Carton Regular Coffee 2016

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by CD83, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CD83

CD83 Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2014 Michigan

Anyone have any info on when this one is getting canned? One of my favorite brews, and I have a really awesome trading partner waiting in the wings to pick some up for me! Any info would be appreciated.

2. Harrisdoodle

Harrisdoodle Initiate (25) Jan 13, 2015 New Jersey

3. Tim725

Tim725 Disciple (370) Mar 8, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

Probably next week or two! My bet would be they open next Monday and drop it then!

4. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (2,011) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Society

5. HeyLady

HeyLady Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2015 New York

Anyone else think they might not do regular coffee this year? Kind of like how Dune Fruit replaced Monkey Chased the Weasel, same style beer but a different beer. I noticed they have a 12% cream ale at EBF this year, Cafe Y Churro. Regular coffee is a 12% cream ale...

Just a thought, really have nothing to base it on.

6. blassor

blassor Aspirant (262) Sep 2, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

Cafe y Churro is a variant of RC like Irish coffee was last year.

7. HeyLady

HeyLady Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2015 New York

aaahh ok that makes sense. Thanks for the insight.

8. troybeeramalau

troybeeramalau Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2015 Pennsylvania

I'm shocked that people actually like this beer.

mikeburd1128 likes this.
  9. Bdalik

Bdalik Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2015 New Jersey

Apparently, this isnt Augie's favorite beer to make. He still thinks Boat is the best beer they make (and I completely agree). So we may not see if this year I'm not too sure.

dagimp likes this.
  10. LFC_YNWA

LFC_YNWA Initiate (129) May 31, 2014 New Jersey

Boat and 077xx are not only the best beers Carton makes, but some of the best beers of their kind on the East Coast. Thankfully these are the two that they make and can on a regular basis. Augie has good taste

11. jojo2112

jojo2112 Initiate (167) Sep 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

That explains why it seems a lot easier to get Boat than any of their other beers at the local stores. Couldn't disagree more with @augiecarton on that though. Boat tastes like 95% of the other session ales out there. 077XX on the other hand is one of my favorite beers from any brewery.

HeyHayward likes this.
  12. augiecarton

augiecarton Initiate (198) Oct 22, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

agree to disagree

dagimp, sevenzig, Brewzer1010 and 7 others like this.
  13. taestee

taestee Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2012 New York

I don't like sweet beers all that much, but find Regular Coffee to be super drinkable. The high ABV also helps its cause.

14. LFC_YNWA

Yea I think Boat really stands out as a session. For me it has a very unique taste and is one of my favorite session beers. In the summer if I'm doing something outside Boat is a go to for me. And I'm not saying that to kiss Augie's ass because he posts in this thread. I don't love most of the one-offs they do at the brewery, but Boat and 077xx are elite

15. augiecarton

Society

not a fan of epitome or weasel or idipa or any of the saison set, or shipwreck? just boat and dub? guessing you are a citra/cascade guy?

16. Tim725

Tim725 Disciple (370) Mar 8, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

Don't know if this release can just be skipped. Generates a lot of buzz not only locally but at the national level. Augie was recently reposting articles on FB highlighting how Regular Coffee gets recognized as one of the top 'coffee beers' around.

17. augiecarton

Society

for the record i don't not like regular coffee, it's a very fun beer. but remember it's born of me being a black coffee drinker. so the process was: wondering if we could... we did... we liked it... we shared it... In general i like flavors i can sit with for hours of drinking, a third reg coffee is cloying for that (obvi at 12% that's ok), but the first is always awesome. i actually prefer it about a year old as the coffee fades into the Werthers profile. but i'm usually good for a couple dozen over the year and am happy with what it is.
    and in case i typed poorly above here is all the thoughts i had back when we first made it... i stand by that

#17 augiecarton, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    briancregg101, jcos and Burntfoot like this.
  18. LFC_YNWA

I've admittedly haven't had anywhere close to all of them, just when I go to the brewery on a given day, which is maybe 5-6 times a year, nothing really stands out as significantly better than 077xx or Boat. That's by no means a knock and I just think Boat and 077xx are that good. I'd love to try some of the 077 variants, but yea things like Gilded Lily, BDG, Decoy and others from the past just aren't my personal cup of tea. Not to say those are bad beers just not my personal favorites. Whereas I'll put Boat up against any session and 077xx against most DIPAs.

Btw...I brought 50lbs worth of various beers to Belgrade, Serbia this past spring, where the craft beer scene is up and coming (Kabinet Brewery's Supernova IPA was one of the best I've ever had surprisingly). And of all the stuff I brought them, the consensus was that 077xx was their favorite and the best beer they've ever had.

Very grateful to have you in NJ and very grateful that your beer is (usually) accessible in local stores. Keep up the good work

koopa and augiecarton like this.
  19. abkayak

abkayak Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2013 New York

not that it matters, but
    Reg Coffee>077>Boat
    that coffee in the winter is such a mood setter

taestee likes this.
  20. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,502) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

This want has managed to elude me so hopefully 2016 brings me new luck. I will say one of the great qualities about Carton is that their high ABV beers over 10%, only speaking for the ones I've had (Epitome, Gilded Lily, Decoy, Ship Wreck Porter) are extremely drinkable and hide their ABV well. I wonder if Regular Coffee is the same.

21. augiecarton

Society

seriously no worries and thanks for the thoughts... you shouldn't make thing like wasabi sours and clam ales if you aren't willing to have some people react less than favorably... that's what our game is.

