Canada Canbif, Spring 2018!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Electros, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Electros

Electros Meyvn (1,050) Feb 20, 2007 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

6 days left to sign up!!!

remsad likes this.
  2. allainster

allainster Initiate (127) Apr 4, 2017 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I'm in.

Electros likes this.
  3. TorontoFrank

TorontoFrank Initiate (7) Aug 28, 2017 Ontario (Canada)

my box is almost full! counting down the days until i get to pack it up!

Electros likes this.
  4. Electros

Beer Trader

I hit Wegmans this week. :grin:

Phyl21ca likes this.
  5. Electros

Beer Trader

Come one come all, only 2 days left to sign up!!!

6. MarkMcElman

MarkMcElman Initiate (120) Apr 12, 2018 New Brunswick (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Some of the boxes from the fall are a little intimidating from a keeping-up-with-the-Jones perspective (I'm looking at you, whomever sent the Cantillon). I'm going to compensate by including some live New Brunswick lobster in my box.

It's Canada Post, so what could possibly go wrong...

JonnyBeers, Electros, Bunman3 and 2 others like this.
  7. Electros

Beer Trader

Well everyone tonight at midnight is the cut off for signine up for this round...

For those that have already signed up thanks for coming and if you know of anyone that could be interested please tell.them to message me.

For all of those still yet to sign up and ate on the fence come on 0ut and join the party!

I will be working on paring as of tomorrow and will be sending out emails.asap!

Cheers all!

TorontoFrank, Erik-P and remsad like this.
  8. Electros

Beer Trader

Any BA'S from Saskatchewan, PEI, or Newfoundland or Labrador out there? :grin:

9. Electros

Beer Trader

After consideration I will extend the sign up to 5 pm tomorrow. That is when i will be home from work anyways. Othwrwise nothing else changes. To all BAs who have signed up so far again thank you for joining and to all of those on the fence... tick tock. Cheers all!

10. Electros

Beer Trader

After the sign up window closes I enourage everyone to start posting hints on likes/dislikes right away so when target messages are sent out it will be easy for senders to read there targets posting.

Tomorrow after getting home I will post as soon as possible a total tally of members signed up and the number broken down province to province.

Target notices will be sent out by midnight on the 18th at the latest but could be sent out as early as the 17th depending on the final number.

I will do my best at pairing targets taking into consideration trading partners, geographical regions, and who partipants received from in the last fall's Canbif.

Any last minute questions or concerns please don't hesitate to ask me.

Again I encourage everyone to have a look at previous forums at hints and hauls to get a better unstanding of the craziness that is going to ensue soon enough.

A big thank you to all who have/will have signed up for this round!

For all of those new to Canbif here is Spring 2017;

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/canbif-spring-2017.499222/

Fall, 2017;

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/canbif-fall-2017.540315/

CHEERS!

:wink:

11. remsad

remsad Disciple (377) Jan 29, 2018 Quebec (Canada)
    Premium Member Beer Trader

For me, I really like Barrel Aged Stouts ( whiskey, rhum, and ----> Bourbon <---- ). Sometimes, I want to seperate Stouts with other BA Sours.

I try sometime non BA Stouts.. I'm open to try it for sure!

I have a lot of BA Stouts from US and Canada, I really hope my target will have the same interest :slight_smile:

Cheers and have fun!

fiery1, Tmappin and Electros like this.
  12. TorontoFrank

TorontoFrank Initiate (7) Aug 28, 2017 Ontario (Canada)

Likes: long walks on the beach, Stouts, Porters, BA everything. Chocolate, Coffee, Vanilla.
    I like desert beers. DIPA, TIPA, Dry hopped goodness.
    I'm fully aware the Lambic style is becoming passe. If you want to offload bottles that are just taking up shelf space, I will fall on that sword.

Dislikes: Manspreading, Farmhouse, Saison, Gose, anything too light. My palette is obviously too unrefined to enjoy the subtle notes of intentionally and calculated beers such as these. I like sledgehammer beers, not so much the scalpel.

