Cellador (2020)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Dansac, Mar 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dansac

Dansac Initiate (137) Dec 6, 2014 California
    Trader

Incidentally, as I mentioned elsewhere, I really hope Kevin and the gang starts experimenting a bit more with aged hops and unfruited wilds/saisons, in addition to their crazy fruited/vegetable/hybrid program. It would be a way to experiment not only by the addition of novel ingredients for fermentation and sources for sugar like honey, but with cultures and base beers.

Famille and Du Rossier are absolutely wonderful, and Cuvee is, well, a gueuze basically (probably due to Homage's contribution). I've never quite been able to see the 'lambic' inspiration in the beers that claim to be so inspired.

In general, I feel Cellador's culture is less reliant on the funky end of the spectrum and allows the yeast and honey conditioning to come out, which works out beautifully with fruit, particularly stonefruit, and simple barrel fermented saisons. I'm so happy Rossier has become a flagship for them, it's damn delicious.

I know Kevin wants to experiment with barrel fermented lagers/pilsners, but who knows...

nghiem likes this.
  2. Djwildefire

Djwildefire Initiate (23) Mar 15, 2018 California

Cracked a Mas (Blend 3) today and really enjoyed it. Fairly tart, but not bracingly so, and great stone fruit character.

Dansac likes this.
  3. nghiem

nghiem Initiate (51) Sep 3, 2017 California
    Trader

I just tried Cellador for the first time with their Mas and Le Con offerings per this thread/Dansac's recommendations and holy smokes, I need to get my hands on more. When their membership opens up next year, sign me up!

Your comment regarding the stone fruit being upfront and balanced with just the right touch of tartness is spot on. Perfect amount of pucker and sweetness. I just bought a box of Masumoto peaches and the combination is :ok_hand:

unlikelyspiderperson and Dansac like this.
  4. Dansac

Trader

Keep an eye out for The Spectacular Commodity, which should be released in short notice. Also, when their collab with Homage Fleur du Matsumoto comes out, try to grab a hold of it. It's insanely good.

This year's Le Con blew me away.

unlikelyspiderperson and nghiem like this.
  5. nghiem

Trader

Picked up a couple sets of Spectacular Commodity today and can’t wait to try it. 0.8 pounds of peaches sounds perfect. 8 pounds of peaches per gallon sounds preposterous!

Dansac and thuey like this.
  6. Dansac

Trader

I had to pass on this one because of price. 20 bux for a 375 is more than I will ever pay.

Let me know about them though! I'm super curious and bummed about the format it was sold, alas.

nghiem likes this.
  7. thuey

thuey Disciple (330) Nov 13, 2015 California

Would you have done $40 / 750mL?

I'm assuming the price is cuz 8 lbs/gallon of peaches is $$$$. Usually Cellador beers are fairly priced, if not on the inexpensive side.

I ordered it too but not sure when's the next time I make it to LA for pickup under this COVID crisis.

nghiem likes this.
  8. Dansac

Trader

For the 8lbs maybe, but since it was 40 for half of that and half of the 0.8, no way.

9. tokimedo

tokimedo Aspirant (244) Feb 28, 2015 California
    Trader

Sad I missed that set, got caught up in family stuff today. If anyone got a spare set and is willing to trade it, or even for doll hairs, let me know please ! Want to share a set with friends.

cquiroga likes this.
  10. cquiroga

cquiroga Initiate (159) Oct 14, 2004 California

Get at me. Happy to spread the love.

11. Dansac

Trader

You're a legend bro.

12. Ponzu4u

Ponzu4u Initiate (47) Jun 19, 2015 California

Cracked a Peche Fumee tonight and couldn't believe how incredible it's drinking right now.

Dansac likes this.
  13. Dansac

Trader

Heads up: Cellador has growler fills for "Sour Rossier", which is Saison du Rossier with their mixed cultures added.

It is fantastic. I think they should make it a regular.

nghiem likes this.
  14. 562Brew

562Brew Initiate (81) Mar 5, 2018 California
    Trader

I’ve been tasked with tracking down some “I wish I could go to a Tiki Bar” any help on what cost was?

15. thuey

It's a member beer. Looks like the price is $14 / 375mL or $27 / 750mL.

562Brew likes this.
  16. 562Brew

Trader

Thanks for the info! Was it super limited for members?

17. thuey

The way Cellador 2020 membership works is that there's 6 beers exclusive to members. Depending on the tier, you get 1 - 4 of each bottle. (and a special 7th beer for the highest tier)

They usually have a few extras for sale to members if they want more than their tiered allocation. These are not made available to the public, as far as I know. On tap, yes, but I don't believe a non-member can purchase them.

As far as how many were made / are available, I really don't know. I live in San Francisco so it's been almost a year since I swung by Cellador. COVID-19 shut down my plans this year to visit, but I'll probably make the trek at some point.

562Brew likes this.
  18. 562Brew

Trader

I appreciate all the info! I noticed most Untappd check ins are from Tavour but I know Tavour usually distributes to markets outside of where the brewery would be. Hoping it’s not impossible to track one down locally in SoCal. Have a family member who is a huge Tiki drink fan, this bottle looks like a fun concept.

19. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (291) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

Will need to visit this weekend. Slide down my cellar door - growler fills for the public? Yes, excited to try it !

562Brew and nghiem like this.
  20. Dansac

Trader

One of my favorites beers of all time. It's ridiculously good.

infectedstouts likes this.
  21. mhucker28

mhucker28 Initiate (48) Apr 24, 2020 California

Damn, I might need to visit as well. Hoping to potentially join for next years membership.

22. nghiem

Trader

Upcoming 4th anniversary weekend with an epic 4-bottle release pack and some sweet crowler options.:heavymetal:

23. Djwildefire

Djwildefire Initiate (23) Mar 15, 2018 California

Baril d’Or was really good. Had to pick up another bottle!

thuey and nghiem like this.
  24. thuey

[​IMG]

It happened.

Lesson 1 - 0.8 lb peaches / barrel. According to the wife, "very refined" and refreshing. Despite the minimal peaches, their character can still be felt & tasted as it meshes with the Cellador cultures and honey fermentation. This one comes off as more sharp in tartness as the base beer is slightly at the forefront.

Lesson 2 - 8 lbs peaches / barrel. As my wife says, "rounded". The addition of a crapload of peaches makes the natural sweetness of the fruit blend with the base beer for a more integrated experience. That being said... it's very peach forward as you might expect, so is less nuanced vs. Lesson 1.

My wife enjoyed both beers. I enjoy L2 more because as I drink more and more Cellador, I find their honey fermentation and Cellador's tartness level less enjoyable, so the overwhelming peach character covers it up.

Not that surprisingly - I think the ideal peach level is in between the two extremes. While I liked L2 more, it's not as interesting as L1 because it's so fruit-forward.

That being said, it was a fun "lesson"! It's definitely far more interesting when you can share the experience with someone. And my wife quite enjoyed it.

25. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Aspirant (226) May 2, 2016 California
    Trader

I can't believe deadcrush and psalm spite is still available. I bought a couple more of each.

26. Yabu

Trader

Are the limit 1 - 16oz cans sold out? If not, can more be ordered tomorrow.

27. Yabu

Trader

only Le Grand Brugnon is sold out right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.