smile:

9. Hal_Hickey

Hal_Hickey Initiate (132) Oct 17, 2014 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I'm in and agree with Johnny, let's call it a 12 minimum.

westcoastbeergeek and GJKerr like this.
  10. Shawn_Winters

Shawn_Winters Initiate (144) Jul 7, 2014 Nova Scotia (Canada)

I'm in. And I won't be messing around with Canada post this time. Just an FYI to the group I filed a grievance last time to the ombudsman at CP for confiscating my beer shipment as federal regulations (that they sent a copy of to me) clearly allow the shipment of beer and other alcohol if it's for personal consumption. I was then informed that Canada post will allow wine to be shipped but not beer!! So if anyone is using Canada post, just say it's wine and you should not have to worry about it being confiscated. Shipping wine requires the receiver to sign and show proof of age.

My untappd username is techore.

11. GJKerr

Beer Trader

Agree - let's all send a twelve bottle shipper.

Bunman3, dabeerbuddha and Phyl21ca like this.
  12. yasky

yasky Disciple (367) Dec 21, 2008 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I'll live vicariously through others this time around, but will be back with a vengance in the spring.

byronic likes this.
  13. JordanRC

JordanRC Initiate (134) Aug 5, 2014 Manitoba (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Potentially interested, but I worry about a couple of things, mostly the "Local" requirement (Manitoba here). I have what I consider to be the best local offerings (we've had a couple of new breweries open up, but I wouldn't call them "consistent" yet, and even the the offerings being very basic).

If I joined, would I be better sticking to the 50% locals and the rest strong non-local offerings, or making the best box I can but having a smaller local showing, closer to 25-30% of the box (though in my opinion a stronger box)?

Also, haven't shipped within Canada yet - how much have you guys paid previously for a 12 shipper? any suggestions on where to purchase one?

Thanks!

cgwami likes this.
  14. CurtisD

CurtisD Devotee (420) Aug 16, 2012 New Brunswick (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I may be in the minority on this, but I would rather receive something mostly local, since it is likely my only opportunity to try them. I would skip sending something clearly not ready for prime time, but I would not worry about sending out anything from a local brewery lineup, be it a core offering or something more special.

Shawn_Winters likes this.
  15. bylerteck

bylerteck Poo-Bah (2,896) May 17, 2009 Ontario (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Do your research. Check out what your target is into and what they've tried. This isn't about whalez, it's about exposure to new stuff.

16. iguenard

iguenard Aspirant (236) Jan 30, 2006 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Count me in. I'll probably regret this, but count me in :slight_smile:

dabeerbuddha and Phyl21ca like this.
  17. pushkinwow

pushkinwow Initiate (69) Dec 20, 2006 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I'm in too...Phil not sure about helping out this time around given work situation but might be able to lend a hand...give me a shout.

18. comoxlandia

comoxlandia Initiate (24) Sep 15, 2016 British Columbia (Canada)

I'd like to join as well. I've got 4 of the 3 btl styrofoam shippers (i don't have a 12 btl shipper). Have usually only done trades with 6 btls so seems like this will be a massive box 4 of these shippers...

I'm on Untappd as Alex B. but there are lots of those so probably easiest to find me by searching vandoc

dabeerbuddha, byronic and Phyl21ca like this.
  19. Whatup14

Whatup14 Crusader (754) Apr 16, 2013 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Will unfortunately have to sit this one out, but I'll be back for the spring one!

I also will be looking at the hints and hauls thread with envy.

I'm on Untappd as well under the same username.

20. dabeerbuddha

dabeerbuddha Aspirant (273) Feb 4, 2016 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Uhaul - https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Boxes/Kitchen-Moving-Boxes/Wine-Shipping-Kits
    Uline - https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail...gclid=CIPm1ZXtls8CFQlZhgodobUEYw&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you are considering doing more trading and you buy from Uhaul get a couple 6 bottle shippers and a 3 bottle shipper as well. Orders over $50 get you free shipping.
    Cheers!

Phyl21ca likes this.
  21. dabeerbuddha

dabeerbuddha Aspirant (273) Feb 4, 2016 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Count me in. There is something irresistible about beer stalking a target and dropping a load of carefully selected brew goodness on their porch! Cheers

byronic, Phyl21ca and JonCorbett like this.
  22. Derek

Derek Poo-Bah (3,567) Apr 2, 2005 British Columbia (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Strangely I just tried to send a package via Canada Post. They asked what it was (they've never before), so I said wine. She said it was a dangerous good and they couldn't ship it.

Any recommendations for a shipping company? Is there anyone that will ship beer if they know what it is?

#22 Derek, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  23. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Disciple (311) Oct 24, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

AFAIK only licensed entities (stores/wineries) are allowed to ship wine in Canada or from the US, and beer is only allowed in the same province for now.

But Craft Canada uses FedEx in multiple provinces, might be that new agreement thing. Still not sure its legal yet. http://www.canadacraftclub.ca/shipping-your-beer/

Also, FedEx would be more than happy to ship your wine if they could, which is why I think they don't care if you ship it, but they still say it's against policy for consumer to ship to consumer. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...should-be-removed-says-fedex-canada-1.3161391

Phyl21ca likes this.
  24. GRM

GRM Initiate (19) May 10, 2008 Quebec (Canada)

Allô Philippe,
    you can add me to your list.
    I am GRM on RateBeer.

Phyl21ca likes this.
  25. Benjjjamin

Benjjjamin Initiate (134) Apr 5, 2016 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I would very much like to participate and this would be my first time. Will PM you my details.
    Can add me on Untapped at Benjjjamin

Phyl21ca likes this.
  26. JonCorbett

JonCorbett Devotee (448) Mar 10, 2016 Alberta (Canada)
    Beer Trader

SHIPPING
    See this really good link on the laws by province:

http://www.winelaw.ca/cms/index.php...atid=23:shipping-border-import-laws&Itemid=27

And here is my experience with shipping my beer in Canada...

