Cellar Essentials

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by CrackTheSkye, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrackTheSkye

CrackTheSkye Initiate (135) Nov 3, 2011 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Had a pair of Old Stocks last night on a whim (12,13) and it got me thinking about my cellar essentials. Not overly expensive and readily available, I almost always have a pair of Old Stocks downstairs. I like to do this because I can drink them as I please and it's not like saying goodbye to a loved one for a year when you decide to drink that bottle of Rare. They are also delicious fresh and get even better with age IMO. I also do this with Troegenator, Skull Splitter and Mcewan's Scotch ale as they meet the same criteria, although I never keep these for more than a few months. So my question to you is, what are your cellar essentials? Brews that you always have in stock that get you through the days and keep you from tapping into anything to special to soon.

2. Avalon68

Avalon68 Initiate (180) Jul 1, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

for me it is 1-2 year old lambic. Always try to keep a few bottles on hand.

3. CrackTheSkye

Beer Trader

Any specific brewery?

4. youradhere

youradhere Devotee (488) Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

Anything not pasturized.

I would vote for some English barley wines for cellar essentials, maybe a Samiclaus or two. Bigfoot is also a good one, as is Abyss.

5. dbol

dbol Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2007 California
    Beer Trader

Bigfoot Ale, J.W. Lees Harvest Ale or Thomas Hardy's. Gueuze's are always good to cellar, too.

6. OnWisconsin

OnWisconsin Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Can't go wrong with Founders RIS. I love that at one year and try to have a case of it for the following year.

FatBoyGotSwagger and AdamP like this.
  7. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (1,654) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I love throwing in a few bottles of Abyss every year.

kojevergas likes this.
  8. Nuggethops

Nuggethops Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2010 New Hampshire

classic gueuze if I could still get it, pannepot, palo santo, founders imperial stout, expedition stout, alaskan smoked porter, saison brett, saison rue, worldwide stout, our finest regards are all beers i have enjoyed with age and make a point to buy/trade for every so often so i have a steady supply in the cellar.

9. CrackTheSkye

Beer Trader

I second Palo Santo for sure, love that beer. World wide stout is a little out of my price range to have consistently. And I have yet to experimented with cellaring any kind of sour/saison type stuff although I have really been meaning to start.

10. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer Champion (849) May 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Gueuze/Lambic
    cuvee rene, 3F, Hanssens, Tilquin
    Barleywine
    bigfoot, monster ale, stone OG, jw lees
    Imp Stout
    old rasputin, bells expedition, stone RIS, bourbon county
    Other notable beers
    RR sours (most hold up well for at least a couple years, some for many)
    alesmith wee heavy
    saison brett and saison rue are both nice with a year or 2

11. JasonLovesBeer

JasonLovesBeer Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)

Cantillon gueuze
    Hair of the Dog - Adam
    Logsdon Seizoen Brett (or similar)
    And a handful of RIS's - for example Black Butte XX__

12. CrackTheSkye

Beer Trader

Wish we got hair of the dog stuff out here, always wanted to try it. I'm also going to add Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and TenFidy.

13. SkiBum22

SkiBum22 Zealot (595) Oct 18, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Goose Island BCS. A place in Astoria still has cases of last years (2012) vintage. Going to split a case with my buddy to put in the cellar before this years release comes to NYC

14. CrackTheSkye

Beer Trader

BCS I would also consider an essential. Although it's a little more pricey, and not always readily available it's toooo classic not to have

15. JasonLovesBeer

I have to drive 8 hours south to get HotD but can manage to do that twice a year or so

16. youradhere

Beer Trader

Doggie claws and Adam age awesomely, not really sold in aging BA anything though, but that's how I roll.

17. Dupage25

Dupage25 Aspirant (279) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

Samichlaus Helles
    JW Lees Harvest Ale
    Goose Island Bourbon County Stout
    Goose Island Sofie
    North Coast Old Stock Ale

18. youradhere

Beer Trader

Old cellar dweller might fare well as well, since you are in BC you should be able to snag a few. I've had experience with Old Stock, and I found that it starts to fall apart after 4 years, YMMV.

19. quinnsi

quinnsi Aspirant (239) Nov 22, 2008 Illinois

Essentials, as in, no cellar is complete without it?

Bell's Expedition Stout
    J.W. Lee's
    Traditional Lambic

I think you could also throw De Dolle Stille Nachte in there as well.

20. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Initiate (60) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I've already said most of what I'm going to say in other threads, but it fits and bears repeating. The beers that have aged best in my experience happen to usually be inexpensive and readily available. Old Stock is my absolute favorite and I want to start buying it by the case every year. I've had it at up to 7 years old, and it just keeps getting better. Other good ones are Stone IRS, Fred, Adam, Alaskan Barleywine, and JW Lee's Harvest. The only rare(ish) beers I've had that I like aging are Thomas Hardy's, BCBS, and Abyss. I was unemployed over the Summer and demolished my cellar; now that I have steady work again, I'm going to restock it, and I think I'm going to stick to getting a bunch of Old Stock, Fred, Stone IRS, and Abyss and try to just stick everything else in the fridge for immediate consumption.

21. DrPhunk

DrPhunk Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2013 Illinois

Backwoods Bastard is a great one that I haven't seen mentioned yet. Always try to buy up as much as possible each year and sit on it. It's always available on draft at the same time so I don't feel the need to crack my bottles right away.

