Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Casita Cerveceria

Discussion in 'New England' started by TheMagnanimous, Apr 10, 2017.

1. TheMagnanimous

TheMagnanimous Initiate (198) Mar 16, 2011 Vermont
    Beer Trader

So, according to a recent post it looks like Ryan Witter-Merithew is leaving Hill Farmstead and VT to move to NC. Doing some collabs this summer but that's it. Unclear if he'll re-start Casita in NC.......here's the post:

http://www.casitacerveceria.com/full-circle-tour.html

2. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Devotee (497) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I assumed he was out with the Mike Gerhart news. Always wondered what the split was between Shaun and Ryan in the brew house.

3. TheMagnanimous

Beer Trader

I have heard zero and Ryan wanting to go to NC seems normal. The timing is interesting with the Mike Gerhart news, obviously. However, it could be as simple as Ryan told Shaun he was leaving a couple months ago, so they brought in Mike as a result.

Not to be a hater at all, but I'm not super excited about the switch. Ryan's beers are really nice... Mike hasn't made any tremendous beers I've tasted. Very solid but his highest rated OC stuff involves Sean Lawson. Maybe he is good with mixed culture and just wasn't able to do it at OC....

4. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (252) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Mike's highest rated beers involve Lawson because hype and rarity are the driving factors behind ratings.

Tremendous beers are there but if you distribute too much ratings suffer.

Honestly the barleywine was shit and double dose slides by on it's first iteration's undue legacy. Far better beers coming out of OC than buttery super session, declining SoS and many of the lol Lawson bottles over the past handfull of releases. The beer world has passed some people by. Only a matter of time to figure out who those people are.

5. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Devotee (497) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

And I'll be that guy: I thought Hill Farmsteads IPAs had slipped in quality. Filled a number of growlers on a trip two months ago and was surprised to see Abner pour a murky brown color and a bit disappointed upon drinking it. Saisons and other beers were great, but the IPAs just didn't seem right.

tacosandbeer likes this.
  6. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (252) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

I will see that and raise it with a bet that it is rectified with Mike riding in, albeit on Sean Lawson's coat tails.

HuskyHawk likes this.
  7. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (957) Mar 17, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

I've always noticed fluctuation here-and-there with the IPAs. Given that, I've had certain ones in the past year that appeared better than any previous batch I remember.

tacosandbeer and TheBirdSanc like this.
  8. TheMagnanimous

Beer Trader

So what are the good OC beers coming out, then? I'm honestly curious because I haven't heard anyone talk about any specific beers, but revere MG as an amazing brewer. Would like to know what OC beers i'm missing.

9. juliolugo

juliolugo Initiate (38) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

Free Flow IPA is really good. I also dig Backseat Berner (the first snow globe-y batch notwithstanding) and the RIS.

10. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Initiate (188) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

A couple spotty batches of Double Sunshine and the beer world has passed Sean Lawson by. Okay....

purephase likes this.
  11. bla211

bla211 Initiate (173) Mar 17, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

HF growlers last approximately 3 days after being filled. I am not sure if it's their process of filling that causes the issue but I have always found their growlers to show signs of oxidation MUCH sooner than other breweries.

12. Davl22

Davl22 Disciple (369) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I have found the complete opposite. I try to drink within 7 days but I've waited up to 3-4 weeks and haven't noticed a drop off. I've always felt they were super particular with the attention to detail on filling growlers to the lip, purging with CO2, etc.

13. TheMagnanimous

Beer Trader

Only person I've ever heard say this. I had a 2 month double galaxy that was totally carbed. Had month old Double Citra recently....still carbed.

nh2032 likes this.
  14. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Initiate (188) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Same. I make the trip infrequently enough that a growler or two inevitably makes it to the month mark and given that I tend to save the higher abv stuff that long they're almost universally still excellent. Tbh they'd probably be the last brewery I'd expect that problem from given the attention to detail virtually everywhere else in the operation.

7irondave and nh2032 like this.
  15. jhavs

jhavs Meyvn (1,461) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I feel that they last much longer then expected. I have opened up 750's that had been in my fridge for a month. I am always surprised how long they last. The attention they pay to filling their growlers is high. I probably fill growlers at HF twice a month on average.

16. Lupin

Lupin Aspirant (291) Jun 4, 2006 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

String bet. Only the call of the original bet stands.

17. rwitter

rwitter Initiate (17) Jan 18, 2006 Denmark

Howdy. Yes family and I are moving back to NC. Currently hope to find a space and contract brew with the hope to eventually build our own. That being said Mike coming on and I leaving are not related. I am a brewer and Mike is coming in as COO so it should be apparent that his role will be much more then what mine currently is.

If you ever experience issues with the beer at the brewery don't hesitate to email myself or anyone else there. We take a lot of pride in what we make and work hard to always improve. Ryan@hillfarmstead.com is my email

18. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (183) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Exactly what I was thinking while reading this thread.

19. TheMagnanimous

Beer Trader

Thanks for the clarification, Ryan.

Great to hear about the plans to brew and look for a space in NC. Sad that we probably won't see those beers in VT, but great to hear the brewing will continue. Cheers!

jhavs likes this.
  20. papposilenus

papposilenus Defender (645) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Like anywhere, depends who's pulling the taps. I've had nothing but good luck at Hill Farmstead but last spring I witnessed, out of the corner of my eye, someone else's growlers being poorly filled by a tired staffer having a bad day.

I think that was also about the time I noticed the quality of the PA's wasn't quite up where it had been. But, then, on my next trip, and thereafter, I thought they were right back to where they had been, or even better.

(Edited to add: Sorry, I just remembered this was a Casita thread and I inadvertently perpetuated the HF taproom hijack. Good luck, Ryan!)

#20 papposilenus, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    TheMagnanimous and VABA like this.
  21. Janeinma

Janeinma Devotee (420) May 24, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I will be very sorry to see you go, will you be doing some last bottles to keep us going for a while?
    a fresh batch of El Locuelo Pomelo and Amigos Britanicos would make me very happy.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.