If it's made with love (or even a little bit of hate), I'm down.

I'm so excited to take part in my first beer mail!

dabeerbuddha, Tmappin and Electros like this.
  13. remsad

EDIT:

For me, I really like Barrel Aged Stouts ( whiskey, rhum, and ----> Bourbon <---- ). Sometimes, I want to seperate Stouts with other BA Sours.

I try sometime non BA Stouts.. I'm open to try it for sure!

I have a lot of BA Stouts from US and Canada, I really hope my target will have the same interest :slight_smile:

I dislike any *IPA*

Cheers and have fun!

Tmappin and Electros like this.
  14. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Crusader (728) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

A suggestion:

For tickers, or those that prefer trying things they have never had before, include where you track your beer consumption (here, Untappd, Rate Beer, etc.) along with your user name if on another site so that your sender can take a look.

15. Bunman3

Bunman3 Meyvn (1,323) Aug 7, 2014 Alberta (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I will openly admit to being a ticker - my consumption is tracked here on BA. I have no clear preference when it comes to beer. If it’s new, I’m happy to try it.

I try hard to make sure my target gets a box they will enjoy, so I definitely appreciate any hints. Cheers - I’m getting excited to finish off my box and get it in the mail! I’m headed for one last ski trip this weekend so I can gather the final pieces!

Tmappin, Electros and TorontoFrank like this.
  16. Electros

Beer Trader

Hello all. Sign up is closed. Welcome to the hints portion of Canbif. I can see we already have some likes/dislikes posted so keep them coming. I am working on pairing so keep your eyes out for emails with target information. Once received send me back a confirmation you have seen it. Cheers all!!!

17. jk1985

jk1985 Initiate (112) Apr 3, 2017 Nova Scotia (Canada)

• I appreciate just about anything made well.
    • Some of my favourite stuff at the moment would be just about anything (well made) with brett - love the funk!
    • Saison (especially featuring funk) are fun!
    • Really well made IPAs are great too
    • Big ass barely wines? Imperial stouts? Kissed by a barrel? Hell yes!
    • Do I like to tick beers? Sheepishly, yes. You can find me on Untappd as username jaymek
    Looking forward to another CANBIF!

darcyk, dabeerbuddha, Tmappin and 2 others like this.
  18. Tmappin

Tmappin Aspirant (282) Sep 25, 2008 Nova Scotia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Super excited for another round of Canbif! My first Hint for my target is: even though I have not been assigned a target you are west of me.

• I love big stouts and barley-wine, especially if they have been in a barrel and are well made.
    • I love well made IPAs --be they west coast, new england, english or what ever else mindfuck hoppy pale thing that you have near you. triple strawberry shortcake ipa??? sure!
    • I love saison, grissette or "farmhouse". I love when these styles are bretted. I love when they spend time in a barrel with other bugs or fruit or whatever.
    • I love well made lagers. Are you in Ontario and able to fill half of my box with tooth and nail pils? I would not be mad at that. Ditto if you are in BC and able to grab me some chuckanut.
    • I would love to try your local brewery's spontaneous experiments.
    • Cider and mead... also your homebrew.
    Not so much like:
    • Irish Red ale.
    • Cascadian Dark Ale/Indian Black Ale/Hoppy Black ale.

Though I would not call myself a ticker, I do enjoy trying new things, I also love returning favourites. Check me on Untapp'd: TheBeerHobo

dabeerbuddha likes this.
  19. Electros

Beer Trader

Well BAS after most of the evening spent the list is complete...

I will be sending out target information tomorrow evening.

After target information has been revived please message me back confirming you have viewed the information.

I will reiterate that your target is not the same person as your sender. It is a secret where your box is coming from and who your sending it to. There is to be no contact between senders and targets until after boxes have been delivered.

When information has been sent out I will post declaring as such. Thus after that post we will be in the hint's of likes/dislikes but also hints to your target of clues to where they might be receiving from. Have fun with it everyone!

If any problem arise please don't hesitate to contact me. Also, some have forgotten to send email and phone numbers for emergency contact. If so please send in your replay to your target information.

The numbers:

Ontario: 11
    Quebec: 5
    Nova Scotia: 5
    British Columbia: 5
    New Brunswick: 3
    Alberta: 3
    Manitoba: 2

Total: 34

With further aude; lets get it on!

Cheers everyone!

#59 Electros, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  20. Electros

Beer Trader

21. Electros

Beer Trader

All pairing information has been sent out. Please message me back so I can reconfirm target information. If you did not get an email please get back to me asap.

Cheers everyone!!!

Phyl21ca, dabeerbuddha and Tmappin like this.
  22. Bunman3

Beer Trader

Thanks for all your work in getting this organized! Looking forward to sending a box to a province I haven’t shipped to in previous BIF’s!

23. remsad

I'm eager to send my box when my guest will post ( or already posted ) his preferences :slight_smile:

dabeerbuddha and Electros like this.
  24. schnarr84

schnarr84 Zealot (569) Nov 27, 2011 Alberta (Canada)

I've been to the town my target is from. He's east of me (not hard)

I own one of top rated breweries in Canada on BA and untappd (outcast) so target will likely see some of my beer

I focus on making hop forward beer so I'd love to try your top local ipa picks. Im also a huge fan of barleywine, imperial stouts and sours that i can age. The only styles i generally stay away from (not saying I dislike) are malt forward lighter beers like browns and reds

Schnarr84 on untappd for my ticks

25. Electros

Beer Trader

Myself I am a hop head, love IPA'S of all strips and colours. I also love stouts, wheat/rye/barley wines, saisons. Anything solid I am down to try anything new or outside of reach. If your digging it i will too. The only dislike I have is sours /lambics /wild ales. I regularly updated my list of beers tried here on BA.

#65 Electros, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    dabeerbuddha and Coronaeus like this.
  26. Bunman3

Beer Trader

My target will also be receiving some Outcast - easily one of my favorite breweries in the province!

dabeerbuddha, Coronaeus and Electros like this.
  27. JonCorbett

JonCorbett Devotee (458) Mar 10, 2016 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

To my dearest trader who has me as a target.

I love big dark stouts as well as juicy fruity IPAs... But really... I will try anything - only lagers and pils are not high on my list of likes... I am currently looking for some Dogfish Head and Hudson Valley... or really anything from NY state if you happen to know of where to get some.
    I also love locals East of Alberta, so many great breweries I have never heard of from Saskatchewan eastward make some truly great brews that just aren't available outside their small geographies.

Check out my profile here and snoop my Untappd (SilverHermit) for what I've had.

:wink:

28. TeemuWPG

TeemuWPG Initiate (151) Sep 14, 2016 Manitoba (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Feel free to check out my Untappd at mdp24 to get a good idea at my ticks/likes.

I’ll sum it up in case I have a sender who doesn’t use Untappd, though.

Likes: haze/not so haze ipas, sours, unique unbarrelled stouts, farmhouse beers, interesting hefeweizens
    Dislikes: heavy barrels, pumpkin anything, any beer styles named after colours (red ales, brown ales, blonde ales, etc) and barley wines ... chances are if a bottle is waxed, you’d be better off saving it for someone who will appreciate it more

My target is east of me ... beyond that, I’ll need to do some more research :wink:

dabeerbuddha, Bunman3 and Coronaeus like this.
  29. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (6,625) Dec 25, 2006 Ontario (Canada)

Not too picky - at this point in my beer career I'll try nearly anything if you think it is worthy.

If you want to toss in one comically terrible beer that would also be OK, as those are always a riot at local tastings - ideally something that is just an awful idea like "Kettle Soured Dry-Hopped Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout with Cherries" or "Garlic Ale".

