Casanova-Hudson, WI

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by ZROC, Sep 14, 2013.

1. ZROC

ZROC Jul 10, 2011 Iowa

Going to be up that way in a few weeks here on a Grouse hunt up by Hayward. Usually find New Glarus stuff at the various gas stations (too cool) but I was curious about Casanova. Do they do growler fills now? I swung through last year but only had a short period of time to work with, but I landed some dandies. Looking to be swinging through Monday the 30th, anything I should keep my open for? Thanks to any and all replies.

2. gatornation

gatornation Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

they usually post new growler fills on thursday/friday of each week along with new arrivals on twitter , take a look there

opwog likes this.
  3. DecorahNM

DecorahNM Jun 6, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Passed through there on Wednesday. Lots of awesome, nicely priced growler fills. Including $9.99 growlers of Toppling Goliath(!) I believe their glass was $8. Overall, great selection of stuff we can't get in Iowa: Dreadnaught bombers, Racer 5, lots of Bruery stuff, Oskar Blues. Had a lot of the same Shelton Bros stuff that is available down here, but they did have Mikkeller Beer Geek Vanilla Shake...which I hadn't seen in my area. Didn't see any AleSmith bottles, but it might be worth asking about.

4. ZROC

ZROC Jul 10, 2011 Iowa

Awesome, that's what I was looking for. Im actually wanting to bring home a cooler full of growlers if at all possible. Another random question: Can I bring my own growlers? Don't really have anywhere to fill around here, but I do have a pile from sharing with local homebrewers. Is there an etiquette standard on this?

BrettHead likes this.
  5. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

You can bring your own growlers. They fill them directly so make sure they're super clean.

6. denali55421

denali55421 Dec 30, 2010 Minnesota
    Subscriber

Casanova will fill any growlers..so bring them all!!

7. gatornation

gatornation Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

You Can bring your own growlers

8. ZROC

ZROC Jul 10, 2011 Iowa

Cool, thanks for the replies. Cant wait to go on that trip!

9. Steasy66

Steasy66 Feb 23, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Yes, bring your own growlers because theirs are pretty expensive. 2L only.

10. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Feb 23, 2013 Minnesota

How was the growler of Masala Mama?

11. ZROC

ZROC Jul 10, 2011 Iowa

Pretty spot on! That beer was nicely done. Been quite some time since ive had any TG so im pretty excited. Made another trade with a gentlemen from up your way and my barleywine collection is getting bigger! Gonna tear it down sometime this winter. Ill make sure your invited, it'll be a good one!

PieOhMy and BrettHead like this.
  12. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Feb 23, 2013 Minnesota

Awesome! It is getting close to barleywine weather!

Good hunting.

13. wisconsinbeer1

wisconsinbeer1 Nov 11, 2004 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

They have 64 oz growlers for sale also

14. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 May 6, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

says the Employee of the Year. I highly recommend the Nova, go in, chat them up (some great people there, make sure you pet the dog) and grab some great brews. They usually have at least 2/3 TG beers, a FFF, and other WI locals. It is by far my favorite place to go for fills. Also, don't sleep on Stone Tap, just opened recently, good food (even though it is hard to pay .50 for mayo for a burger) will be doing growler fills soon, maybe now. So cheers, enjoy your stay.

15. mjryan

mjryan Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

Wait, they charged for mayonnaise? Fucking mayonnaise! I'll still check them out, and bring my own bloody mayo.

16. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 May 6, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

burger was damn good, but when I got the bill, was taken back a bit.

17. ben4bier

ben4bier Mar 3, 2013 Minnesota

Or you could just put ketchup on your Burger like an American.

18. mjryan

mjryan Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

Ketchup goes on scrambled eggs, not burgers.

biglobo8971 and Revenant like this.
  19. cptnspeed1

cptnspeed1 May 20, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

No, they will not fill stainless growlers or any other opaque growlers.

20. mnbuffalo

mnbuffalo Jul 26, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

This sucks. I've got a Societe growler and a trader willing to swap TG for Societe on a regular basis. One of my Nova growlers shattered on my way home last spring too.

Any insight on the rationale behind not filling stainless steel?I was told Stone Tap will have stainless steel, so hopefully they'll be filling Toppling Goliath too.

21. denali55421

denali55421 Dec 30, 2010 Minnesota
    Subscriber

Sorry for not being specific enough!! As a Minnesotan, we can only use 64 oz glass growlers so I've never ran across an opaque one. Pretty sure the majority of people consider a growler to be a 64oz glass bottle, but I know for a fact in Iowa they'll fill up a half gallon milk jug for you so I should've said "standard" glass growler!

22. EddieB23

EddieB23 Nov 26, 2008 Minnesota

Stone Tap has had Stainless Growlers for about a week now, have been talking with Toppling Goliath, hoping to have them on by end of the month.

23. mnbuffalo

Beer Trader

Great call on the stainless steel! I sent one to Massachusetts in a Town Hall insulated holder with ice packs and it was still cold when it got there. I also feel their caps maintain carbonation longer. Having a glass growler explode in your car isn't fun either. I have a few empty 750's will you fill them? That will be great if you get Toppling Goliath for fills. I'll be there soon.

Does the Nova fill them?

24. brewseum

brewseum Nov 11, 2004 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

They've filled my cupped hands,a ziploc, my kid's aquarium and a swim cap for me,so I don't see why not?

Filling opaque growlers might be a problem of not seeing how FULL they are at any given point. Just a guess though.

25. cmannes

cmannes Mar 15, 2009 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Odd, last time I was there I filled my Brauler, which is a stainless steel growler. (Pseudo Sue, damn fine beer.)

26. cptnspeed1

Beer Trader

I was told since they fill it from kegs, they have no way of knowing when its full and they don't want to have significant waste. They want to be able to in the future using some type of floater system if they can find one. My information is as of August 18th, so maybe they have figured it out. Might as well call ahead if there is any question.

27. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Jul 23, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

If anyone is headed over there soon and they still have Zeelander for fills, GET IT. It was soooo goooooooood.

MNBeerGeek and mnbuffalo like this.
  28. mnbuffalo

Beer Trader

I finally filled up my growlers with something other than Pseudo Sue and tried Zeelander and Golden Nugget. Both were spectacular in their own way and I will definetly cycle them into my rotation with Pseudo Sue going forward.

29. Steasy66

Beer Trader

Zeelander>Sue, pass it on.

McRyan, GeezLynn and Penguin3200 like this.
  30. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

Nugget>Sue>Zee

Nugget>Pliny

McRyan and gatornation like this.
  31. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Jun 18, 2008 Minnesota

I love Nugget, but your nuts, man, nuts. Pliny rules. Try it fresh on tap and very little compares.

That said, I love Nugget!

minnesotaryan likes this.
  32. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

Haven't had Pliny at the source but I have had it on tap. Nugget!!!

33. Steasy66

Beer Trader

I thought nugget was pretty average when I had it.

34. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

35. Steasy66

Beer Trader

36. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Jun 18, 2008 Minnesota

Fair enough, makes me want some of each!

37. AnalogErik

Beer Trader

When I had Zee, it was out of a friend's growler, and I thought it was Sue. Tastes very similar. Ill be getting nugget next I think.

38. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Oct 19, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Zeelander tasted like Sue? Your friend's growler must have been mislabeled or very old. I can not think of two IPAs that taste less alike.

Mplsmetro57 likes this.
  39. cptnspeed1

Beer Trader

120 minute and All day IPA. Do I win a prize?

minnesotaryan likes this.
  40. AnalogErik

Beer Trader

Well I had never had either, maybe one of us did have a mixup...... I thought they were really similar.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe