1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Cape May, NJ?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by BeastOfTheNortheast, Apr 8, 2019.

1. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Disciple (343) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

I am going to Cape May soon and would like suggestions on the best place there to get beer to bring back home with me. Also, any suggestions on any new breweries to hit up would be good too.

2. YamBag

YamBag Initiate (166) Feb 2, 2007 Pennsylvania

I've had luck getting Kane and Carton at the Joe Canals in Rio Grande, but the Joe Canals in CM does not have a great selection. Collier and Sunset liquors have a good selection, just make sure to check dates. If you want good draft selection, checkout Lucky Bones.

3. BeastOfTheNortheast

Thanks. Been to Colliers. How's Joe Canals in Rio Grande compared to it?

4. YamBag

Colliers has more selection, but I found fresher options at Joe Canal, plus it's on the way to CM and right off the Garden State. I was down this past weekend and had CM Bounding Main and it's a nice ipa

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  5. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,329) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Colliers is way too expensive. Stick with Joe Canals.

Hit the breweries down there, lots of great ones up and running. Cape May has a nice selection of cans to go.

6. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (3,251) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Brewery-wise, I'd recommend Slack Tide in Clermont and Coho in Cape May Court House, in addition to Cape May Brewing.

7. RobNewton

RobNewton Defender (601) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

+1 to Sunset. I scooped up plenty of fresh head high last time I was out that way!

8. BeastOfTheNortheast

Thanks. Always thought Colliers was expensive too since the prices were right up there with PA prices. Will try Joe Canals.

Kadonny likes this.
  9. ericwo

ericwo Initiate (89) Aug 21, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I assume you know about Cape May Brewing.

10. BeastOfTheNortheast

You already know!

11. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (876) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Cold Spring Brewery is good also.

12. Kadonny

Trader

Really? With all due respect, I thought their beer was horrible. Couple that with the whole plastic cup thing and I'll probably never go there again.

My brewery favorites down there are Cape May and Mud Hen. There is a new one I heard good things about near North Wildwood called Coho and Seven Mile is ok. Also, a really new one in North Cape May is called Gusto....heard that was good too.

13. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (876) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

To each their own I guess.

tzieser likes this.
  14. BeastOfTheNortheast

How is the food at Mud Hen? My wife wants to go for lunch and of course I'm all about it since she typically doesn't like going to breweries because she doesn't drink. I saw they have cans too. Might have to pick some up.

Kadonny likes this.
  15. BeastOfTheNortheast

I lied. They have crowlers. Thought they were cans.

16. Kadonny

Trader

Food is really good and some of their stuff is awesome. Well worth the trip and the place is beautiful. They spent a ton of cash there.

17. YamBag

Have you tried Slack Tide. I pass the sign all the time, but have yet to stop in

18. BeastOfTheNortheast

I have not been there, but have had their Bell Buoy on tap at a bar in Cape May. I really enjoyed it as did the others who I was with.

19. Kadonny

Trader

Yeah, I've been there twice I think. Their beer was good, but nothing that keeps me coming back, plus it's a little bit of a drive for us to get there.

I've pretty much hit all of them down there except Bucket Brigade, but I'll get there for sure this summer. Like I said, we keep going back to Cape May Brewing because their stuff is so good, especially in the summer with Follow the Gull, Summer Catch and a bunch of other summer offerings. Those plus their solid everyday line up makes it never a disappointment to go there. Cape May IPA is a go to for me. We keep going back to Mud Hen too becuase it's so close. Mud Hens beer is solid, but not spectacular but their great food makes it a great place to visit.

I'll be really interesting in trying the new ones in CoHo and Gusto. I got lots of beer "to do's" this summer, rainy days will be booked.

PS: If anyone is a wine guy, I can point you to an awesome winery in North Cape May really near to Gusto. That little block of about a mile in North Cape May now has Gusto, an awesome winery and an awesome spirits place (Nauti), and you can probably walk to all three if you really wanted to.

