1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.
Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Carboard vs. Styrofoam Shippers

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by gory4d, Oct 11, 2013.

1. gory4d

gory4d Apr 14, 2007 New York
    Beer Trader

I'm working on an international trade that would involve my shipping to Europe, and need to get a good wine-shipper box. I have used styrofoam ones in the past and they've worked fine. Has anybody used cardboard shippers, such as the one sold by the Spirited Shipper? What do you think would be the best bet?

2. Greenplastic615

Greenplastic615 Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I think styro-shippers are the best bet, but the spirited shipper ones are nice and I've never had any problems shipping domestically with them. I think for international, I'd want 'dat foam though.

3. eyeenjoybeer

eyeenjoybeer Feb 18, 2011 Seychelles

I think the cardboard shippers, while considerably heavier, are much sturdier. They have double-double wall cardboard protection on the outside, not including the wrapping you place around each bottle. You can also stuff material above and below to further reinforce those areas, which are already pretty secure. I prefer the cardboard for more valuable shipments.

4. mrcraft

mrcraft Dec 15, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I've used both types of shippers, and both worked fine. I also add a layer of bubble wrap to each bottle so everything fits snug either way. I'm not sure if one is better than the other.

5. nicks6217

nicks6217 Jan 15, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

I've used both with out any problems domestically but I'd be more at ease going styrofoam internationally.

Not related but I had an international trade come in today with a broken 3f OGV 06, point being if you have reservations then go with what seems safer. nobody wants to be on that end of a trade.

6. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Apr 9, 2009 Vermont
    Beer Trader

NO

7. nicks6217

nicks6217 Jan 15, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Had 2 coming in. ;)

8. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Mar 19, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I personally prefer the double walled cardboard boxes with egg crate inserts for horizontal storage. Each bottle bubble wrapped, in it's own individual ziplock bag, placed in its cradle. Never had an issue.

mrcraft likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe