1. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Categorize this Beer!

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by hoptualBrew, Mar 16, 2019.

1. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Zealot (592) May 29, 2011 Florida

Entering this into a competition. 2015 BJCP Style Guidelines.

OG 1.094
    FG 1.029
    8.5% abv
    55 IBU
    40+ SRM

Grain:

53% 2 Row
    9% Maris Otter
    7% Flaked Oat
    7% Flaked Barley
    7% Midnight Wheat
    6% Chocolate
    4% C60
    4% Victory
    2% C80
    1% C120

(% are rounded to nearest whole number)

Hops:

Northdown & EKG in boil

Yeast:

London ESB 1968

2. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (105) Jan 10, 2018 California

Is this a test? RIS

SFACRKnight and dmtaylor like this.
  3. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (440) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

I don't mean to be argumentative (really), but the ingredients don't determine the category. Rather, how the beer finished will make this decision. A detailed description of it's qualities will tell you how to enter. For all my competition beers I wait until everything is finished before determining the category. This is harder than it sounds, especially when it's your own beer. Judges don't care that the recipe called for say "chocolate", only that they taste/smell that characteristic.

FWIW, the Imperial Stout category lost it's Russian association four years ago.

GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  4. wspscott

wspscott Champion (860) May 25, 2006 Kentucky

Robust Porter?

5. hoptualBrew

@PortLargo

Tasting notes:

Thick black in color, khaki head.
    Aroma is sweet chocolate and roast that is backed by a complex meld of stone fruit, roasted nuts, and caramel.
    Palate follows aroma with low-moderate perceived bitterness, low roast character, silky smooth, semi-sweet, moderately thick body.

6. minderbender

minderbender Aspirant (206) Jan 18, 2009 New York

Tropical stout?

MostlyNorwegian likes this.
  7. hoptualBrew

Not a test. I don’t really know how to categorize it.

It’s kind of an old school English imperial stout without the roast character but has oats.

Could use some help to categorize it best so it doesn’t get knocked.

dmtaylor likes this.
  8. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (410) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Strong American stout, or a strong American ale.

9. minderbender

It sounds too dark for an American strong ale and not roasty enough for an American stout in my opinion.

10. PortLargo

Alcoholic presence (taste and aroma)? Head retention? Carb level? Finish?

11. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (736) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

This...is what the Russian troll farm/BJCP would have us believe :wink:

dmtaylor likes this.
  12. hoptualBrew

No perceived booziness, good head retention, carb level moderate-low, around 2.4 volumes if I had to guess.

13. dmtaylor

dmtaylor Aspirant (213) Dec 30, 2003 Wisconsin

It is certainly without any doubt an Imperial Stout.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  14. PortLargo

I would say English Porter, followed closely by American Porter or Foreign Export Stout. You didn't comment on finish, but both Porters have a fairly large range of dry to moderately sweet (FES should be dry). As an EP, you'll likely get dinged for too rich of a body . . . as an AP/FEX you'll get hit for low bitterness. If you can spare the bottles, submit in multiple categories.

15. minderbender

I don't know. He says it has "low roast character" and "low-moderate perceived bitterness." That doesn't sound like an Imperial Stout to me. A Tropical Stout is sweet, like this beer, and can be pretty big (up to 8% ABV, which I realize this beer is above, but not by much). A Tropical Stout isn't characterized by roastiness and bitterness the way an Imperial Stout is.

I mean, here's the style comparison for Tropical Stout from the BJCP guidelines:

Style Comparison: Tastes like a scaled-up sweet stout with higher fruitiness. Similar to some Imperial Stouts without the high bitterness, strong/burnt roastiness, and late hops, and with lower alcohol. Much more sweet and less hoppy than American Stouts. Much sweeter and less bitter than the similar-gravity Export Stouts.

[me again] To me the beer that hoptualBrew described checks all of those boxes. I'm no expert on this and I obviously haven't tasted the beer, but based on the description I feel Tropical Stout is a pretty good fit.

hoptualBrew likes this.
  16. Arturo2

Arturo2 Initiate (34) Jan 6, 2019 Oregon

Imperial Stout.
    But I’d be tempted to call it an Imperial Black Ale even though there’s no such thing.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  17. dmtaylor

dmtaylor Aspirant (213) Dec 30, 2003 Wisconsin

Sorry, but at 7% midnight and 6% chocolate, I just cannot believe it's "low roast" or "low bitterness". Must be tasted to be believed. I mean the SRM is like 45. That's a blacker than blackest black black beer.

I stand by my claim that it's a RIS. But by all means, go ahead and enter as multiple styles then see which one it scores best at.

18. Beerswimmer

Beerswimmer Initiate (114) Mar 4, 2013 Texas

Robust porter since it's not bitter. Not BJCP, but I would tell friends it's a strong/Imperial dark ale.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  19. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,777) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Enter in the historical category and declare it a Russian Imperial Stout, harkening back to the time when the style guidelines had a little more swagger.

PortLargo, dmtaylor and riptorn like this.