22. JT99125

JT99125 Initiate (0) May 7, 2013 New Jersey

The essentials I currently am aiming to have a few cases "cellar'd" to help last me through the year is some Narwhal, Breakfast stout, and TenFidy. I know coffee fades overtime, but I've had a year aged founders breakfast stout and still found it pretty amazing.

23. CrackTheSkye

Beer Trader

I too have no problem with the fading coffee flavor. Although I thoroughly enjoy the coffee, once it fades I feel there is more flavor underneath it that is just as delicious.

24. 4kbrianb

4kbrianb Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2013 California

I have always tried to have a few options of RR sours stocked and available, but I suck at not drinking them.... which I guess is what I am supposed to do with the bottles. So the collection doesn't usually last as long as I want, typically around a year instead of 2 haha. Luckily I am headed up north next week and will try to get my hands on whatever they let me.

25. ezperkins2

ezperkins2 Aspirant (298) Jan 3, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Stone has some easy to get beers that age wonderfully. I really love IRS, OG and Double Bastard with a few years on them.

ThomasMetal75 likes this.
  26. CrackTheSkye

Beer Trader

I love the IRS also and it really is an essential at how cheap and readily available it is. Never tried aging the Double Bastard though, wasn't sure how it would develop.

27. hopswap1

hopswap1 Disciple (365) Apr 27, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Lot of great things mentioned already, I will add third coast old ale and cw bbbw

28. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Devotee (481) Sep 24, 2012 Nebraska
    Beer Trader

Not sure if it's been mentioned but what's the word on Great Divide Hibernation with a few years on it?

29. sweemzander

sweemzander Poo-Bah (2,336) Mar 26, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Some of my favorite beers to age. I always try to grab some when they come out to keep verticals going, though the sours are getting harder to keep tracking down some from each vintage year:

3F Oude Gueuze
    Bells Expedition
    Bells Third Coast Old
    Boulevard Saison Brett
    Cantillon Classic Gueuze & Iris
    Central Waters BBBW
    DFH Olde School BW
    Founders Old Curmudgeon
    Goose Island Bourbon County Stout
    HOTD Adam & Doggie Claws
    JW Lees Harvest & barrel variants
    Kuhnhenn 4D / BA 4D
    North Coast Old Stock
    Pelican MOAS
    SN Bigfoot

Spinaltapped likes this.
  30. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Poo-Bah (3,159) Jun 9, 2006 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Its really good after one year and even better after two. I did not care for it at years three four or five.

CowsandBeer likes this.
  31. kojevergas

kojevergas Poo-Bah (7,163) Aug 15, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Another vote for Old Stock Ale. Definitely Abyss as well.

Chimay Blue deserves a mention.
    Pannepot and all its variants.
    Great Divide Yeti.
    Dupont Avec Les Bon Voeux.
    Fantome Saisons.

32. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Disciple (386) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

I think of saisons and sours as something not to let sit too, too long, but I'll have to try it. I have a few from Fantome and Blaugies that have some years on them only for not getting around to cracking them on the requisite summer's evening with a group. Now I'm wondering about edging them toward the back of the shelf. I could consider the same for some Rodenbach CR under cork. Otherwise, I have managed through blessed proximity and even of buying to be able to keep a stock of gueuzes or other lambic variants around for the long haul, and I have accidentally over the years banked a few cases of various quads and imperial this-and-thats. The strange one that I've been talked into is Orval. As the go-to crowd pleaser, it has decently rapid traffic through my house, but, I've gotten into the habit of buying a case a year or so and give it a year's novitiate before bringing it out. So now I see a circle coming together, as the brett character has obviously contributed in some way to that, so why not the saisons?

Gueuze_Goon likes this.
  33. CrackTheSkye

Beer Trader

Not really understating your question here buddy. But your essentials would be sours and saisons? Or something lol

34. Dupage25

Not sure what the question is. If you are implying that saisons have brett, I would venture a guess and say that less than half do. So they probably don't age that well.

I have extremely limited experience aging sours, but "I started out aging everything and now only age gueuze" is a not uncommon saying here. It's usually just gueuze though and some Lou Pepe fruit stuff. A lot of the Flemish reds/oud bruins are pasteurized and won't get any more sour or funky, so those tend to be seen as iffy in the cellar.

35. Dupage25

I'm adding one more essential I forgot in my first post: Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van de Kaizer Blue.

36. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Disciple (386) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

Rhetorical question. I was just saying that I was inspired to throw aside a few extra things and see what happens. Beer is actually somewhat cheap compared to cellaring wine, booze, other comestibles (cheese)... Don't tell anyone I said that!

Dupage25 likes this.
  37. Twitcho

Twitcho Initiate (160) Aug 1, 2012 Utah
    Beer Trader

I like to keep a few around:

Stone IRS
    Stone Double Bastard
    BCBS
    Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast and Brunch
    Alesmith Speedway Stout

38. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,036) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I'm usually an advocate for aging ten fidy, but last years batch evolved into an oxidized raisin bomb. Had the last of my 2012 with the first of my 2013, and the 2013 knocks its socks off. Look into avery'sdemons of ale series, and their uncle jacobs stout also ages well. They aren't as available as others, but I do see the demons turding up shelves.

39. Rizalini

Rizalini Zealot (537) Jan 20, 2011 Nevada
    Beer Trader

I thought Black Butte was a porter...

40. JasonLovesBeer

an 11% porter is no different than a RIS

swoopdog, ThomasMetal75 and Dupage25 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.