Skim my reviews and/or Untappd (same name on there) to see if I've had something before. If I loved it I don't mind drinking it again though.

I think this may be the first time I am shipping East in one of these things.

dabeerbuddha, Electros and Bunman3 like this.
  30. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Crusader (728) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Hint #1:

My target is located closer to me geographically than in any of the previous CANBIFs in which I've participated.

I like pretty much all styles. Current favorites are IPAs of all kinds, classic as well as hoppy pilsners and helles lagers, fruited Berliner weisses, "boring" English styles like ESB, Mild, brown ale etc., barleywine, old ale, and stouts and porters with coffee, vanilla, cocoa, coconut and various pastry flavours.

I like to try new beers, but am happy to receive a bottle of something I've had before if I have liked it. My beer drinking history, at least for the past several years, is recorded here. I plan to update my wants in the next day or so here; they are beers in the Canada Top 100 I have yet to try. With that said, instead of sending a 12 slot styro shipper packed with bottles and cans, my sender could send a growler of Back Hand of God and save me a trip to BC, and I'd be happy!

dabeerbuddha, Bunman3 and Electros like this.
  31. Ferris

Ferris Initiate (136) Apr 23, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I am a pretty hardcore ticker so really like anything new I haven't tried before. Sours are always nice, but lagers are not really my thing. I have up to date information on RB under the same username.

Hint 1

My target is to the east and is a newbie to this site.

32. MarkMcElman

MarkMcElman Initiate (120) Apr 12, 2018 New Brunswick (Canada)
    Beer Trader

If yeast has been carefully exposed to dissolved, malt-derived carbohydrate in an anaerobic, aqueous environment, then chances are pretty good that I will enjoy the consumption of the resultant metabolic by-products. Especially if a shit-ton of hops was added to the mash.

I am especially fond of hoppy/hazy IPAs, barley wines, and deep, dark stouts (especially when they have been exposed to an oak / boozy barrel at some point). I also dig beers that have been flavoured by the addition of fruit (or IPA that have a fruit character). In terms of saison, I prefer sour/fruity to dry/funky, but if it's funky and great, I will likely love it.

I'm somewhat of a ticker/badge hound on Untappd, and I believe my account (Mark McNB) is public. I'm am currently trying to run down 2 remaining beers for the the triple IPA badge, but these beer are elusive in my part of the world. Anything that would put me closer to a badge I don't have (gueuze, Iceland, Bazil, Portugal, etc.) would be appreciated, even if it is got a particularly great beer (I know this is messed-up, but that's where we're at, at the moment).

I am expecting shipments this week of about 20 beers from BC (Superflux, Backcountry, Twin Sails) as well as 6 from Bellwood's, all of which I will add to my list called "Cellar". Obviously no need to worry about this if you're not from BC or Toronto.

Thanks to all involved in this!

[​IMG]

#72 MarkMcElman, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  33. mlegge1029

mlegge1029 Initiate (127) Oct 14, 2017 Nova Scotia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

To my sender, I’ve been known to consume beers of all styles. I am on instagram (mike.legge) and have posted a good portion of the beers Ive enjoyed! I enjoy new beers and returning favorites!

Some of my favorite styles are fresh IPA/DIPA, farmhouse, saisons, most things BA or foudre aged, especially wine barrel, wild ales, mixed/spontaneous fermentation, I love interesting beers that have some uniqueness. I also love a good stout (regular and/or BA) every now and then. But will drink most anything that is well made!

I don’t have too many specific wants but am a huge fan of breweries such as Anchorage, Jester King, Auval (if I had to pick favorites these would be top 3), anything from those places would be amazing obviously. Have not had much from the US in the way of hops. Also have not tried much from our West Coast (BC specifically) and would love the chance to try some brews from there!

The only styles I typically don’t enjoy are anything Pumpkin, heavily spiced beers (cinnamon, nutmeg etc.), hefeweizen, anything smoked, black IPA’s, and beers heavy with lactose (Milkshark being the exception). But I’m open if you have one that you think is a must try!

