CANBIF: From the Cellar, 2021!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Electros, May 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electros

Electros (0) Feb 20, 2007 Canada (ON)
    Moderator Society Trader

Mark your Calendar...

I know the Spring edition has run a little late but I thought I would post a heads up that this year's edition will be forthcoming in mid-June just to keep the juices flowing.

Have a great Victoria Day weekend and be on the look out!

:wink::ok_hand::clap::beers:

darcyk and Tmappin like this.
  2. Electros

Moderator Society Trader

LET'S GET IT ON!!!

CANBIF: From the Cellar, 2021 (Round III).

This special round of this CANBIF only involves beer to be sent either from your own cellar or a specialty release that is highly cellerable.

This is a unique opportunity to dust of a bottle to be shared which you have already enjoyed and have an extra of or to pass along a cool small batch release that would age nicely.

The rules are specific. Please take care to read through and understand the rules/details of how we intend to proceed.

Please read them all in detail so there is no confusion of expectations and if you can't meet them evaluate if you should sign up.

The rules are as follows:
    • Registration is through Email/conversation sent to Electros with full address (City, Province), phone number and personal email before midnight on June 18th, 2021.
    • Please also inform me if you have regular trading partner on BA.
    • Pairing will be available by June 21st, 2021, at the lastest. Pairing consideration is given to previous participants on the basis of where they have sent and recieved in previous rounds. A balance is always tried to be struck in regards to the above and to break down of participants geographically. All are choosen at random. Also know that your target is not your sender. 1 sends to 2, 2 to 3 an so on. (1 box per participant)
    • There should be no communication between target and sender. If there is any case for concern it ahould be relayed to myself. This is a surprise of who/where your sender it shipping from. Everyone should post a likes/dislikes and preferences of styles that are your favourites. Since this is intended for a box of cellarable beers please be specific. Also if you have an untappd profile please share everything and post it!
    • You must be willing to ship between June 22nd and no later then July 12th. If there is any question that this shipping date cannot be met I would appreciate a consideration of not signing up for this round.
    • Amount of beers to be sent: Participants are expected to send 6 beers. No more, no less, 6 total... Beers sent can be of any container and volume but the total volume must be at a minimum 3000 ml. There is no max volume meaning 6 x 500 ml would meet this but if container sizes are higher or lower in ml surpassing this minimum total that is up to the generosity of each sender. The contents of the box can be local, interprovincial or international. No restrictions.
    • Swag is not required, but is optional. Once sign up is complete please post hints of styles preferences as well as dislikes... I don't like sours. :wink:
    Please let myself know if you have any questions/concerns and also maintain good communication throughout. Please check your messages!

Cheers all!!!

3. Electros

Moderator Society Trader

3 signed up. :sunglasses:

4. Electros

Moderator Society Trader

5. Electros

Moderator Society Trader

10! :nerd:

Tmappin likes this.
  6. remsad

remsad (200) Jan 29, 2018 Vermont
    Trader

I'm in!

ABeerHoarder, Tmappin and Electros like this.
  7. ABeerHoarder

ABeerHoarder (0) Oct 18, 2014 Canada (ON)

8. Electros

Moderator Society Trader

12 signed up.

9. Oleksandr_Bogachov

Oleksandr_Bogachov (0) Apr 13, 2019 Canada (ON)
    Trader

10. Teethoflions

Teethoflions (0) Nov 23, 2017 Canada (NS)

Player 14 has entered the game

ABeerHoarder, Tmappin and Electros like this.
  11. Electros

Moderator Society Trader

A reminder that this Friday at midnight is the cutoff to sign up...

Nudge, nudge. :yum::clap::beers:

12. Electros

Moderator Society Trader

I could use someore east/west coast BAs. Give me a shout and join us. :smiley:

13. kjyost

kjyost (0) May 4, 2008 Canada (MB)

Put me in. To clarify: all 6 containers are to be “highly desirable”?

I got enough but need to poke around.

Electros likes this.
  14. Electros

Moderator Society Trader

Well. This is the last day to sign up. If your on the fence give it a try. No some one to recommend it to by all means pass it along. Cheers everyone!

Pairing will land by Monday.

