Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...

Carton Brewing (May 2017)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by NiceBeerCans, May 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Aspirant (208) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

To help find their beer, outside their brewery (they have their own tap room, where you can buy, drink, and fill growlers), use the following link:

http://cartonbrewing.com/find-our-beer/

More info from their website

http://cartonbrewing.com/

Tasting room availability is posted on Facebook on Wednesday and Saturday before the sessions begin.

https://www.facebook.com/cartonbrewing/

Special releases: When there are new cans we set up a table downstairs for efficiency, but outside of those first couple days they are upstairs in the tap room, which is staffed by really nice people.

Carton Swag: Looking for Carton branded apparel, glassware, hats, gift cards, etc? Check out this link:

https://squareup.com/market/carton-brewing

Nice pics on their instagram feed:

https://www.instagram.com/cartonbrewing/

Post away and yes, Augie, @augiecarton, monitors this thread and will respond to your questions and comments.

FAQ

To enhance the Carton brewery experience, the following local food recommendations have been suggested.

http://www.kunyasiam.com/ basicly across the street and BYO, very good thai that a growler of Dub rounds out nicely

http://www.thecoppercanyon.com/ serious level southwestern versions of jersy restaurant food the place we make Carton Canyon for

https://www.beermenus.com/places/19405-gaslight
    owned by the copper canyon guys dependably aspirational pub grub good craft list

http://www.ahwinebar.com/restaurant/ proper NJ bar with boat on tap

http://www.christinesitaliandining.com/ small place proper restaurant Italian BYOB

these are just the one's on our street and just the highlights at that there are also 2 pizza places, 2 delis a good bagel shop and a proper diner

there's also great Mexican place and a couple more pubs like chubby pickle in highlands. bahr's/mobys which we make wit whale for is classic shore seafood and 2 of the 4 places doing that right there

best bet is tell the tasting room servers what your'e in the mood for and how far you'r comfortable traveling and they will guide you well

How to get to Carton (The BOAT STORY)

The boat from the city:
    On weekdays the Atlantic Highlands stop on Seastreak ferry is 5 blocks straight down 1st Ave (.4 miles 8 minutes walk on Google maps)

On weekends there is a shuttle waiting at the Connors Highlands stop on the ferry that will run you over to the Atlantic Highlands stop (if you are nice to the driver they very well may drop you at Carton as you pass)

OR you can take the ferry to Connors Highlands, walk down Shore Drive to Kranky Cycles and rent a bike (.3 miles-6minute walk on Google maps) and rent a bike. They have motorized and regular cruisers which can be peddled down the Henry Hudson bike path to Carton (2.9 miles 15 minute peddle according to Google maps) as well as out Sandy Hook for some beach time with stops at any of our local seafood shacks along the way.

Finally

Check out the following:

https://www.amazon.com/Dishing-Up®-New-Jersey-Recipes/dp/1612126669/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

the foreword was written by Augie :slight_smile:

2. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Crusader (737) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

32oz capped and waxed growlers of Hángjú added

MikeCooke and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  3. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (1,739) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Looking ward to it. I love a good Saison

4. mumbles44

mumbles44 Initiate (132) Jan 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

any word on pricing? didnt see on beermenus

5. M-Fox24

Subscriber Beer Trader

6. M-Fox24

Subscriber Beer Trader

Just Added

mumbles44 likes this.
  7. SammyJaxxxx

Beer Trader

8. SammyJaxxxx

Beer Trader

9. SammyJaxxxx

Beer Trader

10. kthoag

kthoag Disciple (312) May 21, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Canyon is an awesome beer.

11. Xerlic

Xerlic Initiate (147) Aug 26, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

I found a random 4 pack of S.S-Cream at a local shop. I was super tempted to pick it up, but I'm assuming the hops are all but obliterated by now. Any idea on what it would taste like? The cans were dated Jan 2016.

12. kthoag

Beer Trader

Anybody try Hangju yet?

13. Megamanmmx

Megamanmmx Initiate (27) Jun 17, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I had my last of these about a month ago. The hops have definitely faded, but it was still really tasty. It had a sweet strawberry mint thing going on that wasn't where I would have expected it to go. Enjoyable but very different than when it was fresh. It's been in the fridge since I purchased it though, not sure how it's been stored at your local shop.

Xerlic and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  14. Dreamer57

Dreamer57 Initiate (199) Apr 13, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I enjoyed it. Would be nice outside in a warm day

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  15. beertoro

beertoro Aspirant (270) Nov 16, 2015 New Jersey

I love Canyon and it's unfortunate that more breweries in New Jersey don't want to do a good lager, but I can also understand the why.

mumbles44 likes this.
  16. Lesak87

Lesak87 Initiate (117) Mar 26, 2015 New Jersey

A lot of the craft beer crowd these days would rather drink a mediocre double IPA over a well-crafted lager. It really is a shame because it takes serious brewing skills to make a great lager. Not knocking current trends as I'm a big IPA drinker myself, but I just wish some beer drinkers would expand their horizons with more traditional styles.

Then again, different strokes for different folks.

