CCB Jai Alai taste

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by flag8r, Oct 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flag8r

flag8r Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2009 Florida

I recently picked up some Sept. 11th dated cans, tasted ok but something was off. Today I tried some Sept. 24th and the taste was the old standard. The 11th was lacking the fruit flavors and hop profile. Am I spoiled or was something possibly off in that batch?

2. SilentUproar

SilentUproar Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2012 Florida

I had the same problem with the 9/4 batch.

3. flag8r

I'll add that it tasted pretty boozy.

4. RayUF07

RayUF07 Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Florida

All my 9/11 cans were great, no issues here.

cyrushire and Lasering like this.
  5. pieman396

pieman396 Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

9/16 batch is delicious as usual

6. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Meyvn (1,417) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Ive had batches a month out, and theyve tasted pretty damned fantastic.

7. SilentUproar

SilentUproar Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2012 Florida

It wasnt an issue with them being old, it was that they didn't taste the same. The six pack that I had canned on 9/4 bought on 9/14 tasted syrupy and had little to know fruit taste and very little hop profile. Happy to hear newer batches taste fine as this is my go to to beer . Haven't picked up any since beginning of September, been drinking Sculpin

8. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Meyvn (1,417) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I had the same problem Sculpin and Racer 5. Both have gotten better with subsequent batches.

9. velcrogrip

velcrogrip Devotee (437) Mar 2, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

maybe they had an issue in shipping out to flagler? I haven't had any negative jai alai issues, but then i'm in Tampa.

10. Danny1217

Danny1217 Champion (846) Jul 15, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

I definitely had this same issue with the 9/11 batch. Tastes grassy to me, without the big fruitiness. I was actually considering emailing CCB about it, that's how disappointed I was.

11. jivex5k

jivex5k Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Florida

I'm drinking one right now actually. Tastes normal to me. These were kept cold at a crown the whole time before I bought them, and right to the fridge in my place.
    EDIT- Wait that was the 9/5 batch.
    These were warm on the shelf at an ABC.

IDK, if there is a difference it's too subtle for me to notice.

12. jmm380

jmm380 Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

I had a 6 of the 9/11 batch and noticed nothing wrong. Same old deliciousness.

13. Skrypt

Skrypt Aspirant (216) Mar 8, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

Bob said a few weeks ago that jai alai is now being double dry hopped , so maybe there was a hiccup in the transition?

14. TheChef18

TheChef18 Initiate (192) Jun 23, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

Not sure if it was my imagination, or even correlated to this at all. I was there about a week or two ago, I go so much I forget haha, and had a Tocobaga. Everything up to that point had been great as always, but the Tocobaga had a distinct taste to it that reminded of food with freezer burn. Not sure what could cause this, or if maybe my palate was just off that day but it definitely was a turn off.

15. gunhaver

gunhaver Initiate (0) May 27, 2007 Florida

not trying to defend anything but i definitely do think that people don't take into account that their palates change ALL the time and are very fluid and things can taste quite different certain days versus other days. my go-to is Invasion and it's never quite the same to me even when just skipping a day.

16. adam42381

adam42381 Savant (917) Oct 10, 2005 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I also had an issue with a 6 pack of Tocobaga. I can't remember the bottling date, but I know it was sometime around the beginning of September. Tocobaga is one of my favorites and that 6-pack just tasted off. I drank one and thought it was off so I waited a week and tried another one. I ended up drainpouring the second. I may hold the other 4 and try them with some age to see if it gets any better.

17. jivex5k

jivex5k Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Florida

I haven't had tocopaca in a long time....

18. flag8r

I would normally agree, but considering I tried both dates at the same time I could certainly tell a marked difference.

19. badb_rad

badb_rad Aspirant (207) Dec 23, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I haven't had Jai Alai in awhile, but I had one of the 9/11 batch last night thought it was exactly what i remembered, epic good as usual.

20. RayUF07

RayUF07 Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Florida

The way your OP was written seems to indicate you drank them at different times. Which is true?

21. flag8r

I tried them side by side after initially trying the 11th.

22. Tone2467

Tone2467 Initiate (0) Jun 19, 2013 Florida

After reading this thread I opened my last 9/11 can and didn't think anything odd of it. In the name of research though I'll make sure to get a few more 9/11 cans for further analysis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.