Carton Brewing (2019)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by SammyJaxxxx, Jan 2, 2019.

1. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,316) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Society Trader

To help find their beer, outside their brewery (they have their own tap room, where you can buy, drink, and fill growlers), use the following link:

http://cartonbrewing.com/find-our-beer/

More info from their website

http://cartonbrewing.com/

Tasting room availability is posted on Facebook on Wednesday and Saturday before the sessions begin.

https://www.facebook.com/cartonbrewing/

Special releases: When there are new cans we set up a table downstairs for efficiency, but outside of those first couple days they are upstairs in the tap room, which is staffed by really nice people.

Carton Swag: Looking for Carton branded apparel, glassware, hats, gift cards, etc? Check out this link:

https://squareup.com/market/carton-brewing

Nice pics on their instagram feed:

https://www.instagram.com/cartonbrewing/

Post away and yes, Augie, @augiecarton, monitors this thread and will respond to your questions and comments.

FAQ

To enhance the Carton brewery experience, the following local food recommendations have been suggested.

http://www.kunyasiam.com/ basicly across the street and BYO, very good thai that a growler of Dub rounds out nicely

http://www.thecoppercanyon.com/serious level southwestern versions of jersy restaurant food the place we make Carton Canyon for

https://www.beermenus.com/places/19405-gaslight
    owned by the copper canyon guys dependably aspirational pub grub good craft list

http://www.ahwinebar.com/restaurant/proper NJ bar with boat on tap

http://www.christinesitaliandining.com/small place proper restaurant Italian BYOB

https://www.fairmountaincoffee.com/ certified organic coffee company

these are just the one's on our street and just the highlights at that there are also 2 pizza places, 2 delis a good bagel shop and a proper diner

there's also great Mexican place and a couple more pubs like chubby pickle in highlands. bahr's/mobys which we make wit whale for is classic shore seafood and 2 of the 4 places doing that right there

Another place to go is TSTBBQ - Texas Style BBQ with a New Jersey attitude, in Leonardo, NJ.

It's attached to a mini-golf place so lots of fun too.

2 lights north on 36. take out or eat in.

http://www.tstbbq.com/

best bet is tell the tasting room servers what your'e in the mood for and how far you'r comfortable traveling and they will guide you well

How to get to Carton (The BOAT STORY)

The boat from the city:
    On weekdays the Atlantic Highlands stop on Seastreak ferry is 5 blocks straight down 1st Ave (.4 miles 8 minutes walk on Google maps)

On weekends there is a shuttle waiting at the Connors Highlands stop on the ferry that will run you over to the Atlantic Highlands stop (if you are nice to the driver they very well may drop you at Carton as you pass)

OR you can take the ferry to Connors Highlands, walk down Shore Drive to Kranky Cyclesand rent a bike (.3 miles-6minute walk on Google maps) and rent a bike. They have motorized and regular cruisers which can be peddled down the Henry Hudson bike path to Carton (2.9 miles 15 minute peddle according to Google maps) as well as out Sandy Hook for some beach time with stops at any of our local seafood shacks along the way.

Finally

Check out the following:

https://www.amazon.com/Dishing-Up®-New-Jersey-Recipes/dp/1612126669/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

the foreword was written by Augie :slight_smile:

2. SammyJaxxxx

Society Trader

I can't believe that a Yale Terrace thread was started for 2019 but not one for Carton or Kane. WTF? ? ?

By the way this was released today

And this

3. Dreamer57

Dreamer57 Initiate (144) Apr 13, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Regular Coffee in Nitro is amazing. So smooth abd creamy. Makes it so wasy to drink, gotta be careful!

4. J5ryall

J5ryall Initiate (68) Aug 5, 2015 New Jersey

I was disappointed to see this in Nitro only. I do not like Nitro beers at all; would have thought and hoped they would have done the Nitro version as a variant. Oh well.

I did crack a 2016 regular coffee recently and it was interesting. A lot of the sweetness was gone but some of the coffee remained. But it was still amazingly drinkable and no alcohol taste at all

5. gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy Initiate (123) Jun 1, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

There was a Carton 2019 thread but it disappeared shortly after it was posted. Not sure why. Edit: now I see all monthly threads are annual in 2019. Explains the disappearance.

Anyway I’m really hoping Regular Coffee makes distro. With an infant it’s getting really difficult to slip away for the 3 hour round trip. A nitro version sounds interesting and I bet plays well with this beer.

Mrstiffington and srw like this.
  6. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,041) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

It made distro last year, I don't see why it would be any different this year

EDIT: per Carton's instagram, "TBD".....hope it makes it to the weekend so i can make the drive up =\

#6 tzieser, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    gardenstatepkwy likes this.
  7. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (1,862) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I wonder if irregular / variants will be nitro...

tzieser likes this.
  8. kthoag

kthoag Aspirant (292) May 21, 2012 New York
    Trader

They could in theory still do non-nitro Regular.

Does the mug have cork on the bottom or are my eyes broken? Also, read somewhere the coffee's gone.

9. jake92691

jake92691 Initiate (64) Nov 25, 2014 New Jersey

The mug does have cork at the bottom and the coffee beans were sold out when I got there around 2:30 yesterday.

kthoag likes this.
  10. TheGent

Society Trader

True.

One comment in IG lead me to believe they wouldn’t, when someone asked if they would do the original Regular Coffee and Carton responded that this is the original Regular Coffee, but conditioned on Nitro instead of CO2.

I’m thinking the cork is a coaster?

11. Dreamer57

Trader

Cork bit is the bottom of the mug

coffee was sold out in less than half hour, think i overheard there were only like 20 bags

12. Dreamer57

Trader

Looks like beans are available on their online store

Fishingforbeers likes this.
  13. RobHB

RobHB Initiate (79) Aug 20, 2017 New Jersey

Stopped in yesterday with a bunch of friends and snagged some Nitro Coffee and This Town...because I'll always grab some This Town when I visit Carton. The beer that took my by surprise; however, was Aug 2, their take on a Belgian Dubbel. That is a delicious beer.

14. mumbles44

mumbles44 Initiate (195) Jan 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

availability at brewery status check?

15. augiecarton

augiecarton Initiate (183) Oct 22, 2010 New Jersey
    Industry

come on man.. there's tons never sweat our stuff

TheGent, Davedeath, eloGoat and 6 others like this.
  16. mumbles44

Trader

:slight_smile:

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  17. bostonbro5

bostonbro5 Initiate (40) Jan 6, 2011 New Jersey
    Trader

Anyone going down there soonish who lives near union county? Looking for that coffee mug.

18. srw

srw Zealot (564) Mar 25, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Any word on if regular coffee is going to hit distro? I might head up Sat hoping for some to remain along with a variant anyway but I'm still curious

19. RobHB

RobHB Initiate (79) Aug 20, 2017 New Jersey

Did a batch of unfiltered This Town make into cans? The beer poured hazy and not clear like the batch I snagged in August. I say this not as a complaint at all. I think I may like it a little better, feature not a bug and all.

(Side note, one of my favorite pilsners from last year was an unfiltered pilsner)

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  20. SammyJaxxxx

Society Trader

I'm drinking week old O'dub that I bought here in Bergen County. Not a bad start to 19.
    Thank you Carton

Xerlic, MacMalt, TheGent and 4 others like this.
  21. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (3,406) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Stopped by the brewery today for Nitro Reg Coffee and Superegoipa cans. While I'm not usually a big fan of beer on nitro I think it helps the Regular Coffee because the creaminess simulates drinking real coffee. The smell and taste are similar but the feel is better than the original.

SammyJaxxxx, frozyn, srw and 2 others like this.
  22. srw

srw Zealot (564) Mar 25, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

I stopped by today as well and grabbed some. I am not usually a fan of nitro beers either, but I agree that it works great for regular coffee and makes it creamier. Wish I had some of the non nitro to try then side to side though. Still a fantastic beer and I'm happy to have plenty to drink until next year.

MacMalt likes this.
  23. Mrstiffington

Mrstiffington Initiate (87) Jun 8, 2018 New Jersey
    Trader

Digging my second to last Epitome while rooting against the Cowboys here. Still tasting great.

MacMalt, SammyJaxxxx and TheGent like this.
  24. TheGent

Society Trader

Two of my favorite things right there. Cheers.

MacMalt and Mrstiffington like this.
  25. TheGent

Society Trader

The beer always had a certain creaminess to it.

I’m really looking forward to trying this version and seeing the difference.

Mrstiffington and MacMalt like this.
  26. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (3,406) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I think you'll like it. I don't always like nitro but it works with Regular Coffee. Cheers!

Mrstiffington and TheGent like this.
  27. tzieser

Trader

I sucked it up and made the 3 hour round trip to Carton. I’m still cautiously optimistic it’ll get distributed but it was well worth the trip up. I got 3 four packs of Coffee, plus a mug and some Aug 2.

I really want to try these so badly but I’m taking another one of those stupid January alcohol breaks. So much for trying to save some cash, especially with the irregular releases that are sure to follow:laughing:. Also kicking myself a bit for not getting some Sam 1. Definitely gonna grab some more This Town next time, hopefully there will still be some left for that future Irregular release. Keep up the great work guys!

28. TheGent

Society Trader

Me too man. Why?!

This will be the second beer I drink come Friday, February 1, after I crush a Boat, of course!