17. Bdalik

Bdalik Aspirant (266) Feb 1, 2015 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

It is a true shame. A well-crafted lager can be wonderful, but breweries see it as a financial burden to make one since nobody will travel for a great pils. Hope the next trend in this world is towards simple, well crafted easy drinking beer. Some of these massively hopped IPA's are great, but I always go back to simplicity.

18. FailedVandal

FailedVandal Initiate (116) Jan 13, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Just had my last one Friday. You're right, the hops were completely gone, but what was left was a really tasty cream ale.

inkman15, Xerlic and Megamanmmx like this.
  19. beertoro

That's where I'm at this year. Carton Canyon & Ron's were fantastic. I really enjoy the Barnegat Lager from Ship Bottom. Interboro has a really nice lager, as well. This is the first summer I'm actually seeking out really good pilseners and lagers, only to realize, it's not really done because it's not really appreciated.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  20. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,083) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I don't totally disagree but I HAVE in the past year bought lagers/pilsners from Threes, OH, Greenpoint, Carton, Brix City, not to mention bigger places like Southern Tier, Victory, Troegs, etc. they're out there.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  21. kthoag

Beer Trader

I will also call out Kolsch's while we're talking non-trendy craft styles that I love. Even the 'fake' ones, like OHs are good. I have the last growler of Disclaimer from Troon on Earth and I don't want to drink it because then I won't have it anymore.

wise456 likes this.
  22. Xerlic

Xerlic Initiate (147) Aug 26, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

Industrial Arts in Haverstraw does a pretty decent pilsner called Metric.

If you can make the trip up to Suarez Family, they have several great pilsners on tap and the Hudson Valley is beautiful this time of year.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  23. beertoro

But that kinda makes my point... a lot of those are outside of New Jersey. I'll have those that you mentioned, but sometimes I just want... well, more like WISH that New Jersey were a little more active in that lager/pils arena. That's why now I'd jump at the chance for Canyon or Ron's (again) in cans.

I think a lot of my bitterness stems from the fact that I can't get Jack's Abby in New Jersey either.

HopBomb515 likes this.
  24. mumbles44

mumbles44 Initiate (132) Jan 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

can't agree enough.

Would love to see Canyon make it to cans. Great bbq beer in my opinion as to me i can't do too much ipa during the hot summer months.

25. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,083) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I hope to see Sit Down Son soon too. I guess I was just thinking locally, not just NJ. I do get Jacks Abbey when I'm up in NY. Good stuff. Seems like Von Trapp makes lagers which we now get here.

SammyJaxxxx and kthoag like this.
  26. Zonk

Zonk Devotee (428) Dec 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Pretty sure @augiecarton has mentioned they make a lager that he intends to have on regularly once they have the tank space (new building). Think he even mentioned its name on Steal This Beer. Never seen it in the tap room though, very curious.

NickCaff likes this.
  27. kthoag

Beer Trader

This Town?

Zonk likes this.
  28. njcraftfan

njcraftfan Initiate (46) Dec 18, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I thought that was just a one-off goof in response to Stillwater branding their session lager Yacht - I wouldn't have expected it again, but I wouldn't be disappointed if they did, as I liked it as well...

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  29. Zonk

Zonk Devotee (428) Dec 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

That does sound familiar.

30. njbeer_traveler

njbeer_traveler Initiate (127) Feb 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I enjoyed Sit Down Son. Hope they brew and can an affordable lager. Carton Canyon is good but a bit expensive for a growler fill when they do have it available.

31. nesarebad

nesarebad Devotee (472) Feb 4, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

SS Cream was so good. Would like to see that one come back.

32. Harrisdoodle

Harrisdoodle Initiate (135) Jan 13, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

That's definitely it. Any updates on the new building? I haven't been down there in a couple of months.

kthoag likes this.
  33. Bdalik

Subscriber Beer Trader

Let's just say the Carton brewer's tap is almost certainly tapped with some pils or helles. As a brewer who knows how hard it is to make a great lager, other brewers most definitely appreciate them by drinking them.

kthoag and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  34. beertoro

Hey @Bdalik ... I'm not a brewer (yet) and I appreciate it! A lot!

35. augiecarton

augiecarton Aspirant (210) Oct 22, 2010 New Jersey
    Industry

you brew?

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  36. Bdalik

Subscriber Beer Trader

@augiecarton yes! I am one of 2 brewers over at Conclave. had the pleasure of hanging out with a couple of your guys (Dennis and Brendan) a few days ago. Great guys.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  37. augiecarton

Industry

very cool, nice to meet you. next time you're in have them pour you some this town its what's on that tap, and some day we will leave enough behind for it to get to the TR or maybe even a can

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  38. Bdalik

Subscriber Beer Trader

Much appreciated Augie, thank you. I'm headed down for my Boat fix tonight actually and will pop my head in the brewery to see if those guys are working.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  39. augiecarton

Industry

oh nice you'll find something fun either way, have a good time

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  40. augiecarton

Industry

i checked so you wouldn't get treated as weird, and sadly denniis is off at 4 and the last this town is gone and the next is lagering... next time i guess, but please have fun any way

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.