Cantillon and Drie Fonteinen in Japan

Discussion in 'Rest of the World' started by rodmanfor3, Jan 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rodmanfor3

rodmanfor3 Savant (931) Aug 11, 2014 Vermont
    Trader

I will be taking a trip to Japan in a couple of months and was wondering if there are any stores where I might be able to pick up non-shelf Cantillon or Drie Fonteinen bottles. Also, are there any bars where I might be able to taste some rare lambics?

My trip takes me all across the main island. Any information would be appreciated.

2. amano_h

amano_h Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2014 Oregon

Japan enjoys limited intermittent shipments of non-shelf Cantillon, which from my experience are either hoarded by vintage wine stores (and later sold online) or stay on the shelves of specialty bottle stores like Tanakaya (Meijiro) or Hasegawa Liquors (Yaesu Underground Shopping Plaza) in Tokyo or Asahiya (Taishibashi Imaichi) in Osaka.

I've personally never been able to score a non-shelf Cantillon from any of my visits, but I've seen it pop-up on online retailers whom still list the products albeit with the note that it's now "SOLD OUT"

Good luck, and I'm sorry I wasn't able to be of more help.

rodmanfor3 likes this.
  3. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,201) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Tanakaya always seems to have the standard lineup of Cantillon (Gambrinus, Classic Geuzue, Kriek) at very reasonable prices. There's also a Belgian beer bar in Namba Station in Osaka that always has them as well. Never seen anything more elusive over there, though.

rodmanfor3 likes this.
  4. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,201) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Also, there's a fantastic Japanese craft beer scene, don't miss out by only looking for lambic.

rodmanfor3 likes this.
  5. amano_h

amano_h Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2014 Oregon

I've seen Japanese people trade with people back in the States, but I'm not sure if there's a vibrant trading scene resembling what we have in the states with BA, RB, etc. Usually what I end up seeing is Japanese people going on beercation, bringing back a few brews and sharing with their friends at a bar like Pigalle (in Setagaya, Tokyo) or Camden East (in Ikebukuro, Tokyo)

There's an American dude that does this regularly, he goes by the handle @beercation on instagram and RB. Not sure if the beercation on BA is the same dude, but if you scroll through his pics you'll see him out sharing some whalez with the local drinkers at places like Mikkeller Bar Tokyo, etc.

I'll do you one better, Atsugi Brewing Company in Atsugi, Kanagawa also brew a half-decent lambic!

rodmanfor3 likes this.
  6. Viking84

Viking84 Initiate (47) Dec 19, 2015 Hawaii

I'll be relocating to Tokyo mid-March - planning on taking as much of my cellar with me as possible and would be down for a trade/share/grabbing a pint. I should have some BA Minoh waiting for me at my in-laws house unless it's already been imbibed.

rodmanfor3 likes this.
  7. nerdboy19

nerdboy19 Aspirant (253) Sep 20, 2015 Korea (South)
    Trader

There aren't much special Cantillon & 3Fonteinen in Japan... They have some other lambics available though. Like Tilquin(Gueuze, two kinds of prune lambic), Boon standard and mariage parfait. Some saisons like Fantome.. and much more other Belgian beers! I don't know what you can get in Vermont, but I recommend you to visit "World Beer Market(Tokyo)", "Tanakaya(Tokyo)", "Ayahiya(Osaka)", "Beer Inn(Sapporo)" or other great bottle shops/pubs.

rodmanfor3 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.