Canada Post
    You can ship alcohol via Canada Post if you have a Canada Post service contract or VentureOne/Small Business Account AND you have to make your labels at home using an Electronic Method so you can select the "Adult Signature Required" option. Making a small business account is fairly straight forward and the last time I did it (about 6 years ago) I just indicated I was an infrequent eBay shipper. Didn't cost me anything, and at that time i didn't need a business number or anything, and so long as you are registered as a Small Business with them it is ok, see this link:
    https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGnonmail-e.asp#1378246

FedEx and UPS Canada
    FedEx and UPS have similar policies - it is only available via contract - BUT
    providing you print off your labels online you do not need to indicate the contents. What happens is if a bottle breaks in shipping is they may open it, and it voids your insurance coverage, but in most cases they will still deliver it especially if you check the "Adult Signature Required" box. They might give you a warning about their policy but legally (in most cases) it is not illegal to use couriers to transport alcohol in Canada.

That all said. These are internal policies set by corporation not laws, they are there to ensure that appropriate taxes and governmental controls are maintained because liquor is a provincially regulated commodity and the courier doesn't want to be held liable for incorrect distribution (to minors for example). UPS and FedEx will respect customer privacy so they don't require nor should be asking for a shipment contents UNLESS you send outside of Canada which you then need to declare to Customs. When they do ask, it's usually to evaluate whether or not to offer extra insurance, because base insurance is only $100 and they want to make sure you are given the opportunity to make sure it is covered especially if it goes missing or is damaged. If I ever do get asked, I just say "personal goods worth about $50 bucks" and that usually is enough.

So Jonny - You are right...
    their policy states that, but it does not actually prevent you from shipping it.

I use UPS and have never had any issues - (just open an account through their website). I print my labels at home and box it up and just drop it off at a UPS Store. When they see the label all ready to go they assume you know what you are doing and just take the box.

#26 JonCorbett, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    CaptainMurphy likes this.
  27. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy Initiate (132) Sep 5, 2014 Nova Scotia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Yes, the importation limits are still controlled by each province, which is a pain. Even more confusing because each delivery company has their own policies. In the case of Canada Post, they could not provide any Federal regulation prohibiting alcohol when Shawn pressed them, but their official policy is they will ship wine but not beer. Of course, it depends on who you talk to as to whether they will deliver or not - ON would not deliver or allow pickup, NS will allow pickup, etc. In the case of Fedex, I heard they got pinched once shipping alcohol into NL (with super low import limits), so I believe they made a policy of not shipping alcohol anywhere in Canada.

JonCorbett has the right idea. I signed up for a CP small business account last year - super easy for anyone to do, no actual business required. That way you can print your own labels and just drop off the package, as long as it's going within Canada. I wouldn't mess with International. I usually say it's breakable collectibles or something similar on the box.

Best practice is to pack really well, and try to keep things clean in the case of breakage. I've seen people use either one big bag or several small bags just in case. Also a good idea if you're bringing stuff home with you when flying, as I learned the hard way coming back from SFO.

28. bylerteck

bylerteck Poo-Bah (2,896) May 17, 2009 Ontario (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I always just use the Ship In A Click option with Canada Post. No questions, just drop off and walk away.

Coronaeus likes this.
  29. TeemuWPG

TeemuWPG Initiate (149) Sep 14, 2016 Manitoba (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Would love to participate, but truly not sure I could provide a good enough box from here in Manitoba. Our selection is lacking and I'm not sure our locals would be all that popular.

cgwami likes this.
  30. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Defender (653) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I'd be happy with a box of Manitoba locals. Some of the users who take part in this are tickers above all else, and would love a box of new ticks, even if the beer isn't a world beater. I for one would love to get a box with Half Pints Burly Wine and Humulus Ludicous just to help me on my quest to try the Canada Top 100. The rest of the box could be Coors Light and I'd still consider it a win!

31. Phyl21ca

Beer Trader

Agreed plus the goal of CANBIF is to be able to share local beers around the country and by no mean is this a whale hunting exercise.

32. Ferris

Ferris Initiate (133) Apr 23, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I'll jump in again.

33. Electros

Electros Meyvn (1,021) Feb 20, 2007 Ontario (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Alright. I am in. How many are we up to?

34. Phyl21ca

Beer Trader

Over 20 participants with a good mix of people across the country.

35. BakaGaijin

BakaGaijin Disciple (335) May 20, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Whatup14 likes this.
  36. Beer_Baron123

Beer_Baron123 Initiate (131) Apr 19, 2015 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I had a great time last time, unfortunately I'm out for this round. I'll be back in the spring!

37. GJKerr

Beer Trader

Sounded like it could have been quite a boon, but alas, the terms reveal as follows:

The Offer is only valid for shipments that weigh under 5 kg. Shipments that exceed this maximum weight may incur shipping costs at CPC’s standard rates.

If anyone is shipping something below 5kg, they're not doing CANBIF right ...

38. BakaGaijin

BakaGaijin Disciple (335) May 20, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Doh! Missed that. Might be worth checking though to see if there is any sort of discount with the promo code.

39. VincentGD01

VincentGD01 Initiate (133) Jan 24, 2016 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I'm in too. This is gonna be my first CANBIF! Saw the pictures from the last thread and this seems really fun to discover products from across the country.

Coronaeus, Whatup14 and dabeerbuddha like this.
  40. Beervana

Beervana Defender (644) Apr 15, 2014 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Sorry guys, I think I've got to be out for this one. Should be up for it next Spring though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.