Canbif, Spring 2018!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Electros, Mar 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electros

Electros Meyvn (1,131) Feb 20, 2007 Ontario (Canada)

Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen of BA...

The reason for this communication is to bring you a special announcement:

The first day of spring is approaching us soon. Some places in the great white north are going back and forth from cold to warm and then back again. The weather seems to be teasing that of an early spring.

A beautiful day this week struck me with all the sights and smells that spring was around the corner and what is the best part about it?

THE CANBIF SPRING 2018 BEER TRADE!

This is an opportunity to be part of a great experience like no other for those new to trading/CANBIF and those returning alike.

Below are the rules/details of how we intend to proceed:

- Registration starts now and will end at midnight on Sunday, April 15th.

- Please start a conversation with me, Electros, here on BA mail detailing your full name, address with postal code, phone number, email, and if/who are your regular trading partners here on BA. I have retained all information on the last round and will make it my mission that returning participants will be paired with someone different then the province from the fall 2017 round.

- Target information will then be organized and sent out no later then Wednesday , April 18th.

- You must be willing to send out during the shipping window starting on Thursday, April 18th to Sunday May, 6th (weather permitting).

- Participants are expected to fill a 12 slot box. Their is no max oz levels for boxes sent. At least half of the bottles should be local. The rest can be an assortment of US/other provinces.

- Participants who have never traded through mail I would advise buying a 12 slot styro shipper which can be purchased online or at a local U-haul.

- Swag is optional and always appreciated.

- Here is some organizational information for new and returning participants on how Canbif works in regards to targets. The person you will be sending a box to will not be same person that is sending you a box back. Thus it makes it a surprise as to who and from where you'll get your box of brews. Please refrain from contacting your target.

I encourage anyone interested who is new to Canbif to search out previous rounds to get a feel of what to expect throughout each stage. It will paint a great picture of all the fun that is Canbif.

Any questions or concerns that arise please don't hesitate to contact me at any time or stage throughout Canbif.

Let's get it on!

#1 Electros, Mar 2, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  2. souvenirs

souvenirs Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)

How much do people usually spend on this? How much does postage cost?

Electros likes this.
  3. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Disciple (350) Oct 24, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)
    Trader

Really depends where you live and who you're sending to. Beer in BC costs ways more than it does in Quebec, for the most part and there exceptions of course (basing this off a trip a few years ago). Sending a box of 12 bombers to Quebec from BC is about $40 I think, might have gone up and depends on your account type.

4. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Crusader (751) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Trader

As Jonny notes, it can vary. I have spent anywhere from about $30 to up around $95 for shipping depending on the distance, weight and method of shipping chosen.

Most 12 bottle shippers can hold anywhere from 14 to 18 beers. Most participants tend to include 4-8 limited/pricier bottles in the box. Some more than that. I usually spend between $100 and $150 on the beer I think, though I don’t pay too much attention to it. It might be more. I can say that I have never been disappointed in participating.

5. jk1985

jk1985 Initiate (28) Apr 3, 2017 Nova Scotia (Canada)

Excellent! Can't wait to participate in another Canbif!

dabeerbuddha, Tmappin and Electros like this.
  6. mlegge1029

mlegge1029 Initiate (33) Oct 14, 2017 Nova Scotia (Canada)
    Trader

Im in again! Can't wait

dabeerbuddha, Tmappin and Electros like this.
  7. Tmappin

Tmappin Aspirant (252) Sep 25, 2008 Nova Scotia (Canada)
    Trader

I'm in.

dabeerbuddha and Electros like this.
  8. remsad

remsad Initiate (142) Jan 29, 2018 Quebec (Canada)
    Premium Trader

9. Electros

I am getting a great response from both new and old. Come join the fun everyone and tell your beer buddies to come online and sign up!

Tmappin and dabeerbuddha like this.
  10. CurtisD

CurtisD Disciple (385) Aug 16, 2012 New Brunswick (Canada)

Been looking forward to this, I’m certainly in again (but just for one box this time). I’ve been accumulating some great large format bottles from across the Maritimes in anticipation!

Bunman3, dabeerbuddha and Electros like this.
  11. remsad

Premium Trader

Can we go with 2 box outgoing and incoming ?

12. Phyl21ca

Phyl21ca Poo-Bah (9,115) Jun 26, 2003 Quebec (Canada)

I'm in.

13. TorontoFrank

TorontoFrank Initiate (18) Aug 28, 2017 Ontario (Canada)

Hey everyone! First time participant here, had a questions regarding 12 bottle shippers. Mainly, where can I find one. I went to 2 uhaul locations and an small indie shop and no luck.
    Shipping to Canada on the uhaul site is pretty ridiculous.