20. YamBag

Thank you for the feedback.

Kadonny likes this.
  21. BeastOfTheNortheast

Came across some Glasstown BC stuff while down here. Have had the 609 IPA and Danky Jr. IPA so far. Also picked up the 856 DIPA, but haven't tried it yet. Ratings suggest that 856 should be the best of the 3. The first two were really good and I'm surprised I haven't heard more about this brewery. If you get a chance, check them out.

TongoRad likes this.
  22. wise456

wise456 Initiate (148) May 6, 2006 New Jersey
    Society

I spend way too much of my time (and money) in Cape May county breweries and here is the current rundown of brewery affairs in my opinion.

The best beer being offered at the bottom of our state is by Gusto and Ludlam. Both are small, really nano-breweries, but everything they offer is solid. Cape May Brewing has the best tasting room in NJ and they put out so many different styles and releases that some of them are bound to be mediocre. However, you will definitely find some beers you like on their board, and they usually have some interesting cans or bottles to bring home such as their excellent barrel-aged sours. There is a great taco shop next door and it is less than a five minute drive to Gusto. Next best is probably Glasstown but they are forty minutes away in Millville which is technically Cumberland County.

The second tier consists of Slack Tide (don't miss any Belgian styles they might be offering), 7 Mile (decent IPAs and a great smoked porter) and Bucket Brigade. All three make decent beer and their taprooms are friendly places to spend a couple of hours, although Slack Tide is kinda small.

Next comes Coho which just opened two months ago and I am sure they will get their act together, but for now, hit the other places first. Last and definitely least is Cold Spring Brewery which has a unique setting in an antique barn but the stuff has not been even remotely drinkable over the past year. Their beer was perfectly mediocre until last year but they have either a water problem or are using inferior ingredients. Take the kids to the historical village next door but other than a quick look around, the brewery is a hard pass until they get things straightened out.

Kadonny and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  23. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,902) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Have you ever visited Mud Hen? If not, why not? If so, what do you think of their beers?

Cheers!

24. wise456

wise456 Initiate (148) May 6, 2006 New Jersey
    Society

For some reason, every time we go to Wildwood we end up at Goodnight Irene's which has the best tap list on the island and good food to boot. I always thought that Mud Hen was primarily a brewpub but I just checked their website and they now have a full lineup. Will have to pay them a visit this weekend.

25. BeastOfTheNortheast

Keep me in the loop @wise456 - will be back in July for a week.

wise456 likes this.
  26. Kadonny

Trader

I"m in agreement with you on most your opinions, I'm really looking forward to Gusto since it was not opened last summer, hell I still remember the movie theater that was in that building.

Anyway, nice write up I think we are both on the same vibe.

You'll enjoy it, been there many times. The tap list is solid but unspectacular. Their best beer IMO is the DIPA. Good food, great facility, overall enjoyable.

wise456 and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  27. BeastOfTheNortheast

Now I'm upset we didn't go to Gusto. Will make it a point to go there in July. I've said it before and I'll say it again - if you're at a bar or shop and they have anything from Glasstown, give it a try. You will not be disappointed.

Kadonny likes this.
  28. Kadonny

Trader

I'll look for their stuff this summer, I get to a bunch of bottle shops during the season. They are packaging, correct?

29. BeastOfTheNortheast

Yes. The Joe Canals in Cape May had 4-5 different cans from them (3-4 different IPAs and a Brown Ale).

Kadonny likes this.
  30. Kadonny

Trader

Thanks, never been in that one since it's fairly new, but I can make a run out there. I'll also check Rio Grande Joe's as that's where I normally go for good beer other than my mainstay Greens in Wildwood.

31. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,300) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I went to Mud Hen in August. Got a flight and thought everything was Meh at best. I was in vacation mode and wanted to love it. I didn't. The food was good though

Anyone in Wildwood should go to Maui Dogs. Second best hot dogs in the state. Behind Ruts Hut of course