Brewzer1010, koopa, jcos and 6 others like this.
  22. jojo2112

Fair enough. Myself and two fellow beer drinkers did a blind tasting last year with 5 session ales. They were:

Carton Boat
    Founders All Day
    Ballast Point Even Keel
    Firestone Walker Easy Jack
    Green Flash Citra Session

The consensus was Citra Session was the best (we all picked it as our favorite). Two of us liked Boat #2 (myself included). But we all agreed none of them stood out as being significantly better than any of the others. Were all particularly impressed with Even Keel for only being 3.8% ABV.

A session tasting is really tough to do though in one sitting as they all really do taste very similar.

#22 jojo2112, Jan 11, 2016
  23. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Crusader (761) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

:confused:!!! Wondering why @augiecarton posted 4 times in a thread speculating when 2016 Regular Coffee is coming out and didn't address the topic at all? Maybe it's not as close to being released as we are all hoping?

24. augiecarton

Society

talking about releases and lines and whalez bores me, talking about flavors and joys and ideas excites me. it's self selective

shaemmerle, TBBAGBIF, jcos and 6 others like this.
  25. augiecarton

Society

sure but a session beer is intended for the exact opposite of blind tasting small amounts. i'll make a deal with you, get 8-12 boats and drink them in a row with nothing between while you watch the super bowl this year or have a cook out this summer. if boat's special-ness doesn't become clear to you after that we can agree that its just not the beer to you it is to me, and since i'm its daddy i understand i am often a little hyperbolic on its uniqueness

thampel09 and smo like this.
  26. jojo2112

Fair enough. And I'll gladly accept your challenge (provided I can find me some Boat in time for the Superbowl). And don't get me wrong, I do like Boat and if it were more easily obtainable for me it would probably even be my go to session. IMHO it just doesn't stand out from all the other dozens upon dozens of sessions I've had. But admittedly I'm more of a DIPA hop head guy that only turns to sessions when I'm drinking more than a few.

27. augiecarton

Society

yea, that's not when boat works. boat is session beer for double drinkers when they can't drink doubles, if you are just putting the breaks on once your palate has shifted way out on doubles there is no need to open boats. thusly there will be some more around to session on.

KillerTofu likes this.
  28. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (2,011) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Society

I, for one, am very much looking forward to the release of Regular Coffee!

#28 ShanePB, Jan 11, 2016
    augiecarton likes this.
  29. Crab_gang

Crab_gang Aspirant (265) Jun 13, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I have pretty much loved all of cartons beers, but was a little underwhelmed by sit down son, until I had brought a couple 4 packs to an Eagles tailgate. Then I realized what a great beer it was, perfect for the occasion.

internetay and augiecarton like this.
  30. eagles7251

eagles7251 Initiate (70) Sep 29, 2009 New Jersey

Cant say I am any expert when it comes to beer tasting but I have tried numerous session IPAS (ie Stone, Lagunitas, Boulevard Pop Up, Firestone) and nothing tops BOAT.

koopa and augiecarton like this.
  31. augiecarton

Society

each beer in its place

32. Elivictus

Elivictus Initiate (0) Aug 18, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

SS Yirgacheffe > Reg Coffee for me. I need more of that smoked pineapple ipa collab with ATG from last year. One of my favorite IPAs I've ever had. And I still have hopes to see Something Like Sandy one more time.

33. LFC_YNWA

Ha the wasabi sour was definitely one of the ones I remember. I was at the brewery the day you were doing it over the randall with seaweed (or was it sushi rice?). Very interesting and I love that I can try things like that. Just not buying a 4-pack of it.

I so so so agree with this. Sit Down Son was in cans last time I was there and not on tap. I just bought it on a whim, without knowing anything about it. The first one I drank as like my 3rd or 4th beer of the night and thought it was absolutely gross. I'm not a drain pour guy so made myself finish it and decided it wasn't all bad. Later that week I just wanted to have one beer for the night and decided I wanted to get rid of the Sit Down Son I thought I didn't care for, but on its own in a one-off setting it was fantastic and I really really liked it. It definitely was something very different for my palate, but I ended up enjoying it.

augiecarton likes this.
  34. augiecarton

Society

sandy is probably gone, but its acetic grandson disaster comes about erry now an'gain. both ATG and we have agreed SSKY will happen sometime, but its yet to be properly sorted

35. augiecarton

Society

as a rule for all breweries, not just us, if things are being done well down around 4% the art is in the subtle, the balance, and/or the nuance and these things ability to hold your attention over time. if you are putting these behind other more "showy" beers (what i call "impression" beers rather than "drinking" beers on the show) in your drinking progression you are disadvantaging what they can be good at.
    for example my beer digger. its meant to evoke the sensations of a day drinking light pales, eating clams, and sitting in the sun. it may or may not work for each person, but if it comes after even a boat, it never showed what it brought to the party in the first place. its dialed as tight as a watch, for sunny day drinking at the jersey shore in august not being 1 of a flight with a double ipa a coffee stout and a berliner.

36. LFC_YNWA

Completely agree brother. Keep making stuff off the beaten craft and I'll keep trying it

augiecarton likes this.
  37. augiecarton

Society

deal

EnthusedAboutBeer and Fahmie25 like this.
  38. Harrisdoodle

Different topic, but do you sell those sweet neon light Carton signs?

39. augiecarton

Society

let's just say no. i am a jersey boy, life long dream was having a beer neon, any neon in my house. now that it's for my brewery i obviously had to make them. but we made like 20, and at that size the order is hundreds of dollars a piece. i am down to 2 left, what i would have to charge wouldn't make sense, unless your last name is also Carton, which would be cool.

40. Harrisdoodle

Dang! Thanks anyway!

augiecarton likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.