Just looking for some help from any locals who know the my best options.

dabeerbuddha likes this.
  14. Coronaeus

Trader

They aren't available anywhere in Toronto (assuming by your handle you are in Toronto), that I know of. I usually order from U-Haul or U-Line. U-Line is cheaper, but you have to order 4 boxes. U-Haul allows you to order just one I believe. It is expensive, but once you have one, especially for CANBIF, you'll usually get one in return, and not need to buy another for a good while.

souvenirs and dabeerbuddha like this.
  15. Sammy

Sammy Poo-Bah (12,940) Dec 1, 2003 Ontario (Canada)

I think switching more than just the province is better (except for Quebec - Ontario). For example, someone who dealt with the Maritimes one way should be switched with the West and vice-versa

16. darcyk

darcyk Initiate (69) Jul 15, 2014 Ontario (Canada)

I'm in - looking forward to it

17. fiery1

fiery1 Initiate (46) Sep 16, 2015 British Columbia (Canada)

If you can't find a shipper, there's always the MacGyver approach... I've seen some interesting and creative boxes. Bottles all laying down with ample padding. It takes a lot of effort to unbox(which adds to the fun) and ends up almost like Christmas morning with debris/padding/paper/plastic all over the place. I can only imagine how much effort it was to pack it. So yeah, shippers are 'easier' but there's options.

Tmappin, dabeerbuddha and Electros like this.
  18. Ferris

Ferris Initiate (63) Apr 23, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)

I'm in again

Electros likes this.
  19. Ferris

Ferris Initiate (63) Apr 23, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)

If you get really stuck and it is your first time, you can wait for your box to arrive and reship as soon as you get it. I did that my first time and have since purchased my own knowing this will be a regular thing for me.

It also gives you an idea of how to pack, although if you get a box from me you will see how not to pack and how to jam as much as possible into a box and get very lucky.

20. TorontoFrank

It might be tempting to wait for a shipper that way, but I would hate to be THAT guy who ships late. I've seen the posts, and how people salivate on their screens. I typically open presents on Christmas eve...

I'm hoping to contribute some really great selections myself. I've got a decent selection to choose from and am a big believer in karma.

And if anyone get me, farmhouse/saison styles = BOO!!. IPA and Stout = YAY!!!

dabeerbuddha, byronic and Electros like this.
  21. TorontoFrank

A box, bubble wrap, a car battery, 2 safety pins and a taxidermied turtle. Got cha.

Electros likes this.
  22. Corson

Corson Devotee (469) Jun 18, 2014 Alberta (Canada)

I'm in and looking forward to it!

dabeerbuddha, byronic and Electros like this.
  23. Electros

As right we have 20 participants signed up! Response to this round has been very positive. To all who have signed up already if you have friends here on BA that don't browse the forums regularly give them a shout and tell them Canbif is on! Cheers everyone.

dabeerbuddha likes this.
  24. iguenard

iguenard Initiate (132) Jan 30, 2006 Quebec (Canada)
    Trader

I'd be in, but I hate taxidermied turtles, so I'm out for specifically this reason.

TeemuWPG likes this.
  25. kjyost

kjyost Meyvn (1,202) May 4, 2008 Manitoba (Canada)

Well, count me in again, I do love good beer.

26. Electros

27. Erik-P

Erik-P Savant (993) Aug 19, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)

Aaaandd I'm in

28. souvenirs

souvenirs Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)

29. Coronaeus

Trader

That is it. I usually use some paper or plastic bags to get the bottles to fit snug. Also, a ziplock bag and even some silicone tape around the caps is a good.

You’ll also have some room for a few extra cans or small bottles in the central cavity once the 12 slots or full.

dabeerbuddha, souvenirs and Electros like this.
  30. Coronaeus

Trader

Also. The U-Haul box’s have slightly larger slots than the ones in the Uline boxes. I find you can even get grumblers/squealers or whatever you call small growlers in the slots of these ones. Really wide bottomed champagne size bottles may not fit.

31. Electros

3.5 weeks left to sign up!

remsad likes this.
  32. JonCorbett

JonCorbett Disciple (376) Mar 10, 2016 British Columbia (Canada)

Figured I'd let everyone know I'm in! and because the ship deadline is after I get back from Nice, France, whoever I get just might end up with something special LMAO :wink:

33. remsad

Premium Trader

I'm really excited for this event. If I need to send 2 boxes or more, I'm in also! I love beers :slight_smile:

darcyk, Corson, Tmappin and 2 others like this.
  34. darcyk

darcyk Initiate (69) Jul 15, 2014 Ontario (Canada)

LOL!! Never thought of that, but I'm totally up to do a double shipment to one person, or 2 separate shipments to 2 ppl. What a great idea!!

Don't want to make life complicated for you though, Electros :slight_smile:

Electros likes this.
  35. Electros

16 days left to sign up!

36. Electros

Apparently there have been some BA'S out there not getting notifications that they have beer mail. There have been some changes to BA including the Canada forum under the North American forum. I have sent out some messages about address updates if need be as well as messages to previous parcipants that haven't been online for a while. Message me to sign up/address changes/questions/etc. All are welcome so tell your friends. 1.5 weeks left to sign up. Getting excited! Cheers all!

#36 Electros, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    remsad likes this.
  37. kjyost

kjyost Meyvn (1,202) May 4, 2008 Manitoba (Canada)

Is Spring ever going to come?

38. remsad

Premium Trader

You have no idea!

Electros likes this.
  39. hoser

hoser Aspirant (270) Feb 17, 2003 Alberta (Canada)

Am I the only one wondering why Canada doesn’t have its’ own forum anymore?

40. Electros

I can't say I like this wither. Canada should have it own forum...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.