Too all the father's out there have a great day Sunday!

15. Electros

Moderator Society Trader

It's that time again...

HINTS AND HAULS:

Please posts your likes and dislikes style wise so your sender knows what your into.

Cheers all!

16. Electros

Moderator Society Trader

I like anything you would probably like but please no sours... love all other styles: Stouts, porters, barley/wheat/rye wines, saisons, etc. Anything new to me that I couldn't get in Ontario would be great. That is all. :grin:

17. Teethoflions

Teethoflions (0) Nov 23, 2017 Canada (NS)

I love big barrel-aged malty beers. Adjuncts welcome.

I also like barrel-aged mixed-ferm beers. Not too sour though...

Electros and Tmappin like this.
  18. Tmappin

Tmappin (0) Sep 25, 2008 Canada (NS)
    Trader

I love big stouts and barleywine, barrels and adjuncts welcome. Well made mixed ferm things are good too. I don't love crazy sour things.

I guess I could have just said same^

19. Electros

Moderator Society Trader

17!

:grin:

ON - 7
    QC - 1
    NS - 4
    MB - 2
    AB - 1
    BC - 2

Pairing coming soon.

Tmappin likes this.
  20. Electros

Moderator Society Trader

Pairing is complete. You should be getting message from myself or Phyl21ca by the end of the day.

21. tbadiuk

tbadiuk (411) Feb 9, 2009 Canada (MB)
    Trader

For cellar-able likes- the usual suspects of BA stouts and lambic. However, anything you think tastes great is fine. I'm not huge on barleywines but there have been exceptions. I'm also probably good on sours as well, unless you have something you think is really a must-try.

Electros likes this.
  22. Coronaeus

Coronaeus (1,196) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

I like most styles. I love Barleywines, barrel aged or not. Big stouts with add-junks or not and from any kind of barrel with the exception, generally, of wine barrel. If you are feeling generous, I love lambic. I’m swimming in American wild ales right now but do like those on the tamer side. The really sour Cascade, Upland type stuff just kills my gut now that I’m old. Similarly, if I never have a beer with hot peepers again, I won’t complain.

Also any of the more obscure stuff like Adambier, Olde Ales, Scotch ales etc would be opened with a smile.

Of course , whatever you think is good will be appreciated!!

Electros likes this.
  23. kjyost

I like beer. Anything I can’t easily access is welcome.
    Seriously, for cellar stuff I drink it all. Love RIS most of all along with sours & Belgians. Do enjoy barley wines & most aged things. I’m easy!

Electros likes this.
  24. remsad

Trader

Oh this will be exciting for sure!

I'm a big Barrel eged fan! Nothing with Hops or Quadrupel. It can be Stouts, Barleywine or fruited.

Let's do this!

Tmappin and Electros like this.
  25. ABeerHoarder

ABeerHoarder (0) Oct 18, 2014 Canada (ON)

I'll just copy-paste my usual. Obviously we're not talking lager or IPAs, so take from it what you will...

LIKES: Coffee in beer! Like everyone else on here, I enjoy old ales, barleywines, and BBA stouts that aren't diabetes sweet. I'd be happy with anything barrel-aged that isn't stomach-dissolvingly acidic or tastes of diacetyl. I like quads/dubels, but find tripels too spiced. Anything dry and clean. Wee Heavies. Gimmie that crazy ABV shit. Well-made or innovative mead (Schramm's, B. Nektar). Or beers that incorporate mead/wine or grape skins/must.

DISLIKES: Smoked beers. Most rum barrel-aged. Lactose in beers other than milk stout. Most spiced or fruited beer. Most recent IPAs - DIPAs are great, but not NEIPAs. I don't tend to like IPAs with a piney profile or hop burn/aggressive hopping either. As a rule, I tend to find most lagers skunky.

Electros likes this.
  26. wordemupg

wordemupg (0) Feb 11, 2009 Canada (AB)
    Society Trader

Electros likes this.
  27. Electros

Moderator Society Trader

Godspeed little tasty packages. Both have been dropped off to the hands of CP.

Hints:

I)a) Your a 6 hr 53 min (725.6 km) drive from my home town, North-East of me.

I)b) Your a 21 hr 49 min (2,124.3 km) drive from my home town, North-West of me.

kjyost and Coronaeus like this.
  28. mystery-ship

mystery-ship (50) Jun 13, 2021 Canada (BC)

First timer here.

I’m into BA/Imperial stouts, mixed culture saison, well balanced wood aged sours, and barleywine(lean towards British style).

Not particularly into enamel stripping sour beer, smoked beer, not a huge fan of lactose, but it’s not necessarily a deal break.

Cheers!

29. Oleksandr_Bogachov

Oleksandr_Bogachov (0) Apr 13, 2019 Canada (ON)
    Trader

Hey there,

Any big Stout or Porter makes me happy. Any kind of barrels or adjuncts is more than welcome. Also in malty beers. Any Barleywine/Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy makes me happy.

30. Coronaeus

Coronaeus (1,196) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

I think enough participants have posted their likes for a hint….

My target appears to like the barrel. I will endeavour to oblige….

Electros likes this.
  31. Electros

Moderator Society Trader

The two boxes I sent out should land by Friday before the end of the day.

Enjoy!

kjyost likes this.
  32. Electros

Moderator Society Trader

Hints:

II)a) Northern blue flag.

II)b) Aenomone patens, commonly known as the crocus.

kjyost likes this.
  33. remsad

Trader

For my first target really far from me, I know him already for sometime. It will be fun :slight_smile: He is speaking my language very well

Electros likes this.
  34. Electros

Moderator Society Trader

Hey all. Once you've shipped could you please message telling me or Phyl21ca, whomever emailed your target information including the carrier with code.

When your package goes out and is delivered please message us again.

Thanks!

35. wordemupg

wordemupg (0) Feb 11, 2009 Canada (AB)
    Society Trader

My first target has not yet posted likes or hints but that's ok, this ain't their first rodeo and I got the info I needed from previous CANBIF threads.........

My second target isn't getting any hints yet, what can I say? sometimes I'm just a jerk.........

Electros likes this.
  36. fiery1

fiery1 (0) Sep 16, 2015 Canada (BC)

As usual, slow to post :rolling_eyes:

Likes/dislikes... well from the cellar stuff that would have to be lambics, barrel aged stouts, old ales, saisons, barleywines, ciders, and meads. Do other things really cellar well? If it does, surprise me.

As to my target, I'll be perusing my cellar at some point this weekend to pick out treasures tailored to your likings. I may not be able to send it before my upcoming camping trip, but it'll still make it out before the July 12th deadline.

Hint: You live on a street that shares the name of a brewery nearby.

37. kjyost

It has landed!

I have been away from the forum all week so I didn't get the hints, but this one confirmed I was a 50% likely target. I will open & post pics once I figure out how to post them here again. Sigh.

remsad and Electros like this.
  38. kjyost

And for my target, as unlikely as this is that you see this (based upon your beer karma & involvement in this thread :wink: ):

I visited your province in 2017 taking this pic:
    [​IMG]

Electros likes this.
  39. kjyost

Well, I guess I will keep on being the only poster here :wink:

My box will be in the mail in the next hour as I retreat to the cottage for a long break from life. For my target: Your numerical address is the concatenation of two consecutive perfect squares. The box contains all local beer (although one is outside MB, but we consider it close enough (Minnesota :wink:. It only contains beers from two breweries in this province and one of the beers I made at one of the breweries!

As for my box, thanks @Electros !
    First off: Watermelon Big League Chew? I WIN!
    [​IMG]

Now for the beers:
    LTM Oud Bruin[​IMG]

Little Beasts Freyja. It is quite the beautiful artwork.
    [​IMG]

Arcane Ales BA Stout
    [​IMG]

Picaroons 2 BA
    [​IMG]

Bobcaygeon 2020 Haystack Wheatwine
    [​IMG]

5 Paddles Rebel Angel BA Choc Coconut Stout[​IMG]

And the beauty shot with a horribly messy background
    [​IMG]

ABeerHoarder, Coronaeus and Electros like this.
  40. Electros

Moderator Society Trader

Enjoy!:grin::clap::beers:

kjyost likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.