29. tzieser

Trader

Haha, same here. The next trip up is going to be even worse....especially if St. Kitts Coffee or Cafe y Churro makes a comeback in January:confounded:

30. mumbles44

Trader

did Regular coffee last the weekend?

Also in for sober january.. man this is just not fun!

Mrstiffington and TheGent like this.
  31. Mrstiffington

Mrstiffington Initiate (87) Jun 8, 2018 New Jersey
    Trader

Man all you guys doing sober January! All those NFL playoff games to watch! February is the month. Nice and short. Not that I give up February either...

#31 Mrstiffington, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  32. tzieser

Trader

When I left ~2PM there was plenty left in the fridge. Plus, Augie said 'no sweat' last week so I'm sure there's still more than enough to go around.

And yes, this does indeed suck. Especially trying to stay away from beer sites whilst also trying to stay in tune with Carton for future releases (Carton's winter releases are probably my favorite of any brewery in the state). To make it worse I was up in MA visiting family for my birthday (new years eve) and I stocked up on a bunch of Trillium, Foley Brothers, Night Shift, etc.....now they're all just sitting there, staring at me every time I open the fridge. Pretty stupid on my part.

DEdesings57 and Mrstiffington like this.
  33. mumbles44

Trader

much props for being able to stare at all of that in your fridge!!

I made sure to drink thorough most of it in December so i do not have that at me.

Mrstiffington, TheGent and tzieser like this.
  34. tzieser

Trader

Yeah, I fucked up there, too. When I woke up on 1/1/19 I decided to quit, then I thought this past weekend "Damn, the Patriots are about as beatable as they've ever been in the past two decades. I'm gonna need lots and LOTS of alcohol to make it through this post-seas.....oh wait, I'm abstaining.":rage:

I guess the bright side is if they somehow make it to February again I'll have a lot more to drink:smile:

Thanks! I tried my best to do just that but I drink a bottle of Apple Brady Driftwood to my dome and it ended my evening early morning a bit earlier than I intended

Mrstiffington likes this.
  35. TheGent

Society Trader

I was hurting yesterday. Between the games and several hours cooking in the kitchen (two prime beer drinking activities for me) I was certainly missing it!

tzieser and Mrstiffington like this.
  36. augiecarton

augiecarton Initiate (183) Oct 22, 2010 New Jersey
    Industry

Our friend Jin reached out to us this weekend to ask about deformed Regular Coffee Nitro cans. So we did a series of tests Saturday and some follow up extreme tests this morning. Some cans (3 of 48 tested) were over-pressurized. Not enough pressure to be dangerous but enough to deform a can.

We think that during one of the constant tweaks to the canning line's nitro doser, the tech adjusted it outside of the range for a 12oz. can, to a level intended for 16oz. cans.

The beer is as it should be. It will actually probably hold longer and cascade more beautifully when poured. The higher pressure isn’t enough to compromise the can’s seals, but the cans may misshape. We believe we have isolated the affected cans and pulled them from the stacks as of Sunday morning, but Jin is evidence that some are out there in the wilds of NJ.

If you have “popped up” Nitro Coffee cans and want a perfectly can-shaped cans, we totally understand and want to make it right. Please bring them back to Carton next time you are by, and we will exchange them for some cans we are holding for this purpose. If you aren’t bothered and drink from a deformed can, bring the empty in on your next visit, and your first Boat is on us. If getting to Carton is not convenient in your near future, shoot an email to info@cartonbrewing.com and we will sort something out

37. SammyJaxxxx

Society Trader

I will be glad to take all of the "bad" cans off your hands and make sure that they are properly disposed of.

38. tzieser

Trader

Oh man, I can't wait for this years Irregular release(s). I wonder what (if any) the new addition will be? Will they be in nitro now? So many questions!

I'd just be happy finally get my hands on some packs Irish Coffee and St. Kitts Coffee as I've only had singles of them. I'd be more than happy with Kaffe und Kuchen and Cafe y Churro again though. Haven't tried Cafe Corretto yet but I'm not a big licorice fan...However, I would buy some anyway because Carton does flavors right.

EDIT: Also, I caught a peek of one of those approved labels for a Coffee Dopplebock...hold still my beating heart

#38 tzieser, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  39. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Devotee (499) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

Dude that sucks because Trillium falls off fast! But much respect to you for your dry January!

40. tzieser

Trader

Thanks, man! Yeah, I agree their hoppy beers do fall off quick. Luckily, they had a great selection of non-hoppy beers: Day & Night (blonde barleywine w/ coffee....very similar to Regular Coffee, tbh), Cacao Day & Night, Pom Pom Milk Stout, Permutation 72 Pale Lager (yum) and a bottle of cacao, vanilla & chile Day & Night.

The Mosaic Fort Point, A Street, DDH Sleeper, DDH Melcher are all probably shadows of their former selves now though.