The big thing for me is to try beers I can’t get around here and that are interesting. Odds are if you like it I will!

My target is located west of me and has yet to post. But they will be received a box stocked with interesting Nova Scotia and maritime brews, and maybe some US goodies if my work travel plans go through! Looking forward to seeing my targets likes/dislikes so I can start picking out beers for you!

remsad, dabeerbuddha and Electros like this.
  34. schnarr84

schnarr84 Zealot (569) Nov 27, 2011 Alberta (Canada)

awesome! not sure if youre in calgary or edmonton, but my new breakfast stout - super limited - with modern times bourbon barrel aged coffee in it will be at sherbrooke and brewers apprentice if you want to send a crowler. both will have it friday.

canning a new stout as well, same base beer as the breakfast stout but with vanilla, hazelnut and chocolate added in 2 weeks, so close to the cutoff

35. CraigWilson506

CraigWilson506 Initiate (115) Apr 15, 2018 New Brunswick (Canada)

To my sender - I generally tend towards the high ABV beers, but I'm really a fan of any style as long as the beer is made well. Local breweries that don't export very far abroad, or seasonals that don't get widely circulated are both perfect. My Untappd name is CraigWilson506.

To my target - I found you in the previous bottle share and saw your Untapped. How's that for cyberstalking. Anyway, I think I got you covered - we appear to have similar tastes.

dabeerbuddha likes this.
  36. fiery1

fiery1 Initiate (36) Sep 16, 2015 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

To my sender: I am a ticker, so generally anything new. Of course my tastes sway towards sours and stouts while staying away from lagers and piney bitter brews(NE IPAs always welcome).
    I'm on both untappd and RB, though untappd is more complete.

Hint 1: My target is <big surprise> east of me! Additionally they are also relatively new to the site.
    So welcome to you!

dabeerbuddha likes this.
  37. Electros

Beer Trader

I just noticed a mistake on the numbers, so here is real tally:

Ontario: 11
    Quebec: 6
    Nova Scotia: 5
    British Columbia: 5
    New Brunswick: 3
    Alberta: 4
    Manitoba: 2

Total: 36

Cheers everyone!

#77 Electros, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    dabeerbuddha likes this.
  38. GRM

GRM Initiate (19) May 10, 2008 Quebec (Canada)

First thing first: big thanks to Electros for taking care of this CANBIF!
    Organizing such things is always time consuming.

To my target: I will try very hard to make you happy. Of course, I will go through what you have on your favorite beer site so as to send you some stuff from part of the world. I am just hoping that you do not have 10,000 beers ticked!

To my Santa Claus: by far my favorite style is imperial stout. I also enjoy stouts, porters, IPAs, Belgians, barley wines. Not a fan of sours, except for Flanders Red. I have to mention though that sours make outstanding beer muffins. Obviously, just like everyone, I would like to see Toppling Goliaths in the box! But I will be almost as happy with beers from your area that are difficult to get my hands on in GatineauÔttawa. My beers are listed on RateBeer also under GRM (I could even send you an Excel list if you want. If you are interested, let Electros know and I will pass it to him.)

dabeerbuddha, remsad and Electros like this.
  39. Erik-P

Erik-P Meyvn (1,044) Aug 19, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

yes big ups to @Electros for the organizing!!

to my sender, im pretty open as long as its well made beer. probably lean more towards IPAs, pales, stouts, barrel aged, sours. Always looking to try new things and i track on untappd (username: mrdmbond).

to my target, you better post some info here! otherwise its gonna be a case full of Duff, Duff Lite and NEW Duff Dry!

Bunman3, remsad and Electros like this.
  40. CraigWilson506

CraigWilson506 Initiate (115) Apr 15, 2018 New Brunswick (Canada)

*Correction - my untappd user name is Craig506. Too many on-line accounts with too many similar names!

Electros likes this.